Patrick Magee - Do not confuse for Patrick from Londonderry, Ireland who married Esther Pilson

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts

Awaiting help to confirm these are the same man:
Patrick Stuart McGee
Patrick Magee

One died in Georgia and one died in Missouri

Not the same as Patrick McGee

See https://www.geni.com/discussions/185015:
mergecompare:
Patrick Stuart McGee
Patrick Magee

but brings in a new wife

Y DNA attached
Patrick Magee #/tab/dna/scroll

I have been making correction after my two profiles were mismerged and rather than ask for an unmerge of two Esthers, I have added the second one back and on making corrections, many duplicates came up.
I am at a standstill at this point and the one profile is curated.
Help?

Aha! This is a line that is connected to NA ancestry.... makes sense they get messy down the line:
Polly Ann Ann "Wah-Li" Dawson
Polly Ann Ann "Wah-Li" Dawson (née Rogers) is the mother of Edna Magee Edna Magee (Dawson) who married James Magee James Magee who is son of Patrick Magee Patrick Magee and Rosanna MaGee (McCullar) Rosanna MaGee that I asked for help with above.
I'm still doing clean up below but these will need looked at
Curator for many are Ben but Polly is curated by Private User

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/McGee-4711
says:
Patrick Stuart McGee
Born about 1755 in North Carolinamap
Son of [father unknown] and [mother unknown]
[sibling(s) unknown]
Husband of Mary Elizabeth (Speer) McGee — married 12 Dec 1786 in Rowan, Bladen, North Carolina, United States

Biography
Patrick was born about 1740, probably in North Carolina or Virginia.

Marriage
He married Mary Speer 12 Dec 1786 in Rowan, North Carolina.[1]

The family seems to have migrated to Iredell County[2] then to Burke County, North Carolina.[3][4][5] before migrating to Habersham, Georgia in 1830.[6]

Notes
I believe this Patrick McGee may be Magee-336. I cannot confirm this, and there is considerable disagreement between researchers on WT around this matter. To avoid another unwanted merger of his page, I am leaving this Patrick McGee open as an unknown and unlinked to Magee-336. Other research shows Patrick McGee married to a Roseanne McCullar, which may or may not be correct. If you have documentation around either family, please share it. The Magee that married Roseanne McCullar entered the new world through Savannah, Georgia. The two families entered together and traveled with each other. The following paragraph describes their travels. There are maps of their land holdings. He is not related to Magee/McGee-4711.

In viewing land plays for Patrick Magee, there is a John Magee always near him or joint land ownership. I believe this is the Patrick married to Roseanne McCullar. This family continued on Missouri, while Patrick Stuart settled in Georgia. Patrick sStewart was always careful to record himself as Patrick S. This leads me to believe his father may have been Patrick Dennis Magee. Further research is required.

Admin notes 5/19/2020: In comparing DNA evidence with A Pendleton, another admin of Patrick McGee-336, we feel we have determined that we are discussing two different families. There seem to be two Patrick McGee's, one married to Roseanne McCullar, and another married to Mary Speer. While we agree there are two different families, and that each of us are descended from different families, we do not yet agree which Patrick is which. Please compare evidence carefully when evaluating these families. There was a Patrick McGee that immigrated through Savannah in 1771 with the McCullar family. If the evidence is to be believed they never touched North Carolina but settled several times in Georgia. So this Patrick s McGee could not have married Mary Speer. Stil there is no hard evidence to prove any of these two Patrick’s.

Sources
↑ North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 ," database with images, FamilySearch [1] : 3 November 2017), Pat Sturat Mcgee Gee and Mary Speer, 12 Dec 1786; citing Rowan, North Carolina, United States, p. , North Carolina State Archives Division of Archives and History; FHL microfilm 500,949.
↑ "United States Census, 1790," database with images, FamilySearch [2]: accessed 16 May 2020), Patrick Mcgee, Iredell, North Carolina, United States; citing p. 388, NARA microfilm publication M637, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 7; FHL microfilm 568,147.
↑ "United States Census, 1800," database with images, FamilySearch [3]: accessed 16 May 2020), Pattrick Mcgee, Burke, North Carolina, United States; citing p. 776, NARA microfilm publication M32, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 29; FHL microfilm 337,905.
↑ "United States Census, 1810," database with images, FamilySearch [4]: accessed 16 May 2020), Patrick S My??, Morganton, Burke, North Carolina, United States; citing p. 328, NARA microfilm publication M252 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 39; FHL microfilm 337,912.
↑ "United States Census, 1820," database with images, FamilySearch [5]: accessed 16 May 2020), Steward Mcgee, Burke, North Carolina, United States; citing p. 105, NARA microfilm publication M33, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 83; FHL microfilm 162,799.
↑ "United States Census, 1830," database with images, FamilySearch [6]: 11 August 2017), Patrick S Mcgee, Habersham, Georgia, United States; citing 58, NARA microfilm publication M19, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 18; FHL microfilm 7,038.
Research of Dustin Adkins, descendant of Patrick McGee and Mary Speer

See https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/McGee-1396
Patrick (McGee) MaGee (1750 - 1816)
Patrick MaGee formerly McGee aka Magee
Born 1750 in Ireland
Son of Unknown (Magee) McGee and [mother unknown]
Brother of Phelix (Magee) McGee and John Magee
Husband of Rosanna (McCullar) McGee — married 1778 in Burke, Georgia, United States

Father of Francis Magee Sr., John Magee, Felix Magee, Samuel Magee, Margaret (Magee) McCullar, Catherine (Magee) McCullar, Sarah (Magee) Crow, Mehalley (Magee) Clement, Martha (Magee) Rowsey and James Magee
Died 11 Feb 1816 at about age 66 in Missouri Territory, United States
PROBLEMS/QUESTIONS

Contents
[hide]
1 Biography
1.1 Confusion
1.2 Immigration
1.3 Marriage
1.4 Death
2 Sources
Biography

Patrick (McGee) MaGee was one of the Scots-Irish Immigrants to America 1718 onwards.
U.S. Southern Colonies Project logo
Patrick (McGee) MaGee was a Georgia colonist.
Confusion
This Patrick McGee is NOT the correct spouse for Mary Elizabeth Speer. She is being detached from this profile. Mary Speers married Patrick Stuart McGee in North Carolina. He lived exclusively in North Carolina until shortly after 1820.

Immigration
Patrick arrived two years before his brothers in late 1770 or January 1771 on the Hopewell, Thomas, Ash, Master, from the County Antrim, now Northern Ireland. There is no credible proof that he came from Island MaGee. He is the Patrick McGee, a passenger on the Hopewell, who was granted 100 acres in Queensborough Township, an Irish settlement near Savannah, in January 1771.[1][2]

In April 1772 the grant seems to have lapsed and he had to petition had to be reinstated.[3] He is seen in Burke County, Georgia in 1789.[4]

The Magees and McCullars intermarried with each other and with the Woods family and were neighbors for almost 40 years, until they separated about 1814 in Franklin County, TN. Patrick and his family and some of the McCullar family went to Missouri Territory and settled on the Pearl River. They later re-united about 1826 in McNairy County, Tennessee.

Marriage
He married Rosanne Mccullar about 1779 in Georgia. They had eleven children.[5] It seems that all children were born in Georgia since he seemed to live there continuously until about 1814.[6][7]

Francis "Frank," b. abt. 1780
John, b. c 1782
Felix, b. c. 1784
Mary, b. c. 1787
Samuel, b. c. 1789
Margaret, first wife of John McCullar
Katherine, 2nd wife of John McCullar
Sarah, b. c. 1796
Mehalley, mar. Mannan Clement
Martha, b. 1801
James, b. 1802
Death
Family tradition is that Patrick was a Revolutionary Soldier, but no record is found as he died in 1816 in Missouri Territory[8] and did not live to receive a pension in 1832.

Sources
↑ Georgia. Legislature. (1904). Colonial records of the State of Georgia. Atlanta, Ga.: Franklin Printing and Publishing Co..pg 226
↑ Georgia Legislature. 1904. Colonial records of the State of Georgia. Volume XI. Atlanta, Ga.: Franklin Printing and Publishing Co.pg 213
↑ Georgia Legislature. (1904). Colonial records of the State of Georgia. Volume XII. Atlanta, Ga. Franklin Printing and Publishing Co. pg 300
↑ Headright and Lottery Loose Plat File, Georgia Surveyor General, RG 3-3-26, Georgia Archives. Samuel McCollough was awarded 200 acres next to Patrick McGehee and David Woods
↑ Massey, Pauline Stewart. McGee-Thomson-Thompson-Brinley families : with data concerning the following sir [sic] names plus information on many allied families. Wichita, Kan.: unknown, 1966. Free Ancestry Image
↑ Jeffery, Alice. Georgia Tax Index, 1789-1799.[1]
↑ Massey, Pauline Stewart. McGee-Thomson-Thompson-Brinley families : with data concerning the following sir [sic] names plus information on many allied families. Wichita, Kan.: unknown, 1966. Free Ancestry Image
↑ Find a Grave.[2]
The Patrick Magee and Rosanna McCullar Family. [3]
Use with caution:

Carselowey, James Manford. Cherokee Pioneers. pg 66 Dates and places are off drastically.

CONCLUSION--- they are NOT the same man.
I need a curator to help discern WHICH man to disconnect form parents, please

Disconnected from Patrick Stuart McGee based on research notes above.

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/120450934/person/2... shows them with both wives

This is incorrect.
Asking him to be MP'd to prevent a bad merge.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion