Matching family tree profiles for Aseneth Cecila Dustin
About Aseneth Cecila Dustin
Aseneth Hurlbut Dustin (c 1799 - c 1875) - Aseneth Hurlburt, daughter of Jesse Hurlbut (1769 - 1849) and Mary "Polly" Taft (1773 - 1848), was born about 1799 at Genesee County, New York. She died about 1875 in San Bernadino, San Bernadino County, California. She married Bechias Dustin (1793 - 1874), son of Ebenezer Dustin (1761 - 1805) and his second wife, Susannah Stevens (1763 - 1798), in 1816 at Genesee County, New York.
Children of Bechias and Aseneth Dustin
- David Dustin (born 15 February 1817 Rochester, Monroe County, New York)
- Fornatus Dustin (born 17 February 1820 Genesee County, New York)
- Bechias Dustin (born 21 October 1823 Genesee County, New York)
- Seth Dustin (born 21 October 1825 Hartland, Genessee County, New York)
- Joseph Dustin (born 15 December 1827 Hartland-Leroy, Genesee County, New York)
- Asenath Cecelia Dustin (born 25 February 1829 Leroy, Gennessee County, New York)
- Roxana Mahala Dustin (born 3 July 1833 LeRoy, Genesee County, New York)
- Franklin Dustin (born 1835)
- Christopher Dustin (born 1837 Buffalo, New York)
- Andrew Dustin
- Caleb Dustin
- Hannah Dustin
- Lydia Dustin
Aseneth Dustin was enumerated in Pottawattmie County, Iowa, in the 1851 census. She was listed as Asenath, 51 years old, on the same census page with her daughter, Roxana Dustin Welker, 18, and her husband, John Welker, 26, and his mother, Elizabeth Stoker Welker, 57, and another two of her sons, Jacob Welker, 22, and Adam Welker, 10, and her daughters, Mary Catherine Welker, 19, and Rebecca, 16. On the opposite side of the same census page was Aseneth's son, Joseph Dustin, 25, and his wife, Sarah Jane, 21, and their children, Joseph Hyrum, 4, Lovina J., and Asenath C., 1 year old. John Welker and his family traveled to Utah in the Isaac Stewart Mormon Pioneer Company of 1852, and Asenath may have traveled with them at the time. We know that she crossed the plains sometime before the Utah Territorial census of February 1856, at which time she was living in the 19th Ward of Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah Territory.
However, she and Bechias must have separated sometime before that, because he was listed in the 1850 U.S. Federal Census of Utah Territory as follows: Bacchius Dustin, 56, with second or plural wife Emily, 47, and her children, LaFayette Merrill, 15, Mary Merrill, 11, and Orrin P. Dustin, 8 years old, who were her children with her first husband, Orrin Merrill, who died in 1844. According to Find A Grave.com, Emily Phelps Merrill married Orrin Merrill in 1825 in Genesee, New York, and married Bechias Dustin January 17, 1852. But according to the 1850 census, Bechias and Emily were definitely living together that year with the three children listed above.
Aseneth Dustin was living in the 19th Ward of the Great Salt Lake City in Salt Lake county, during the 1856 Utah Statehood Census Index, page 507. But by the 1860 census, Aseneth, 62, was living in Hillsboro, Washington County, Oregon, with her daughter, Asenath Allen, 29, and her husband, Isaac Allen, 30, and children Anna, 10, Isaac, 8, Sara, 5, James, 4, George, 3, and Emma, 8 months old. Also living with them was Christopher Duston, 19, Aseneth's son and Asenath's brother. The mother, Aseneth, was listed as S. Dustin in the 1860 census record.
A record for her son, David Dustin in the Seventy Quorum Membership, 1835-1846, lists his mother as Aseneth (Susannah) Herbert, but we know her maiden name was Hurlbut, however, perhaps Susannah was actually her middle name. She is also listed under the Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-1848, as Aseneth Hurlbert, wife of Bechias Dustin, and the mother of David, Fortunatus, Bechias, Seth, Joseph, Asaneth Cecilia, Roxana Mahala, Franklin and Christopher Dustin. Bechias' plural wife, Emply Merrill Phelps is also listed on that record.
At some point Aseneth must have moved from Oregon to Southern California, and she was living in San Bernardino when she passed away in 1875. She may have been living there with one of her children at the time of her death.
There seems to be some confusion regarding Asenath Hurlbut Dustin's vital statistics:
- Some sources show that she was born in 1796; others show 7 January 1797, however, the 1851 Iowa census showed that she was 51 years old, which means she may have been born in 1799 instead.
- Alternate death date is March 1873 instead of 1875
- Her name is spelled Acenath in some records
- Often confused with her daughter, Asenath Cecelia Allen, who was born in 1829 and had three husbands: (1) Samuel Swann; (2) Isaac Tidwell Allen; and (3) Matthew Thomas.
- Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868 1847-1868 (Unknown Year of Travel) Before 1856
- Death Certificate: Azeneth (no middle name) Dusten passed away on May 26, 1875, in San Bernardino, California. Her cause of death was listed as old age and her birth date was January 7, 1797. This document has the San Bernardino County, California Recorders seal and was dated September 9, 1987. Errol J. Macklum signed the document which states, "I hereby certify that this is a true copy of the record if the seal of this office is impressed in purple ink, and he signed as the Auditor-Recorder for San Bernardino County, California." This document does not provide the names of her parents, spouse or her birthplace.
- Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-1848. Name: Aseneth Hurlbut; Gender: Female; Relationship to Primary Person: Self (Head); Father: Jesse Hurlbut; Mother: Polly Taft; Birth Date: 1799; Birth Place: Genesse, New York, USA; Death Date: 1873; Household Members: Aseneth Hurlbut Self (Head); Bechias Dustin, Spouse. Source Information: Ancestry.com. Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-1848 [database on-line]. Provo, Utah, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Black, Susan Easton, compiler. Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830–1848. 50 vols. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Religious Studies Center, 1989. Private Donor.
- Family Data Collection - Births. Name: Aseneth Hurlbut; Father: Jesse Hurlbut; Mother: Polley Taft; Birth Date: 1796; City: Genesee; State: New York; Country: USA. Source Information: Edmund West, comp., Family Data Collection - Births [database on-line]. Provo, Utah, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001.
Aseneth Cecila Dustin's Timeline
January 7, 1797
Le Roy, Genesee, New York, USA
February 15, 1817
Rochester, Monroe, New York, USA
February 17, 1820
Genesee, New York, USA
October 21, 1823
Genesee, New York
October 21, 1825
Hartland, Genessee, New York, USA
December 15, 1827
Hartland-Leroy, Genesee, New York, USA
February 25, 1829
Leroy, Genesee, New York, USA
July 3, 1833
LeRoy, Genesee , New York, USA
Genesee, New York, USA