Persons who have not been online for a year (Abandoned Trees)

Started by Eldon Lester Clark on Thursday, December 30, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-150 of 695 posts

Ofir, I assume Ashiya are able to make her own conclusions if you put a report of well known profiles like the queen. When we report lesser known profiles as fake/claimed historical it is however a big help for her if you can link to our main profile or other informations showing that he/she is not real.

There are "fake" royal accounts I still wonder if they really was real and got unclaimed because we just did not believe it, or even asked. One of the accounts had some had some details and minors listed that was impossible to find using for example Google, so it had to be family information in some way.

We should expect that some of those current living famous/royal people want to be Geni users them self, so I hope Geni have some strategy on how to solve such a situation. Should we insist that the profiles should be public as of today?

Private User with regards to your question,"Should we insist that the profiles should be public as of today?"

If a known person claims their public profile it is really they choice as to whether or not they wish to continue being listed publicly or not.

But to inform you all, we have thought about this issue a lot (as there are lots of known people using Geni). We are considering adding a feature to enable users to have 2 layers to their profile and tree. More on that later ("stay tuned" for details).

Thanks Bjorn; next time I would try and include the link to the main profiles if possible

Private User, - I know, I was one of those who asked Geni to some up with a plan if such happen, - I just wanted to pinpoint for others that some of those "fake" accounts could be real, and I still have the feeling that at least one of the accounts I convinced you to unclaim could be real.

Today we had to take actions on the family line of one of the Norwegian "Who Do You Think You Are?" celebrities when someone added an ex-husband and public profiles of her child's, - which already was in the tree as private profiles for her family. She will probable take over her own profile, so this could be a test of this strategy. Contact the curator Anne M for details.

Ashiya, I have the same question as Steven. The way I stumble on abandoned or inactive people is when I am trying to do a merge. It doesn't help me if I am not informed that the profiles have been released.
I too appreciate all the work. Maybe you should get t shirts or robes like the curators do :-)

Eldon Lester Clark we are already working on sending users automatic notifications once we have resolved the issue.

Your patience is appreciated.

Ashiya, thanks for the update. I will be looking (hoping) for an announcement.

This thread has been very helpful, but I have one more question, I guess I would call it an "etiquette" question.

So when I am contacting a manager to collaborate who hasn't been on Geni for over a year, should I first message them, and then wait a few weeks for them to respond, or should I skip to reporting them as inactive?

What is the appropriate etiquette in this situation. I certainly don't want anyone to think that I hostilely took over their account, and in fact I certainly would rather than they came back and continued to manage their portion of it.

I've been on Geni a month, so I'm still learning how things work.

TIA.

Steven, That is what I did. Collaboration, Family Group and message. That was before Geni instituted the report function. After about 20 tries, Geni help suggested that I start a discussion about it so I did. As a newcomer, be sure to join the Collaboration Pool project, that will mahe things much easier for you.

Steven,
As a curator, I would say give the person a little time. If there's no response after a reasonable amount of time, use the report function. Reasonable is sort of based on how long inactive. If it's a couple of month, reasonable is shorter than a year or more.

We have a fellow who took a year away from Geni to care for a sick family member. When he came back, many of his profiles had been taken over by other users. Now he's working to be co-manager on all of them. So, you see, some times a little patience is necessary.

As my friend Eldon says, be sure to join the collaboration pool. It may be that someone else was collaborating with that manager before he/she went AWOL and can complete the merge for you.

Here's a link for the pool.

Good luck!
Maria

How does the Collaboration Pool project work? I assume there is a way to look up to see whom someone is collaborating with?

The small green arrows by a name show collaboration.

Ok, then I don't understand what the Collaboration Pool is?

Collaboration Pool is voluntary collaboration actvity

Members take responsibility to collaborate each other.
Becouse in Geni isn't similar tool - we created own

Entry and leave is easy.
* For entering You post message into Collaboration Pool (or join to project collaboration pool) and send collaboration request to other meembers
* For leaving You remove Your entry post from list (or You excluse Yourself from project) and cancel collaboration with people You don't like collaborate any more

During Your membership You accept collaboration request from other members

All 3 actions are based on voluntarity

Henn

PS! I prefer to move from discussion to project becouse project handles automatically list of members.

Sorry, Henn, I forgot about the project. I agree, it is an easier way to reach a large group of people interested in collaborating and you no longer have to keep our long list up to date.

Stephen, by joining the project, you are saying that you want to work with others to complete merges more easily. Go to http://www.geni.com/projects/Collaboration-Pool and join. There is a good description on the project page. If you need more help, send me a private message and I'll walk you through it.

I sent you a collaboration pool request just now, as well.

I don't think reporting abandoned trees feature is working. I reported a fairly close relative to me (second cousin) who I messaged 2 months ago, and then reported him as inactive a month ago, and I still haven't been given control to merge our nearly 50 duplicates - Private User#

I really just want to complete the merge.

Oh, and he hasn't been on the site in almost 3 years.

Anyone know if this thread is still functioning?

Curators can report trees now. Do you have a name you would like to report?

Well, like I said, I reported it over a month ago using the site's report tool.... Nothng has happened.

Private User

Marvin,

I would like to report this profile as a possible abandoned profile : Kalli Sage Jacobo

I have contacted them about one of my husbands ancestors and merge issue and have gotten no reply from them.

you know how I hate merge issues. can you help fix it for me.

Marvin,

here is the profile of my husbands ancestor that has the merge issue i can't fix since Kalli Sage Jacobo has not fixed it nor contacted me about.

Ann Marvel

@stephenRice

I confirmed that The profile has been reported.
There's nothing else I can do.

Tara Denise Brooks@tara

I completed the merge for you.

Marvin - thanks.

I hope it works. This is the first attempt I've made to assume control of an abandoned tree, and I figured I'd start with a close relative with dozens of duplicate profiles. If it works I will make a list of about 40 abandoned trees that I want to merge with, and hopefully that process will be less painful than this one.

Private User

Maybe use the Project tool so collaborators can work together on an abandoned tree to get them merged up and documented?

What purpose would that serve? I can't do anything with this abandoned tree of my fairly close relative (second cousin) and I just want to merge with his tree, as there are at least 50 overlapping duplicates.

I don't know of any other users who have anyone in common with my relative Scott Crawford.

I simply want to be added as a manager on his profiles so I can complete these merges. He hasn't been online in nearly 3 years.

Does anyone know what to do in this case?

Stephen
When all else fails, submit a help ticket. Be very specific in describing the problem. Be sure to request notice when they have fixed whatever is broken -- in this case an abandoned tree that cannot be merged. And, finally, have some patience. There is only a handful of them and so many of us.

I am trying to report the following abandoned tree:
Jillian Manley
Private User
But the Submit button isn't working for me. Is anyone else having this trouble?

Hi David

I have "report" (under "options" menu, moved to upper right hand corner now, next to "Follow") and selected "abandoned trees" for you.

Showing 121-150 of 695 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion