Giséle of Cysoing - How many children?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, April 22, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
4/22/2021 at 9:45 AM

Private User asks

1. How many children did St. Eberhard, margrave & duke of Friuli and Giséle of Cysoing have, depending on sources this number ranges from 4-13! And an additional (single) source shows Eberhard with a second wife/mistress who fathered one additional child, not even inferred anywhere else! But we have the will of Eberhard and Gisela that identifies only seven children receiving inheritance, however, the article on Eberhard by the Treccani Institute names nine children, eight of whom inherited. (2)
2. There was Gerold II and Erich of Friuli who both fought and died in the same year (799) against the Avars. And then later their progeny, Gerold III (Gerold II's nephew; likely father of Adalric, St. Eberhards's nephew) -- and "Baldric" of Friuli were sent again to fight the Bulgars in 826. Baldric of Friuli was “likely” Gerold's brother-in-law, Adalric's uncle and brother of St. Eberhard. Was this Baldric the same as Baldéric de Betüwe, comte de Betüwe ca 810-846 brother of Saint-Evrard de Frioul in some sources who was also marquis de Fruili 819-828 and who in 828 was “removed from office” as marquis by Eberhard for his “failure to have mounted an effective defense against the Bulgars during their invasion of 827”? (marquis at 9, fired at 18?).

Private User
4/22/2021 at 10:39 AM

"Baldric of Friuli was “likely” Gerold's brother-in-law, Adalric's uncle and brother of St. Eberhard."

It has since come to light (following more research) that Balderic was actually 'French' (i.e. Frankish, Franconian) like his predecessor, Cadolaco. So not related to the Friulis.

(By the way, there is no Geni profile for Balderic that I'm aware of.)

After the deaths of both Erich of Friuli (d. 799 in battle) and of the elder Gerold who died the same year under similar circumstances, Charlemagne gave Friuli to Cadalaco. About 20 years later, Cadalaco died and was succeeded by Balderico (appointed by Louis the Pious).

"And the Duchy by order of Louis passed "to Balderico"."

The nephew of that Gerold, Gerold III, was the one involved with helping Balderic to protect their borders. Balderic was eventually deposed for failing his commission and I don't know what became of Gerold III.

We all agree that Adalric/Odalric's parents have not been positively identified, although it is reasonable to assume that he probably was the nephew of St. Everard and of Gisele ("nostro" in their will of 863, proved 867). And Cawley seems to agree as well.

Additionally, I have recently learned that a "Count Odelrico" (count of the sacred palace and marquis of Friuli) enjoyed a great deal of favor with King Berengar I.

Adalric (Udalrich)

4/22/2021 at 9:34 PM

I'm trying to follow this and think I need a graphic organizer. I have a descent now of son Adelhard von Burc, abbé de Cysoing as my 31st great grandfather, but I am not sure from what I read. Can we get a list of the 8-9 children named? Is that possible in the literature? Thank so much for the research. This is not my area, but I follow and try to keep up.

Private User
4/23/2021 at 8:59 AM

Susanne Floyd Adelhard, abbé de Cysoing is your 34th great grandfather.

4/23/2021 at 11:34 AM

Private User, last night, he was my 31st! Ha! Don't you love Geni, cousin. :-)

Private User
4/24/2021 at 12:32 PM

Susanne Floyd I love Geni, I meant to say he's my 34 great-grandfather

Private User
4/24/2021 at 5:04 PM

Susanne Floyd
The answer isn’t easy. I asked because Cawley shows 11 in MEDLANDS, Stewart Baldwin shows 9 in his Henry Project, Manfred-Heibl shows 8 and Geni shows 12. If one looks at the will of Everard and Gisela 8 received inheritance but that could just mean some were not living at the time the will was written. I am aware of three who died prior to the will so 3+8=11, Cawley may be right. But, one who apparently died was the namesake Eberhard who apparently lived only 3 years, he is supposed by some to have been the first born in 837 the year after the marriage of Everard and Gisela. But the will states that Unroch was the first born! Maybe that was because of laws having to do with wills and progenitor but I don’t know, that’s why I asked.

4/24/2021 at 6:22 PM

Private User, I think you all are doing pretty great considering. There is another possibility of a will that I find from time to time - a settlement occurred earlier. Sometimes that happened with daughters or sons moved away west in the early days of the US and they just were not named in the will. It's a lucky day if the parent feels so moved to mention their names and that a settlement was made.

Thanks for the response, David.

10/6/2021 at 12:36 PM

Giséle of Cysoing is my 28th great aunt.

10/6/2021 at 2:48 PM

Gisele of Cysoing is my 32 nd great grandmother.

Private User
10/7/2021 at 4:08 AM

Geni says today
Giséle of Cysoing is your 33rd great grandmother.
Adelhard von Burc, abbé de Cysoing is your 35th great grandfather.
St. Eberhard, margrave & duke of Friuli is your 33rd great grandfather.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion