Bernabò Visconti, Lord of Milan
|Also Known As:||"Barnabò Di Visconti"|
|Birthplace:||Milan, Milan, Lombardy, Italy|
|Death:||Died in Trezzo, Milan, Lombardy, Italy|
|Place of Burial:||Milan|
Son of Stefano Visconti and Valentina Doria
|Occupation:||Vicaire Gâenâeral de l'Empereur Germanique Charles IV, Duke of Milan, Duke of Milano, Lord of Milan, Ruler of Milan|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Bernabò Visconti, signore di Milano
About Bernabò Visconti, signore di Milano
Bernabò Visconti, signore di Milano
Bernabò Visconti (also called Barnabò) (1323 – 18 December 1385) was an Italian soldier and statesman, who was Lord of Milan.
He was born in Milan, the son of Stefano Visconti and Valentina Doria. From 1346 to 1349 he lived in exile, until he was called back by his uncle Giovanni Visconti. On 27 September 1350 Bernabò married Beatrice Regina della Scala, daughter of Mastino II, Lord of Verona and Taddea da Carrara, and forged both a political and cultural alliance between the two cities.
Bernabò was an ally of Stephen II, Duke of Bavaria: three of his daughters were married with Stephen's descendants. He had 17 legitimate children with his wife:
- 1) Taddea Visconti, Duchess of Bavaria (1351–28 September 1381), married on 13 October 1364 Stephen III, Duke of Bavaria, by whom she had three children including Isabeau of Bavaria, Queen consort of King Charles VI of France
- 2) Viridis Visconti (1352–1414), married Leopold III, Duke of Inner Austria, by whom she had six children.
- 3) Marco Visconti (November 1353–1382), married Elisabeth of Bavaria
- 4) Rodolfo Visconti, Lord of Parma (1358–1388)
- 5) Ludovico Visconti (1358–7 March 1404), married Violante Visconti, widow of Lionel of Antwerp. They had a son, *Giovanni, who left descendants.
- 6) Carlo Visconti (September 1359–August 1403), married Beatrice of Armagnac, daughter of John II, Count of Armagnac and Jeanne de Périgord, by whom he had four children.
- 7)Valentina Visconti (1360–1393), married firstly in 1378, King Peter II of Cyprus, by whom she had one daughter who died in early infancy; she married secondly, Galeazzo, Count of Virtù
- 8) Caterina Visconti, Duchess of Milan (1361–17 October 1404), married on 2 October 1380 as his second wife, Gian Galeazzo Visconti 1st Duke of Milan, by whom she had two sons, Gian Maria Visconti, 2nd Duke of Milan; and Filippo Maria Visconti, 3rd Duke of Milan, who fathered Bianca Maria Visconti by his mistress Agnese del Maino.
- 9) Agnese Visconti (1362–1391), married in 1380 Francesco I Gonzaga, by whom she had one daughter. Agnes was executed for alleged adultery.
- 10) Antonia Visconti (died 26 March 1405), married Eberhard III, Count of Wurttemberg, by whom she had three sons.
- 11) Mastino Visconti (died 1404), married Antonia della Scala (died 1400), daughter of Cangrande II.
- 12) Maddalena Visconti (1366 – 17 July 1404), married Frederick, Duke of Bavaria, by whom she had five children including Henry XVI of Bavaria
- 13) Aymonette Visconti, married Louis I de Berton des Balbes
- 14) Anglesia Visconti (died 12 October 1439), in January 1400 married King Janus of Cyprus, but the marriage was childless and was dissolved 1407/1409; he married in 1411 as his second wife, Charlotte de Bourbon-La Marche by whom he had six children.
- 15) Giammastino Visconti (1370 – 19 June 1405), married Cleofa della Scala (died 1403), by whom he had three children. She was the daughter of Cangrande II.
- 16) Lucia Visconti (1372 – 14 April 1424), married Edmund Holland, 4th Earl of Kent, the marriage was childless.
- 17Elisabetta Visconti (1374 – 2 February 1432), married on 26 January 1395 Ernest, Duke of Bavaria, by whom she had five children including Albert III, Duke of Bavaria.
His illegitimate offspring by Donnina del Porri, legitimated in a ceremony after the death of his wife in 1384, were as follows:
- 1) Palamede (d. 1402).
- 2) Lancelloto.
- 3) Sovrana, married Giovanni da Prato.
- 4) Ginevra, married Leonardo Malaspina (d. 1441).
- 5) Enrica, married Franchino Rusca.
In addition, Bernabò had other illegitimate offspring by other mistresses: —With Beltramola Grassi:
- 1) Ambrogio (1343 – killed in battle Caprino Bergamasco, 17 August 1373), condottiero and Governor of Pavia.
- 2) Isotta (d. 1388), married in 1378 to Count Lutz von Landau, condottiero under the name of Lucio Land (d. 1398).
- 3) Ettore (d. 1413), who briefly took the Lordship of Milan (16 May – 12 June 1412), married Margherita Infrascati.
- 4) Riccarda, married Bernard, Seigneur de La Salle (d. 1391).
—With Montanina de Lazzari:
- 1) Sagramoro (d. 1385), Lord of Brignano, married Achiletta Marliani.
- 2) Donnina (1360–1406), married in 1377 to Sir John Hawkwood.
—With Giovanolla Montebretto:
- 1) Bernarda (d. 1376), married Giovanni Suardi.
- 2) Valentia, married Antonio Gentile Visconti, Lord of Belgioioso.
Matteo I, Signore di Milano (1295-1308)+(1317-22), *Invorio 15.7.1250, +Crescenzago 24.6.1322; m.1269 Bonacosa, dau.of Squarcino Borri (+Milano 15.1.1321); they had issue:
- A5. Stefano, +Milano 4.7.1337, Signore di Arona 1325; m.1318 Valentina Doria, dau.of Barnabo Signore di Sasello e Logudoro e Patrizio di Genova by Eliana Fieschi (*1290 +Milano 1359)
- B3. Bernabo I, Signoredi Bergamo, Brescia, Cremona, Soncino, Lunato e Valcamonica 1354, Signore di Lodi, Bologna, Pontremoli e Parma 1355, co-Signore di Milano (1349-85) with his brothers, *Milano 1323, +poisoned Trezzo 18.12.1385; m.Verona 27.9.1350 Beatrice della Scala (*ca 1331, +18.6.1384)
- C1. Marco, Signore di Parma (1364-82), *1355, +Milano 3.1.1382, bur there; m.1367 Isabela of Bavaria-Landshut (*1361 +17.1.1382)
- C2. Ludovico, Governatore di Lodi (1379-85), Governatore e Signore di Parma (1385-1404), +7.3.1404; m.18.4.1381 Violante Visconti (*1354 +XI.1386)
- C3. Rodolfo, +1389, Signore di Parma (1364-89)
- C4. Carlo, *XI.1359 +VIII.1403, Signore di Parma 1364; m.1382 Beatrice d'Armagnac, dau.of Jean II Conte d'Armagnac by Jeanne de Périgord
- C5. Gianmastino, Signore di Bergamo e Ghiaradadda, *1370, +1405; m.1385 Cleofe della Scala, dau.of Antonio I Signore di Verona by Samaritana da Polenta dei Signori di Ravenna (+1403)
- C6. Taddea, *Milano ca 1351, +28.9.1381, bur Munich; m.13.10.1364 Duke Stefan III of Bavaria-Ingolstadt (*ca 1337, +25.9.1413)
- C7. Verde/Viridis, *Milano ca 1352, +Sittich, Carniola before 11.3.1414, bur there; m.Milano 23.2.1365 Leopold III von Steyer (*1.11.1351 +9.7.1386)
- C8. Agnese, *ca 1362, +beheaded 1391; m.1380 Francesco I Gonzaga Signore di Mantova (*1366 +8.3.1407)
- C9. Valentina, *Milano 1360/62, +in Italy before IX.1393; 1m: (by proxy) Milano 2.4.1376 (in person) Santa Sophia, Nicosia VII/VIII.1378 Peter II Lusignan, King of Cyprus (*1354/57 +13.10.1382); 2m: after 1383 Galeazzo, Comte di Virtú
- C10. Caterina, Regent of her son (1402-04), *Milano 1360, +Monza 17.10.1404; m.2.10.1380 Gian Galeazzo I Visconti, Duca di Milano (*XI.1351 +3.9.1402)
- C11. Antonia, *Milano 1360, +Stuttgart 26.3.1405; m.Urach 27.10.1380 Eberhard III von Württemberg (*1364 +16.5.1417)
- C12. Maddalena, *Milano ca 1366, +Burghausen 17.7.1404, bur Raitenhaslach; m.Landshut 2.9.1381 Friedrich II von Bayern-Landshut (*ca 1339 +4.12.1393)
- C13. Lucia, *ca 1372, +in England 14.4.1424; m.Soutwark 24.1.1407 Edmund Holand, 4th Earl of Kent (*6.1.1383 +15.9.1407)
- C14. Elisabetta, *Milano ca 1374, +Munich 2.2.1432; m.Pfaffenhofen 26.1.1395 Ernst I von Bayern-Munchen (*1373 +Munchen 2.7.1438)
- C15. Anglesia, +Reggio 12.10.1439; m.after I.1400 (div 1407/09) Jean II Lusignan, King of Cyprus (*ca 1374 +29.6.1432)
- C16. [natural by Beltramola Grassi] Ambrogio, *1343 +Caprino Bergamasco 17.8.1373, condottiero, governatore di Pavia
- C17. [natural by Beltameda Cassa] Isotta, +1388; m.1378 Lutz Gf von Landau (= Lucio Land), condottiero di Bernabo Visconti (+30.9.1398)
- C18. [natural by Beltramola Grassi] Estorre, +Monza 1413, Signore di Milano (16.5.-12.6.1412) deposed; m.Margherita Infrascati; he had illegitimate issue extincted 1789
- C19. [natural] Riccarda; m.Bernardo della Scala dei Signori di Verona
- C20. [natural by Montanina de Lazzari] Sagramoro, +1385, Signore di Brignano; m.Achilletta Marliani; he is ancestor of families: Conti di Sezze (extincted 1716), Marchesi di San Giorgio (extincted 1724), consignori di Brignano (extincted 1764), Conti di Saliceto (extincted 1924), Marchesi di Borgoratto (extincted 1787)
- C21. [natural by Montanina de Lazzari] Donnina, *1360, +1406; m.1377 John Hawkwood (= Giovanni Acuto) condottiero di Bernabo Visconti (+1394)
- C22. [natural by Giovanolla Montebretto] Bernarda, +1376; m.Giovanni Suardi
- C23. [illegitimate] Valentia; m.Antonio Gentile Visconti Signore di Belgioioso
- C24. [natural by Donnina Porro] Palamede, +after 1402
- C25. [natural by Donnina Porro] Lancellotto; m.NN
- C26. [natural by Donnina Porro] Ginevra; m.Marchese Leonardo Malaspina (+1441)
- C27. [natural by Donnina Porro] Sovrana
- C28. [illegitimate] Enrica; m.Franchino Rusca dei Signori di Como
Bernabò Visconti, signore di Milano's Timeline
Milan, Milan, Lombardy, Italy
Milan, Milan, Lombardy, Italy
Milan, Milano, Lombardia, Italy
Milan, Milan, Lombardy, Italy
Milan, Milan, Lombardy, Italy
Milan - son of Bernabo