• J P Weyers
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
J P Weyers
6/18/2021 at 1:47 AM

Stephanus Schoeman (14 March 1810 – 19 June 1890) was President of the South African Republic from 6 December 1860 until 17 April 1862. His red hair, fiery temperament and vehement disputes with other Boer leaders earned him the moniker "Stormvogel den Noorden," "Storm bird of the North."

Schoeman married three times, finally marrying the widow Elsie Maria Aletta (née van Heerden) of the political figure state-head Pieter Johannes Potgieter, arch-antagonist of Andries Pretorius. Elsie Maria Aletta had children with both political leaders in their marriages and started a family famous for political and society influence. Her daughter Elsie Maria Aletta Potgieter was the mother of the famous doctor, successful businessman, Broederbond leader and Member of Parliament Dr. Pieter Johannes Potgieter Stofberg, whose father Ds. Jan Hendrik Malan Stofberg was Secretary and Head of NG churches in South-Africa.

Schoeman's son with his second wife Gertina Johanna Schutte, General Hendrik Jacobus Schoeman, went on to fight in the Anglo-Boer War of 1899 – 1902. One of his daughters with Schutte, Catharina Christina Susanna Schoeman, married the Boer general, Johannes Hermanus Michiel Kock.[3]

His grandson, Dr. Gustav Preller became not only a leading historian but a renowned "Taalstryder," or champion of the Afrikaans language, while one of his sons, Johan Schoeman achieved renown as a publisher of anti-Communist materials.

A great-grandson, Hendrik Schoeman was the Minister of Transport for decades. Minister Schoeman was also a cousin of Dr. Pieter Johannes Potgieter Stofberg.

J P Weyers
6/18/2021 at 1:55 AM

Too many Broederbond members think they are Saul of Tarsus and on the way to the Economic realties of south Africa saw the error of their ways and converted .

Cancelled memberships ? I often wonder .

Private User
6/18/2021 at 2:44 AM

Dankie vir die inligting. Verskaf asb. die bron aan my. Sal dit waardeer. Dankie by voorbaat. Sal graag die inligting by die projek wil voeg. Gee jy om as ek dit doen?

Groete,
Y. DROST

J P Weyers
6/18/2021 at 3:09 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanus_Schoeman

References

http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/places/villages/gauteng/pretoria/... SA History Online, Pretoria, Period of Civil War.
Ferreira, O. J. O. (1978). Stormvoël van die Noorde : Stephanus Schoeman in Transvaal. Pretoria: Makro-Boeke. ISBN 0909231508. OCLC 505722228.
South African Genealogies: Vol 11. GISA. Stellenbosch: Genealogical Institute of South Africa. 2004. p. 19. ISBN 0-7969-0370-0. OCLC 18051341.
Statham, Francis Reginald (1898). Paul Kruger and his times. p. 63.

Sal byvoeg wat en wie ek kry . My ma gee my ook nog inligting wie was Broeders in Klerksdorp en Wes Transvaal asook Hartswater .

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion