About David Witt, Sr.
David Witt was a witness to the will of John Witt d.1782 of Amherst Co., VA - and so it has been assumed that John is the father of David. Rather weak, but there you are
To assist those whose had an enslaved ancestor I list the following from David Witt Sr. will
- London - negro man - to Dennett Witt
- Bett - negro girl - to Dennett Witt
- Joe - negro man - to Ann Sparks Fitzpatrick
- Jenny - negro girl - to David Witt
- Dillard - negro man - to William Witt
- Gillah - negro woman - to Celia Oglesby
- Nully - negro child - to Nancy and Sarah Oglesby
- Elser - negro girl - to Linny Wade
- Hannah - negro woman - to Burgess Witt for Dice Hamlet
- Delphia - negro girl - to Burgess Witt for Sally, David and Archer Hamlet
cc of Will of David Witt Died 28 Aug 1818 in Nelson County, VA
1818 Will of David Witt of Nelson County, Virginia probated September 28, 1818.
In the name of God, Amen. I David Witt of Nelson County, state of VA, being weak in body bu t sound of mind and perfect memory, blessedbe almighty God for the same, do make and publis h this my last will and testament in the manner and form following that this is to say, First , I give and devise
to my beloved wife, Sally Witt during her natural life all of my estate",
both real and personal and such parts thereafter devised after her death to be delivered t o such legatees as she at her own discretion may think proper both as to time and quanity.
- I tem, after the death of my wife, Sally Witt, I give and devise to my oldest son, Dennett Witt , a Negro man named London and a Negro girl named Bett and her increase to him and his heir s forever.
- Item, After the death of my wife, Sally Witt, I give and devise to my first daughter Ann Sparks Fitzpatrick, a negro man Joe.
- Item after the death of my wife Sally Witt, I g ive and devise to my son Burgess Witt part of my tract of land adjoining the estate of Cloug h Shelton, Dec'd., William Wood and Littlebury Witt, Dec'd., giving the lower part and adjoin ing Clugh Shelton dec'd to my son Burgess Witt and to be divided and directed by a designate d line to said tract from a corner white oak on Turkey Mountain thence a direct line to a che stnut on William Wood's line, too him and his heirs forever.
- Item, after the death of my wif e, Sally Witt, I give and devise to my son David Witt the remainder of my tract of land lef t my son Burgess Witt and part of the tract I now live on, to the main road leading from th e estate of Joseph Roberts, Dec'd., to the estate of John Fitzpatrick, Dec'd., teh orchard o n teh east side of the road except lately chopped at a persimmon tree excluding the treadin g yard, thence to a cherry tree and so on to a forked apple tree on the road. I also give t o my son David Witt, a negro girl named Jenny with herincrease to him and his heirs forever .
- I tem, after the death of my wife, I give and devise to my son William Witt all the land I now possess south of the main road leading from the estate of Joseph Roberts, Dec'd., to th e estate of John Fitzpatrick, Dec'd., also the lot and parcel of land being on the east sid e of the said land which is excepted on foregoing. Item, I also give to my son William Witt , a negro man named Dillard to him and his heirs forever.
- Item, after the death of my wife S ally Witt, I give to my daughter Celia Oglesby, one Negro man named Gilah. I also give to m y granddaughters Nancy and Sarah Oglesby, daughters of my said daughter Celia Oglesby, a Negr o child named Nully to be divided between them in such manner as they may think proper when t hey become of age or marry, which I bequest I give to them and thier heirs forever.
- Item aft er the death of my wife, Sally Witt, I give and devise to my daughter Linny Wade, one negro g irl named Elser and her increase to her and her heirs forever.
- Item, after the death of my w ife,Sally Witt, I give and devise to my daughter Dice Hamlet, five pounds of Virginia currenc y to be paid out of my estate. Item, after the death of my wife, Sally Witt, I give and devi se to my son Burgess Witt for the proper aide and benefit of my daughter Dice Hamlet, a Negr o woman named Hannah to be disposed of and ordered as the said Burgess Witt, trustee in trus t shall think most to benefit the said Dice Hamlet and I give and devise to the same truste e for the proper and benefit of my grandchildren, Sally, David, and Achilles (Archer) Hamle , children of my Daughter Dice Hamlet, one negro girl named Delphia with increase to be divid ed among them when they become of age or marry in such a manner as they shall think proper, w hich bequest to them and their heirs forever.
- Item, after the death of my wife and all my ju st debts being paid, I will and devise that the remainder of my estate, that is to say, all m y personal estate such as, horses, cattle and stock of all kinds, wagons, still and the utens ils belonging there to be sold and the profit of the same be divided amng my children whose n ames have been heretofore mentioned and who have no part of my land willed to them namely Den nett Witt, Ann Sparks Fitzpatrick. Celia Oglesby, linny Wade and to Burgess Witt in trust fo r the proper use and benefit of my daughter Dice Hamlet (Dice is short for Candice, a Frenc h name), and lastly
I appoint my loving wife Sally Witt, Executor of my Last Will and Testame nt and my sons Dennett Witt, Burgess Witt and David Witt, Executors of my Last wil and Testam ent and I do hereby revoke all and any other Will by me heretofore in any form and acknowledg eing this and the same to be my Last Will and Testament. In witness whereof I have hereunt o set my hand and affixed my seal this the eithteenth day of January and in the year of our L ord, one thousand eight hundred and sixteen. Signed and Sealed in the presence of Moses Fitz patrick, Josiah Bridgewater and Woodson P. Clark, David Witt.(Seal)
David Witt, Sr.的年谱
Pittsylvania, VA, USA
Nelson County, Virginia, United States
Amherst, VA, USA
Amherst, Virginia, USA