About Anne Stafford, Countess of Huntington
Sometime before the coronation of Elizabeth in May 1465, Catherine was married with Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham; both were still children. A contemporary description of Elizabeth Woodville's coronation relates that Catherine and her husband were carried on squires' shoulders. According to Dominic Mancini, Buckingham resented his marriage to a woman of inferior birth. The couple, had four children:
- Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham (3 February 1478 – 17 May 1521)
- Elizabeth Stafford, Countess of Sussex (ca. 1479 – 11 May 1532)
- Henry Stafford, 3rd Earl of Wiltshire (c. 1479 – 6 April 1523)
- Anne Stafford, Countess of Huntingdon (c. 1483–1544)
- Anne Stafford1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
- F, #27358, d. after 24 March 1544
- Father Sir Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke Buckingham, 7th Earl of Stafford, 8th Lord Stafford2,3,4,5,9,8 b. 4 Sep 1455, d. 2 Nov 1483
- Mother Katherine Wydeville2,3,4,9 b. c 1458, d. 18 May 1497
- Anne Stafford married Sir Walter Herbert, son of Sir William Herbert, 1st Earl Pembroke, 1st Lord Herbert, Sheriff of Glamorgan & Morgannock, Chief Justice of North & South Wales and Anne Devereux, circa 1490.2,4,6,7 Anne Stafford married Sir George Hastings, 1st Earl Huntingdon, 3rd Lord Hastings, High Steward of the Honor of Leicester, of Launde Convent, & of Burton-on-Trent Abbey, son of Sir Edward Hastings, 2nd Lord Hastings, Constable of Leicester Castle, High Forester of Southwood and Mary Hungerford, circa December 1509; They had 5 sons (Sir Francis, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon; Sir Thomas; Sir Edward, Lord Hastings of Loughborough, Master of the Horse; Henry; & William) and 3 daughters (Dorothy, wife of Sir Richard Devereux; Mary, wife of Sir Thomas, 6th Lord Berkeley; & Katherine).2,3,4,5,6,7,8 Anne Stafford died after 24 March 1544; Buried at Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire.2,4,7
- Family 1 Sir Walter Herbert b. c 1458, d. 16 Sep 1507
- Family 2 Sir George Hastings, 1st Earl Huntingdon, 3rd Lord Hastings, High Steward of the Honor of Leicester, of Launde Convent, & of Burton-on-Trent Abbey b. c 1486, d. 24 Mar 1544
- Dorothy Hastings+10 b. c 1511
- Sir Francis Hastings, 2nd Earl Huntingdon, 4th Lord Hastings, Lt. Gen. & Chief Captain of the army and fleet for service abroad, Constable of Conway Castle, Lord Lt. of counties Rutland, Leicester, Derby, & Warwick+2,4,7 b. c 1514, d. 23 Jun 1560
- Sir Thomas Hastings, Sheriff of Warwickshire & Leicestershire, Justice of the Peace for Leicestershire11,4,5,7,8 b. c 1515
- Mary Hastings12,2 b. c 1518, d. Mar 1533
- Sir Edward Hastings, Baron Hastings of Loughborough13 b. c 1520, d. 5 Mar 1572
- 1.[S8469] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 655; The Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles, by Gerald Paget, Vol. 2, p. 179; Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 135; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 1357.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 387.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 675.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 374.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 378.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 85.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 370-371.
- 8.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 400.
- 9.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 82-83.
- 10.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. V, p. 140.
- 11.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
- 12.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. II, p. 137.
- 13.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 384-5.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p911.htm#i27358
- Lady Anne Stafford1
- F, #107554, b. 1483, d. 1544
- Last Edited=27 Mar 2009
- Consanguinity Index=0.02%
- Lady Anne Stafford was born in 1483 at Brecknock Castle, Brecknock, Breconshire, Wales.3 She was the daughter of Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Katherine Woodville.1 She married, firstly, Sir Walter Herbert in 1503.1,3 She married, secondly, George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon, son of Sir Edward Hastings, 2nd Lord Hastings and Mary Hungerford, 5th Baroness Botreaux, circa December 1509.4 She died in 1544.
- From 1503, her married name became Herbert.1,3 From circa December 1509, her married name became Hastings.4 As a result of her marriage, Lady Anne Stafford was styled as Countess of Huntingdon on 8 December 1529.
- Children of Lady Anne Stafford and George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon
- 1.Francis Hastings, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon+5 d. 23 Jun 1560
- 2.Lady Mary Hastings6 d. Mar 1532/33
- 3.Henry Hastings5
- 4.Sir Thomas Hastings7 b. 1515, d. 1558
- 5.William Hastings5 b. 1518, d. 1556
- 6.Lady Dorothea Hastings+5 b. 1519
- 7.Edward Hastings, 1st and last Baron Hastings of Loughborough+5 b. c 1520, d. 5 Mar 1571/72
- 1.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 130. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- 2.[S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- 3.[S3470] Marian Hastings, "re: Hastings Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 31 Deember 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Hastings Family."
- 4.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume VI, page 655. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 5.[S37] Volume 2, page 2005. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 6.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 137.
- 7.[S8] Volume 1, page 16. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S8]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10756.htm#i107554
- Anne STAFFORD (C. Huntingdon)
- Born: ABT 1483, Ashby, Leicestershire, England
- Died: 1544
- Buried: Stoke Pogis, Buckinghamshire, England
- Notes: See her Biography. http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Bios/AnneStafford(CHuntingdon).htm
- Father: Henry STAFFORD (2° D. Buckingham)
- Mother: Catherine WOODVILLE (D. Buckingham/D. Bedford)
- Married 1: Walter HERBERT (Sir Knight) AFT 1489
- Married 2: George HASTINGS (1° E. Huntingdon) Dec 1503
- 1. Francis HASTINGS (2º E. Huntingdon)
- 2. William HASTINGS (ABT 1510, Huntingdon, Brewick, Scotland)
- 3. Catherine HASTINGS
- 4. Thomas HASTINGS (Sir)
- 5. Edward HASTINGS (1° B. Hastings of Loughborough)
- 6. Henry HASTINGS (b. ABT 1508, Huntingdon, Berwick, Scotland)
- 7. Mary HASTINGS (B. Berkeley)
- 8. Dorothy HASTINGS
- Associated with: William COMPTON (Sir Knight)
- Associated with: HENRY VIII TUDOR (King of England)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STAFFORD1.htm#Anne STAFFORD (C. Huntingdon)
- HASTINGS, Sir Thomas (c.1515-58), of Stoke Poges, Bucks.
- b. c.1515;, 2nd s. of George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon, by Anne, da. of Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham; bro. of Edward. m. Winifred, da. of Henry Pole, Lord Montagu, s.p. Kntd. 2 Oct. 1553.1
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/hastings-sir-thomas-1515-58
- HASTINGS, Edward (by 1519-72), of Loughborough, Leics. and Stoke Poges, Bucks.
- b. by 1519, 3rd s. of George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon, by Anne, da. of Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham; bro. of Sir Thomas. m. Joan, da. of John Harington of Bagworth, Leics., wid. of George Villers, s.p.; 1s. illegit. Kntd. 15 Sept. 1547, KG nom. 23 Apr., inst. 25 May 1555; cr. Baron Hastings of Loughborough 19 Jan. 1558.1
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/hastings-edward-1519-72
Anne Stafford, Countess of Huntington's Timeline
Ashby, Leicestershire, England
Berwick, Scotland, United Kingdom
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Berwick, Scotland, United Kingdom
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England
Huntingdon, Berw. Scotland