Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 851 posts

I think animal -- well, pet -- genealogy in geni would be a bit much. But Secretariat? Maybe not.

We have enough profiles without getting into houses and ships:) But a "clean lineage" on the "Mayflower" in the wiki would be a nice little project.

Since you're a Fuller descendant maybe you and Hatte can proofread the descendency from here, ignoring of course the outstanding merge issues:

Samuel Fuller, "Mayflower" Passenger

Go to your "sent requests" and hit "cancel" I think.

Thanks Erica. We need to discuss Samuel Fuller. According to my family records, there were TWO Samuel Fullers -- the physician and Mayflower pilgrim, brother of the Mayflower Pilgrim, Edward Fuller, and Edward Fuller's son, Samuel, who was 12 years old. According to my cousin's book which is based on Aunt Elsie's notes, which is based on Taunton, Massachusetts records, Edward Fuller and his wife died the first winter and Dr. Samuel Fuller raised his nephew, Samuel.

Yes, that's correct.

I'm going to go to Aunt Elsie's actual notes and also talk with my cousin about the younger Samuel Fuller. He is supposedly the one who married Jane Lathrop. Their daughter, Mary Fuller, married Joseph Williams. I don't know if my cousin's sources are incorrect or if the Master Profile in Geni for Samuel Fuller (the physician) has conflated both his and his nephew and ward's information, which could easily be the case.

Don't have anything to add to the debate. Just thought to do some cross-posting of links. Does anybody know who h_chandler is (don't post his id here, just send him a message about this project).

Forum discussions:
http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=61521
http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=64421

It should be easy to get the Mayflower passengers details correct. I have not focused on this part of my family until now, because it's so well documented. I did just buy several histories of the Mayflower and of Plymouth Colony.

While I don't have the credentials to take this on, whoever does should seek the authoritative sources such as the family genealogies. I know that when you go to join one of these family associations, you have to bring credible proof for every generation and person you submit. And I'm positive that the first generations are very well documented.

Yes, there is a confusion here on Geni I believe and the TWO Samuels have been reduced to one Samuel who is both son of Edward Fuller and the physician.

There were TWO Samuel Fullers on the Mayflower. The 12 year old son of Edward Fuller and the adult physician brother of Edward Fuller.

According to my cousin's book and Aunt Elsie's notes presumably, Edward Fuller and Samuel Fuller were the children of Robert Fuller of Norfolk County, England. He had 8 children.

Edward Fuller had only ONE child, my ancestor (not the physician), Samuel.

Concerning The elder Samuel (brother of Edward) and (uncle of the younger Samuel) yes. something does seem odd on the MPs. For one thing, The MP for Edward does not list his brother (Doctor) Samuel.

Doctor Samuel, his brother Edward, Edward's wife, and Edward's son (Samuel) all came together on the Mayflower.

The younger Samuel, son of Edward (who died the first winter in Plymouth) married Jane Lathrop.

The younger Samuel was raised by his uncle "Doctor" Samuel.

Hatte, I suspect a geni- conflation, as your description is my understanding as well.

P.s. We were cross posting. anyway yes, we agree.

Yes, Kimberly, your link is excellent. Here is the link from that website (www.mayflowerhistory.com) for the young Samuel. There were two Samuels on the Mayflower.

http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/Passengers/Samuel2Fuller.php

Erica - will you clean it up? You're more expert. I have put in my family's records from Samuel Fuller (the son of Edward Fuller) and his wife, Jane Lathrop, on down. If you can use the mayflowerhistory site to clean up so that there are two Samuel Fullers each with his OWN history and not touchable (curated), that would be awesome. Thanks.

Please call me Kim. :-)

Heh, I updated my profile yesterday for more accuracy but now things are just getting goofy. LoL!

I'll look into straightening out the two Samuels also.

Thanks Kim. Once you straighten them up, I'll merge my Samuel Fuller (the younger) profile but I'm keeping it separate until then.

Edward Fuller has been generally identified as the son of Robert and Sara (Dunkhorn) Fuller, baptized on 4 September 1575 at Redenhall, Norfolk. However, a number of genealogical scholars and Mayflower researchers, including Robert S. Wakefield, Robert Sherman, Robert Leigh Ward, Robert C. Anderson, Eugene Stratton, Leslie Mahler, and others, have all questioned the identification over the past couple of decades. The current identification is based upon circumstantial evidence only: the fact that the names Samuel, Edward, and Ann occur within the same family; and the fact the father is identified as a butcher. Thomas Morton, writing in 1637, says that Samuel Fuller was the son of a butcher. The name Matthew also occurs in this Redenhall Fuller family. The counter-evidence is primarily that the ages for the Fullers appear to be too old, when compared to their marriage dates, the ages of their spouses, and with the births of their children.

The name of Edward Fuller's wife has not been discovered. In James Savage's Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England (1860-1862), Edward Fuller's wife was given as "Ann". However, there are no American or English records which give her name. I suspect James Savage may have made a simple typographical error: Mayflower passenger Edward Tilley had a wife Ann; or perhaps he was thinking of their sister Ann Fuller. None-the-less, numerous sources published after 1860 have utilized Savage's Genealogical Dictionary, and so the identification of Ann can be found in numerous other books and online resources.

So, in truth, very little is known about Edward Fuller. His English origins and the name of his wife are widely disputed. What is known is that he, his wife, and his son Samuel came on the Mayflower in 1620 to Plymouth. A single Leiden judicial document mentions Edward Fuller, and proves that he, like brother Samuel Fuller, were living in Leiden. Both Edward and his wife died the first winter, but son Samuel (who would have been about 12), survived. An older brother, Matthew, had stayed behind, and came to America later.

To the decendents of the Hopkins Pilgrims of the Mayflower...check out the web site PilgrimHopkins.com (it is an organization of decendents of Stephen Hopkins, known as the Pilgrims Hopkins Historical Society, you may wish to apply to join, it will have all the information and an application you can fill out to become a member. Karen Miller, Great (11th) Granddaughter of Stephen Hopkins)

Karen,

Thank you so much for joining in and providing a good source for Hopkins family researchers. I have found they are very good resources and am hoping to put a list together of all of them for everyone's benefit on our Geni Wiki.

I am in the process of applying to join the Pilgrim John Howland Society, another active group apparently. I also applied to the Mayflower Society. And I know there are other such societies like the one Karen mentions.

I am growing quite find of Governor Bradford, and just re-read this nice little site:

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/bradfordwilliam.htm

His first person account, "Of Plymouth Plantation," is available here:

http://www.mith2.umd.edu/eada/html/display.php?docs=bradford_histor...

I belong to the Mayflower Society, and I must say their journal which comes out 4 times a year is very educational.
I am having a problem with the Thomas Rogers line here in Geni. Samuel Rogers B. 1740, D. 1825 has multiple parents here on Geni. The parents are multigenerational. 2 fathers (James Rogers, and 2 mothers, Godfrey and Tracy) The fathers listed are actually father and grandfather... Can someone fix this? I certainly do not want to merge this mistake.

It's a little cleaner now, but still needs work. When was the first James Rogers born? The tree has two James Rogers as son for him. One born in 1673 and one 1706. I'll guess 1706 is a mistake. Do you know who that is?

There are also issues with Mary Paine's parents and their years of birth. Which is correct?

I know the whole thing is really messed up... I am going to go through and attempt to take some relationships out and replace them with correct info. The first James Rogers was the son of Joseph son of Thomas Rogers, D. 1621, the "first sickness" Joseph, a Lt., came on the Mayflower also. He died early in the winter of 1677-8. He was married to Hannah, This Joseph had James, the first James, B. Oct 18, 1648. This James Married Mary paine on Jan 11, 1670. and D. 4-13-1678. His widow remarried Israel Cole of Esatham. Mary paine was the daughter of Thomas Paine and Mary (Snow) Paine. Mary Snown Paine was the daughter of Nicholas Snow and Constance Hopkins. Constance Hopkins was the daughter of Stephen Hopkins. The children of James and Mary were James, B. Oct 30, 1673 and Mary B. Oct 30 same year also... tewins? I am amazed at this and wonder about that. also had Abigail B. Mar 2, 1678-7.
This James Rogers Married Susanna Tracy. He was first called Samuel, but when baptized in 1680, he took the name of James to have the name of his father who now was dead. This James died Sept 8, 1751. His children were as follow: Mary, Isaac, Susanna, James B.May 2, 1706, Agigail and Thomas.
James B. in 1706 married Hannah Godfrey from Chatham on 5-21, 1730; he died 2-1759. Biorn to him were the following: Lydia, James, Silvanus B.4-14-1736, D. young, Prince, Samuel B. Aug 7, 1740, Silvanus B. 12-22-1742, Susannh, Jonathan.
Samuel married twice. Wife no. 1 was Dleborah Baset of Chatham, M. 11-12-1761, wife 2 was Amy Wing Cooper, widow of William Cooper, daughter of Elnathan and Hannah Allan (Wing) of Harwich Amy died at Orleans 1804. Samuel went to Hampden ME and died there 9-5-1825. He moved around a lot and lived in the following places, Orrington, ME, Orleans, MA, He sold his land in Orrington to Jesse Rogers. He lived also in Eastham, MA; then Harwich, then Nantucket, MA, then Ellington, CT, Castine, ME and then from there to Hamden, ME where he died. Deborah and Samuel had the following childreni in Eastham, Lydia, Deborah, Samuel (no dates), James, Nabby, Amy Wing Cooper and Samuel had Allen who was born in Ellington CT, on 2-21-1786.
Allen was married twice. First wife was Mary Wyman, B. 1-14-1786, D. 5-18-58. Second was Sarah Wood Quimby. He lived with his half sister Cynthia Cooper (Wing) at Livermore, ME as a youth, then he moved at age 21 to Mt Vernon, near Livermore. There he studied Medicine with Dr. Quimby. Then moved to Orrington for short stint, then to Hampden, ME. He died July 18, 1864.

I got into a lot of trouble when I merged some in the Rogers line, I should have left it all alone when I first entered my history here in Geni. This is why my line is such a mess. I was not careful with my merges.

Sally,

I worked in IT a long time, and believe there's no such thing as a bad user ... there's only a program that isn't easy enough to use yet.

It's just data, we'll get it sorted out. You keep the *correct* information visible and available, we'll get it correctly formatted into the profiles, no worries.

Ok... I quit for a while... The thing to remember is the name change at baptism of Samuel to James. There was a james S Rogers with James Samuel Rogers's dates... i merged that... But now the problem is Mary Paine Rogers Cole. Cole was her second husband after Rogers.... but what we have is a Mary Paine Rogers that cannot be merged to her or vise versa so there are 2 wives for James, B. 1648. and there is a father Joseph who is married to a frances... I am pretty sure that doesn't fit right... I am giving up on it... Too many hours trying to fix the thing. it makes me dizzy. :-)

BTW... One of my sources for the Rogers line is geanealogical article from the bangor Daily Chronical, Sat., Sept. 15, 1900. I have also learned that there was, some time ago, not sure if it exists now, is a Rogers line Club somewhere.

There are sooooooo many merge issues now in my tree that I have all but given up. Sometimes when I try to correct them it won't let me, because some people seem to have put a "lock" on their tree so I can't make any corrections. It has become so fruatrating for me, and I am having some heart issues and don't want to deal with it now.

Showing 61-90 of 851 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion