Two Abagail/Abagail Harrelsons??????

Started by Susanne Floyd on Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts
9/1/2021 at 5:36 AM

While researching a whole other line (Hodges family), I ran into these profiles:

Abagail Hariet (Harrelson) Grice

Birth: 1780

South Carolina, United States

Death: 1845 (64-65)

Conecuh, Alabama, United States

Immediate Family: Daughter of Benjamin Harrelson, I and Celia Harrelson

and

Abigail Hodge

Birth: 12, 1772

Horry County, South Carolina USA

Death: November 12, 1855 (82-83)

Conecuh County, Alabama

Place of Burial: Escambia County, Alabama, United States of America

Immediate Family: Daughter of Josiah Lairl Harrelson, Sr. and Mary Ann (Vick) Harrelson

Then there is the Find a Grave entry for https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/54005657/abigail-grice

BIRTH 12 Oct 1772 South Carolina, USA

DEATH 12 Nov 1855 (aged 83) Alabama, USA

BURIAL Still Cemetery

Escambia County, Alabama, USA

MEMORIAL ID 54005657 · View Source

Who has a child named Benjamin and a note in "Flowers" - "In Mrmory (sic) of Abigail (Harrelson) Grice, daughter of Benjamin Harrelson Senior. Benjamin Harrelson's Will 2 Mar 1802 in Georgetown District, SC , mentions " daughter Abigal Grice. Jacob Grice is in the Will as an Executor. May you rest in peace."

Will of Benjamin Harrelson follows.

9/1/2021 at 5:39 AM

https://www.sciway3.net/proctor/marion/wills/HarrelsonBenj1.html

Will of Benjamin Harrelson notes "beloved daughter Abigal Grice".

Private
9/1/2021 at 6:56 AM

Will attach the info and her profile to B.H. as father. Thank you.

9/1/2021 at 7:04 AM

I found an entry for where one Abigail Harrelson, daughter of Josiah and Mary Vick married a Thomas Hodges of South Carolina over on Ancestry. That was what got this investigation started, though I should have found the possible duplicates in the Abigails earlier.

9/1/2021 at 7:05 AM

I honestly think there WERE two Abigails, just like there are multiple Benjamins and Josiahs in both of these brother's lines.

9/1/2021 at 7:11 AM

Private, I am trying to find the parents of Susanna Alford and Josiah Hodges I have always known they were siblings due to long established family relationships, history, etc. Just have lost who their parents were. If a Thomas Hodges (who did live in the area) and Abigail Harrelson, daughter or granddaughter of Josiah Harrelson and Mary Vick Harrelson could be the parents is the most plausible answer that I can find. I wish I could find DNA evidence, but not sure how/who to go to for this.

9/1/2021 at 7:13 AM

I am named for Susanna Alford my 3rd great grandmother. This has driven me crazy to try to find her parents.

Private
9/1/2021 at 7:18 AM

If you test with 23andMe, they do the work on the atdna back to gen 5 for you if your 3rd cousins from that line test with them and then you can determine where you fit in with the 4th cousins and determine who were her parents.

9/1/2021 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for that info Private. I have worked on adding the will to Benjamin Sr.'s profile in sources and cleaning up around Abagail Hariet (Harrelson) Grice

Look them over for me and let me know if I need to do anything else. I'll try to tackle working on the other Abigail later, but need to hit my grading pile right now. I have a stack of it. :-)

9/1/2021 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for that info Private. I have worked on adding the will to Benjamin Sr.'s profile in sources and cleaning up around Abagail Hariet (Harrelson) Grice

Look them over for me and let me know if I need to do anything else. I'll try to tackle working on the other Abigail later, but need to hit my grading pile right now. I have a stack of it. :-)

Private
9/1/2021 at 3:31 PM

You're welcome. The best way to find your 3rd grandma's mother is via her mtdna direct female line.

9/1/2021 at 4:25 PM

I know. Going to have to find someone, but I am not sure who that will be. If my paternal aunt was alive, she would be a candidate. She died as a child. My grandmother would have been, but alas, DNA was just whispered about in her life time.

Private
9/1/2021 at 4:40 PM

Idea. Click on Actions Tab. Click Descendants. See who shows in the line and email within Geni.

9/1/2021 at 7:51 PM

Sadly, Private, there are no known direct maternal line descendants living of Susanna Alford

Daughter Ava "Avy" Jane Blanton had 4 daughters of her 9 children, but only one married and had children - my great grandmother Helen Ann Roberts

Helen Roberts had only one daughter, my grandmother Attelia "Attie" Floyd who had two sons, one of them my father.

I am working on the descendants of Susanna's next daughter Clarkey Blanton but so far have found only two sons (still looking though as the relationship information is new). Daughter Helen Victoria McDuffie Blanton had one daughter who died as a youth.

Daughter Julia Ann Elizabeth "Annie Eliza" Alford disappeared from a stage coach between Conway, SC and Wilmington, NC on her way to accept a teaching position. She was never seen again. So the maternal line of Susanna may have ended. I am still going to work on it and see. The 23 and me may be my best best. I have taken so many DNA tests that it is ridiculous, but I do learn a few things each time.

Here is a story for you. I have never been able to find out much about what happened to Susanna and her husband Meredith Alford after the 1860 census. He was by all accounts a successful businessman, farmer, and appointed Deputy Sheriff of Horry County in the 1850s. They disappear completely after 1860.

Well a week or so ago, a lady in Vermont contacted me with a story about Meredith being in the Jacksonville, FL area in the 1860s. No Susanna, but son Meredith, Jr. was with him. She had taken Ancestry DNA and was a match to many in the "thrulines" for Meredith. Seems that Susanna died between 1860 and 1862 and Meredith went to FL, met a young woman named Sarah Rowe, married her and started a family. Somehow, he was killed in a dispute with a neighboring family who disappeared afterwards to Texas. (I know, you can't make real life up.)

So I am working on all the documentation to set the records straight on what happened to Meredith and Susanna, but it still does not provide a direct female relative. Oh well.

9/1/2021 at 8:24 PM

David, this has been staring me in my face for years and I just now connected the dots. I was looking on the profile of Josiah Lairl Harrelson, Sr. and I am pretty sure that I put that will on there back a few years ago.

"My son, Josiah to have the upper part and my grand son, Josiah Hodge the lower part. Item I give and bequeath to my son, John, the plantation whereon I now reside. Up the Long Branch to the lower edge of the first cove, above the first branch cove, the plantation, and from the lower edge of said cove; a direct East course to an agreed line between myself and John W. Norton, and from the lower edge of said cove direct across long branch west to Thomas Hodge's land with each and every part of my lands, South of the line above mentioned with my plantation tools and Beaufot."

He goes on to say that "Item I give and bequeath to my daughter, Abigal, two hundred and fifty acres of land during her life; and after her decease to the lawful heirs of her body, whereon she now resides; adjoining lands Granted to William Watters." and talks about "above the two hundred acres given to Josiah Hodge and Josiah Harrelson."

If I am connecting the dots right, the Abigail, daughter of Josiah Liarl Harrelson Sr. is the likely wife of Thomas Hodge whose land adjoins Josiah Sr. and he gives his grandson Josiah Hodge (my uncle and the brother of my 3rd great grandmother) some 200 acres of property along and gives another 200 acres to his son, Josiah Liarl, Harrelson Jr.

Do you think we have this right? Abigail and Thomas named a son Josiah after her father, which was a custom of the area and they named a daughter Susanna - for her sister Susanna or Su Song also written in English sometimes as Susanna (I have seen it that way). I had no idea all of that was in the will. Jeez.

If this is anywhere near right, that may be as close as we get to documentation. I can search the property records to see if deeds were recorded next. Mercy!

Private
9/1/2021 at 8:38 PM

Yes, are you going to build onto Abigail's profile the Thomas Hodge spouse?

9/1/2021 at 9:18 PM

David, if you look over the evidence, I will. I think it is pretty well said in the Will of Josiah. Believe it or not, I grew up there and know about where those boundaries are from what my grandmother told me when we would drive by places.

I just posted a land grant on Josiah Lairl Harrelson, Sr. profile from Governor Moultrie for 150 acres in 1784 (in the ninth year of Independence) and I want to find out if it was for service or aid. The John C. Grainger that witnessed his will is another direct ancestor of mine and I was able to verify his Revolutionary Service.

Many of us who grow up down there and have relatives that go back farther than dirt just know we descend from Natives, Colonists, and Revolutionaries. We sort of take it for granted. I am trying to do my best to document the Native connections there and the Revolutionaries. We are in the heart of The Swamp Fox, Francis Marion territory and he studied Native American warfare and had relationships. Perhaps this is one. I will do some more, but yes, I think it is a reasonable connection. Do you? I trust your knowledge and experience on this.

Private
9/1/2021 at 9:29 PM

U bet

9/1/2021 at 9:57 PM

Well, I will do profiles for Thomas Hodge/s attached to Abagail and attach children Susannah and Josiah. I have DNA somewhere that does the Susanna/Josiah were siblings connection, but also oral history. Always knew that. Just in the dark about their parents until now.

While we are on the Harrelsons, here is something else.

45 Joseph Cannon Grainger & Susanna, his wife vs Moses Harrelson, admr. of John Lewis, decd [1803] Writ of partition 22 Mar 1805. Heirs: John Cannon Grainger & wife Susanna, Ann, wife of Moses Harrelson, siste, Mable [decd] wife of Arthur Herring, sister and her three children: John, Elizabeth & Susanna [last actually a sister of John Lewis] Commissioners: William Norton, William Strickland, John Hallam & Josiah Lewis. Judgment signed 22 Jan 1806.

I am going to do a bit of research, but I think this is a John C. Jr. (I know he is not John C Grainger and Charity, my direct ancestors - I think a generation lower) and Moses is a son of Josiah Sr. Let me see what I can find. It is so complicated. I put sources that I find to match dates and don't even realize what I have found, like the will of Josiah. Thanks so much for walking me through this.

9/1/2021 at 11:54 PM

Private Look what I have done for Abigail Hodge now and her children Susanna and Josiah. Let me know what you think.

I may need to add the PDF to Abigail's and Josiah's profile. Let me know.

9/1/2021 at 11:55 PM

That is the PDF of Josiah Harrelson's will. Or will is suffice to have it just on his profile?

9/2/2021 at 8:44 AM

For review.

Thomas Hodge's farm is named as a boundary in the Will of Josiah Liarl Harrelson. In a review of the 1820 census, a Thomas Hodge and a John Hodge live next door to each other and one door down from Josiah.

Both Thomas and John have almost the exact same census data indicating they could be brothers or close kinsmen.

"United States Census, 1820," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHL7-6KZ : accessed 2 September 2021), Thomas Hodges, Horry, South Carolina, United States; citing p. 136, NARA microfilm publication M33, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 119; FHL microfilm 162,022.

In the 1820 census for Thomas: 2 males under the age of 10, 1 male between the age of twenty and forty, 1 female under the age of 10, and 1 female between the ages of 15 and 26.

"United States Census, 1820," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHL7-6VL : accessed 2 September 2021), John Hodges, Horry, South Carolina, United States; citing p. 136, NARA microfilm publication M33, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 119; FHL microfilm 162,022.

In the 1820 census for John: 2 males under the age of 10, 1 male between the age of twenty and forty, 1 female between the ages of 15 and 26.

"United States Census, 1830," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHP6-1SH : 20 February 2021), Thomas Hodges, Horry, South Carolina, United States; citing 267, NARA microfilm publication M19, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 170; FHL microfilm 22,504.

In the 1830 census for Thomas: 2 males under the age of 5, 1 male under the age of 10, 1 male between 40 and 50; 1 female between 10 - 15 and 1 female between 40 and 50.

"United States Census, 1830," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHP6-1QM : 20 February 2021), John Hodges, Horry, South Carolina, United States; citing 269, NARA microfilm publication M19, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 170; FHL microfilm 22,504.

For John: 2 males 10-15, 1 male between 40 and 50; 1 female 20-30. John is not living next door to Thomas this census, but next door to Isaiah Harrelson and it appears 1st wive who was near his age is deceased. The female may be his daughter or a new wife.

In 1840, Meredith Alford, spouse of Susanna Hodges is next door to Thomas Hodges and John Hodges is the next house over from Thomas.

"United States Census, 1840," database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHYL-4FW : 2 March 2021), Thos Hodges, Horry, South Carolina, United States; citing p. 325, NARA microfilm publication , (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll ; FHL microfilm .

For Thomas: 1 male between 15 and 20 and 1 male between 50 and 60; 1 female under 5 and 1 female between 50 and 60.

"United States Census, 1840," database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHYL-4X5 : 8 December 2020), John Hodges, Horry, South Carolina, United States; citing p. 325, NARA microfilm publication , (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll ; FHL microfilm .

For John: 2 males between 20 and 30, 1 male between 50 and 60 and 1 male between 60 and 70; 1 female between 40 and 50.

Who is the older man in the census with John in 1840?

Neither John Hodges or Thomas Hodges appear in census data past 1840, sadly. More research to come.

Placeholder Hodge

Private
9/2/2021 at 11:42 AM

The community mass migration from Hodges Ferry, NC is likely from when they hailed, like the rest of these settlers who moved in mass waves. The Hodge lateral group in 1812 of this group came to MS with the Williams, et al to do the war fare of 1812.

9/2/2021 at 1:17 PM

I would bet money on that too with the Horry County Hodges who seem different than the Marion County Hodges so far. Here is my summary so far:

We know that Susanna Hodges Alford and Josiah Hodges, Sr. were siblings from family data (records, acknowledged kinship, dna, etc.).

Josiah Hodges, Sr. is named as the grandson of Josiah Liarl Harrelson, Sr. in JLH's will indicating that one of JLH's daughters was the mother of Josiah Hodges and Susanna Hodges Alford.

Now, which one - Abigail, Mary Ann, or Susannah? Lucretia married William W. Norton and moved to Barbour, Alabama, so not likely her - unless the children were older and she left them behind. Based on the date of the Will and JHL's death, it seems unlikely that Lucretia is the mother of the two grandchildren.

Then there are John and Thomas Hodges, one of whom is most likely the father of the siblings based on census data/location and the lack of other Hodges in the area. I have found the name of a Robert Hodge/s and will look into him as a possibility, but I do not think these Hodges are the same as the Hodges from Marion County at this point, though we know that we cannot say that for the Harrelsons who seem to be all descended from Paul and Patience. One set of Joseph Harrelson's children was in Horry County (son Josiah Liarl) and one set in nearby Brunswick and Columbus County, NC (Joseph Jr.). Son Moses Harrelson's line wandered between counties and across the state line. Old Joseph's brother Benjamin Harrelson, I was in Marion and the families were all connected and knew it.

More research, but for now - work calls.

9/2/2021 at 7:19 PM

1790 census households listed for James Hodge, Robert Hodge, and Joseph Hodge.

"United States Census, 1790," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHKN-GH7 : accessed 3 September 2021), Robert Hodge, Prince Georges, Georgetown, South Carolina, United States; citing p. 507, NARA microfilm publication M637, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 11; FHL microfilm 568,151.

Also on the same page - Households for Josiah Harralson; Benjamin Harralson; Joseph Harralson, Jr.;Joseph Harralson, Sr.; Lewis Harralson; Benjamin Harralson, Jr.; another Benjamin Harralson; Cage Harralson; and Jeremiah Harralson.

9/3/2021 at 3:09 PM

No Hodges appear in the 1800 Kingston (Horry) County census that I can find, indicating that James, Robert, and Joseph Hodge could have moved or been located in current Georgetown County or all three died. But in the 1820 census on....

I am almost wondering if Thomas and John Hodges were brothers and married two of the Harrelson sisters. No proof, but a musing.

Private
9/3/2021 at 3:29 PM

There are a boat load of them in Pearl River Co, MS from said group.

9/3/2021 at 4:13 PM

Half my father's side of the family moved to MS at one time or another. Look at what I found:

http://www.hchsonline.org/land/deed1.html

45 Joseph Cannon Grainger & Susanna, his wife vs Moses Harrelson, admr. of John Lewis, decd [1803] Writ of partition 22 Mar 1805. Heirs: John Cannon Grainger & wife Susanna, Ann, wife of Moses Harrelson, siste, Mable [decd] wife of Arthur Herring, sister and her three children: John, Elizabeth & Susanna [last actually a sister of John Lewis] Commissioners: William Norton, William Strickland, John Hallam & Josiah Lewis. Judgment signed 22 Jan 1806.

Need to make sense of above. Apparently Ann Harrelson wife of Moses Harrelson was a daughter of John Lewis. I thought perhaps that Moses' sister Susannah was the Susannah mentioned who was married to John Cannon Grainger, but I think she was a Lewis also. Tell me what you think, David.

I have the Lewis family in Horry pretty well documented. I will try to find John Lewis of this notation for Ann Harrelson.

Private
9/3/2021 at 4:40 PM

It is the Waggamaw John Lewis. . . of said person comes the land from the Chief of Churrah, Thomas Parker who had no children. The land got flipped by Moses Floyd and Choctaw Bill when the crew headed out with municians supplier Choctaw Bill (pre BIA Indian Agent). Patriot Josiah (Joshua) Lewis is from the Lewis supplier of ammo to the War of 1812.

Private
9/3/2021 at 4:41 PM

Waggamaw, i.e. Waccamaw

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion