Started by Private User on Wednesday, January 26, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 23 posts
Private User
1/26/2022 at 1:34 PM

May have been Roger "de Hell"'s *sister* (Washington Ancestry thinks so) rather than his daughter.

We have Roger's birth date bracketed to c. 1170-1172, which makes it rather difficult for him to have a daughter of marriageable age who had either one or two daughters with Alan of Galloway by 1206.

MedLands has the following: [Keith Stringer quotes] a charter, dated to [19 Dec 1200/1206], under which "Alanus filius Rollandi, dominus Galuuaith Scotie constabularius…et heredibus meis" gave quitclaim to "Rogero de Lascy Cestrie constabularius et heredibus suis" for "advocationem ecclesie de Kipeis"[453]. Her parentage and marriage are [sort of] confirmed by the following document: the Curia Regis rolls record in 1214 “John [de Lacy] de warrantia carte de terra de Kippes...should warrant the charters of his father Roger which Alan [de Galloway]...has concerning the maritagium of his sister”[454].

Notice that Galloway quitclaims the advowson of Kippax to *Roger*, not John.

Notice also that "his sister" in the 1214 roll can refer to *either* John *or* Roger - it is not specified which of them is intended.

Private User
1/26/2022 at 1:43 PM

Tagging Sharon Doubell: Sharon Doubell

1/27/2022 at 10:53 AM

You'll need to remind me to come back here over the weekend, Maven.

1/28/2022 at 9:47 PM

We seem to have no primary sources for his 1171 birthdate. Erin Ishimoticha
I'm going to remove it, pending those.

1/28/2022 at 10:23 PM

If he was 90 when he died, he could have been born as early as 1121.

1/28/2022 at 10:49 PM
>Re: Notice that Galloway quitclaims the advowson of Kippax to *Roger*, not John.

"Alanus filius Rollandi, dominus Galuuaith Scotie constabularius…et heredibus meis" gave quitclaim to "Rogero de Lascy Cestrie constabularius et heredibus suis" for "advocationem ecclesie de Kipeis"
"Alan son of Rolland, lord Constable of Galway of Scotland and my heirs" gave quitclaim to "Roger de Lascy of Chester constable and his heirs" for "the advowson of the church of Kipeis"

Why would he give it to his brother in law John, in preference to his father in law Roger?

cf John de Lacy, 2nd Earl of Lincoln, Magna Carta Surety

1/28/2022 at 11:03 PM

the Curia Regis rolls record in 1214 “John [de Lacy] de warrantia carte de terra de Kippes...should warrant the charters of his father Roger which Alan [de Galloway]...has concerning the maritagium of his sister”[454].

"John [Lacy] warranty charter of the land of Kippes..should warrant the charters of his father Roger which Alan [de Galloway]...has concerning the maritagium of his sister

1/28/2022 at 11:10 PM

While, I agree that it is possible, there seems no really good reason to preference sister over daughter, unless we have proof of his birth dates, in my opinion.

Private User
1/29/2022 at 6:02 AM

We don't have proof of *anybody's* birth dates, is the problem.

John de Lacy's birth date has been guesstimated (by Cawley) as [1192]. If you figure around that, things get very tight for any sister of his to be wedded, bedded and produce either one or two daughters by 1206.

This is probably why the Washington Ancestry page preferred to set Alice as Roger's sister and John's aunt: http://washington.ancestryregister.com/FITZ_RICHARD200006.htm

It works the same either way, whether from father or brother: Kippax to Alice as maritagium, to her daughter as inheritance, and to her daughter's De Quincy husband jure uxoris.

1/29/2022 at 7:04 AM

Yes, but he dies young with that birthdate and a death date of 1240.
Why is Cawley assuming that he doesn't live to old age, I wonder?
If he did, his uterine sister would def be old enough to have had those children.

Roger could have been born as early as 1141.

Private User
1/29/2022 at 7:34 AM

Dr Keith Stringer, on whose researches so much of this argument depends, apparently did not originally commit himself as to the parentage of Alan de Galloway's first wife, and described her as "sister or dau[ghter] of Roger de Lacy, constable of Chester". https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/b75wVzcfDOg/m/...

The surviving record *explicitly said "Richard" [de Chester]*, not Roger, and ever since this was brought to their attention researchers have been jumping through hoops trying to explain why it is necessary to amend the record to "Roger".

Roger "de Hell" *did* have a younger brother named Richard, but about all that is known of him is that he contracted leprosy and died of it. And any attempt to work *him* into this just makes the chronology a bigger mess.

As far as setting a chronology, let's start with Aubreye de Lisours, whose first husband was Richard FitzEustace, Constable of Chester. (She's the conduit by which the "Lacy" name came into this family, as her mother was a Lacy.) FitzEustace has a firm death date of 1163, and Aubreye was on her third marriage by 1177 (she went through four husbands in all, and lived to see the year 1200).

Richard and Aubreye had one son for certain (John, constable of Chester) and probably three more children (son Robert, joined the Knights Hospitallers; daughter Sarah, married Robert de Aldworth; daughter Aubreye, married Henry Bisset).

John, constable of Chester in his turn, married Alice, probably the daughter of Roger FitzRichard of Warkworth, had (probably) four or more children, and went off to the Holy Land and got himself killed in October 1183 (text says "on Crusade", but there wasn't an active Crusade at the time, so it was a personal venture).

Our notorious Roger "de Hell" de Lacy was the first son and probably first child altogether, born no later than about 1173 (he was declared to be of age between 1193, when he became the heir of the Lacys and adopted the surname, and 1194/5, when he paid scutage for his properties in Yorkshire). That he is not on record prior to 1193 is an argument for an upper birth date of c. 1170.

There is *absolutely no way* that Roger "de Hell" could have been born as early as 1120. So forget *that!*

Private User
1/29/2022 at 7:42 AM

Strictly speaking, here's the first mention of Roger: “Johannes constabularius Cestrie” confirmed donations made by “Eustachii filii Johannis avi mei et uxoris illius Agnetis avie mee” to the nuns of Watton by charter dated to [1175/90], witnessed by “…Rogero [filio] constabulario Cestrie…”[445].

"Filio" has been filled in ex post facto - seems record-keeping up Yorkshire way was *very* poor in the 12th century. As to the dating of the charter, unless it's a later copy of the original (not unlikely, as there was a lot of that), it must have been drawn up before John de Chester took off for the Holy Land in 1183.

Private User
1/29/2022 at 7:50 AM

The record of John (fitzRoger) de Lacy's death comes from that "manuscript history of the Lacy family", with an explicit date of “XI Kal Aug 1240” - backed up by the Annals of Tewkesbury recording the death in Aug 1240 of “Johannes de Lacy comes Lyncolniæ”.

Aubreye de Lisours' longevity does not seem to have been passed on to her descendants - or else the males of the family kept getting themselves killed.

Private User
1/29/2022 at 8:11 AM

(Sharon): "Roger could have been born as early as 1141."

Oh no he couldn't. Aubreye de Lisours was his GRANDmother, not mother. And *her* highest recorded age, c. 1200, was "80", not 100-plus.

Aubreye born c. 1120, married before 1140, son John born about 1140-ish, and Roger wouldn't be showing up before 1160 at the *very* earliest (which is doubtful because there are *no* records of him acting as an independent adult prior to 1193).

Private User
1/29/2022 at 9:30 AM

Cawley doesn't want to believe that Aubreye de Lisours was born much before 1145, which makes the chronology much much tighter - probably too tight. https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISHNOBILITYMEDIEVAL3D-K.htm#Au...

1/29/2022 at 9:44 PM

Lol, Maven - you've convinced me. Shall I move her to be his sister?

1/29/2022 at 9:45 PM

And well done on the thorough and detailed research work.

Private User
1/30/2022 at 6:11 AM

Yes, I think she should be Roger's sister - the chronology works much better that way.

1/30/2022 at 7:25 AM

Remind me to come and do it next weekend, if you can't do it yourself now.

Private User
1/30/2022 at 8:02 AM

Curator has to do it, and I'm not one. (People tend to forget that.)

Private User
2/7/2022 at 6:49 AM

Thanks, Erica, it all makes more sense this way.

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion