Signers of the Declaration of Independence

Started by Private User on Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 213 posts

Now that "projects" is live, I think I should go ahead and add all the profiles for "Signers," stub or not.

Anita M. Boynton

Would you care to join us as a "collaborator" on the SOI project?

I think those of us related early Americans are mostly cousins in multiple ways. I found the same thing doing Eastern European Jewish genealogy. A few families intermarried over and over.

I know Geni used to show me multiple ways I was related to someone once in awhile but I hope it finally really institutes this feature.

Yep, I'm related to all of you from 11th - 15th cousins.

This is a great! Thanks.. Edward Rutledge is a Great Grandfather and Andrew is an Great Uncle..

Maria...took the plunge...am loving it and it has only been an hour!!!!!

Erica...you know my time constraints. I would love to work on it, but don't want to hold the project back...your choice.

Anita,

How dare you have a life!

You are now a "project collaborator" on

http://www.geni.com/projects/Signers+of+the+%2522Declaration+of+Ind...

Do what you can when you can, it's all good.

I don't have a life...I only have a JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool...thanks. Am playing on my tree right now...loving PRO!!!! Will do what I can this weekend.

I was here for no good reason and thought of John Hancock first, so I was going to look him up on the left. Silly me.

Gimme a good link and I'll get him there!!

I just got John Hancock into the project.

John Hancock, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence"

There are several Hancock profiles managed by other curators on Geni (there are close to 100 profiles named John Hancock, though not all are our guy).. Feel free to merge them in and to take over the curatorship, is so desired.

Anita! i'm glad that you were able to get Pro. :-)

Anita found us and we now have Josiah Bartlett, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence" added as MP to the project.

Curators, can you go forth and discover any duplicates for the profiles in the project? This way I don't have to upload the dup profiles.

Another suggestion from Anita: Can we collect jpg images of each of the signers to add to the MP for the signer? I don't think we want to make it the default photo image though because some of the Signers did many things in addition to sign, such as become president ...

Can a curator work on fixing this? This Benjamin Harris says he was born in 1623 and was the son of the Pres (who was born in 1833). I found it trying to find the Benjamin who Signed.

Thanks...

Colonel Benjamin Harrison, II, Esq.

Oh Erica...I am like a terrier...don't let go once I start on something....
I have 5 or 6 more...do you want them here or in email?

I'm not really sure if I should be updating the wiki or if we're just going to use the Project. I can't edit the project, so I'll look at doing merges for Josiah Bartlett.

Benjamin Harrison should be renamed to Benjamin Harrison, Jr., Signer of the "Declaration of Independence"

Anita - Benjamin Jr. 1645 is no longer the son of Benjamin Harrison, president. THis family needs some attention, but I am due out the door in 10 minutes, so don't want to get started.

I'll be back after dinner.

Anita, Use the discussion. Easier for me to refresh the screen and see what new goodies have been discovered. It's like getting Easter Eggs!

Well..Geni search is down, so nothing new for awhile, sorry.

Erica...where do you want links to source documents put...on the profile (when we have control) or as part of the wiki or project?

If you want to get lost in some history, check this site out. I just wasted an hour!

http://virtualology.com/

War Museum has Signers, History Museum has the Dec...lots and LOTS of information, some sources.

General links to the discussion so we can all enjoy, and then to the Wiki. Do you have an ID for the Wiki? If so, you can add yourself: if not, maybe Kim or Brendon can (eventually I will figure out how to do so).

From the Wiki I can copy and paste, formatting intact, to the "Project" master page.

Specific genealogy links in the profile.

I will

OK I'm deep in the Harrison family now and it links to the Randolph's and therefore Pocahantas! So cool.

Just an update. :)

Anita, this is my favorite source for info on signers.

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=W000114

Looks like the Library of Congress commissioned an engraver to make portraits of the signers. For the less-known signers, those may be the only portraits available.

Maria...found that site. It has a lot of info, but isn't exactly very readable.

I found this site that I like a lot better... http://colonialhall.com/biodoi.php

Idea...do we want to do the Constitution next? I would also like to see, eventually, a project on Notables of Early America, where we could flag people like Paul Revere and Alexander Hamilton who really don't fit in any of the other groups we have done, but certainly have their importance in American history.

This profile is linked to the Signers Project...this is actually the signers father...can someone unlink?

Hon. Benjamin Harrison, IV, of the Landing

thanks.

Uh-oh! I think we created a Geni-monster!

Just kidding, Anita, I love your enthusiasm.

These profiles need an MP, to be renamed, to be added to the project and the wiki:
Lyman Hall, signer of the "Declaration of Independence"
Maj. Gen. William Floyd, signer of the "Declaration of Independence"
William Ellery, signer of the "Declaration of Independence"
Carter Braxton, signer of the "Declaration of Independence"
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence"

John Hancock, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence" should have quotes around the Declaration of Independence, for consistency.

I added the others to the wiki. After these fixes, I'll add them to the wiki and then I'd like someone to check over the list to see if we have everyone in the wiki and in the project. We also need to make sure someone is working on the others.

I haven't been able to get the search option in Geni to work since Friday night. Will try again tomorrow.

The project page has (had this afternoon) two wives...are we adding wives?

Showing 31-60 of 213 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion