Adding MP3 audio-only recordings to profiles, pictures and events.

Started by David Lee Kaleita on Monday, October 11, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 12 posts
10/11/2010 at 11:33 AM

Geni's got video somewhat covered, but I've got a lot of audio-only recordings of my family from the early 1950s through the late 1970s. I have them in WAV, WMA and MP3 formats, and several of them are more than [the video limit of] ten miniutes long.

Geni, when are you going to provide an official way to upload audio-only files of more than ten mintes so we can attach them to profiles and events?

In fact, it would be great to be able to add them to pictures also, as many digital cameras profide a way to automatically record sound clips at the same time a photo is taken.

Private User
10/11/2010 at 3:41 PM

David, that is so cool! I keep telling people to talk to their elders and to tape or video them while doing it. It would be wonderful to attach them to profiles. Thank you for bringing it to the attention of our Geni-Geeks.

10/11/2010 at 8:47 PM

Let me put in a plug for this wonderful non profit organization while we're talking about audio recordings:

http://storycorps.org/

10/12/2010 at 5:07 AM

From NPR, right? Sometimes I hear the stories on my way to work and they make me tear up. Dangerous driving! LOL!

Private User
10/12/2010 at 12:56 PM

David: If you're willing to release the audio under Creative Commons or Public Domain, you can upload your audio to http://www.archive.org for free, and then link to them in the profile.

10/12/2010 at 1:14 PM

That's a great resource Robert, thank you for sharing it.

10/13/2010 at 1:56 PM

My mom has been audio recording family and others since the 1970's, I think this is a great idea.

Private User
10/13/2010 at 2:35 PM

I actually took a class in Junior College called California History: Oral Traditions. It used movies and tape recordings made of the memoirs of pioneers. California in the 70's still had original settlers and/or their children around to tell their tales. Fascinating stuff. Not like you Mayflowereans with your centuries of history.

Private User
12/17/2010 at 9:12 PM

David, it makes sense to upload them to a blog, or website, or "cloud" and then put the link in Geni. That way you can retain control of them, and Geni does not have to further complicate the site.

To be real, some fo the very best of your recordings are going to be far longer than 15 or 20 minutes - and to some family members, these will be very important. You can store them full length on a blog, create composites, and provide links to geni and to other places too. You are on to a good thing.!!

11/8/2015 at 4:26 AM

It's actually quite strange that we have video and photo, but not audio. After all the load on the server from the audio file will be significantly less, and with HTML5 audio is a trivial addition.

If some people are still seeking for places to put up their audio, you can also look at http://radio4all.net/ it is meant to be used for podcasts, but i'm sure that if you make a show "my family speaks" then nobody will mind.

2/21/2023 at 8:53 AM

I also have some audio to upload.

2/21/2023 at 10:17 AM

Great idea

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion