Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean

Is your surname Dean?

Research the Dean family

Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean

Also Known As: "Known as Millvina"
Birthplace: Branscombe, Devon, England (United Kingdom)
Death: May 31, 2009 (97)
Ashurst, Hampshire
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Bertram Frank Dean and Eva Georgette Dean
Sister of Bertram Vere Dean

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean

Millvina Dean

Elizabeth Gladys Millvina Dean (2 February 1912 – 31 May 2009) was the last remaining survivor of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, which occurred on 15 April 1912. At 2 months and 13 days of age, she was also the youngest passenger on board the ship.


  • Name: Miss Elizabeth Gladys 'Millvina' Dean
  • Born: Friday 2nd February 1912
  • Age: 2 months
  • Last Residence: in Bartley Farm Hampshire England
  • 3rd Class passenger
  • First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
  • Ticket No. 2315 , £20 11s 6d
  • Destination: Wichita Kansas United States
  • Rescued (boat 10)
  • Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
  • Died: Sunday 31st May 2009
  • Cause of Death: N/A
  • Reference: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-lifeboat-10/ R.M.S. Titanic's lifeboat 10
  • Reference: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-deckplans/ deck plans of R.M.S. Titanic

Miss Elizabeth Gladys Dean, better known as Millvina, was born on 2 February 1912. She was the daughter of Bertram Frank Dean and Georgette Eva Light Dean. In April, 1912 she was only nine-weeks-old and was, with her parents and elder-brother Bertram, about to emigrate to Wichita, Kansas where her father hoped to open a tobacconist shop.

Millvina boarded the Titanic at Southampton with her parents and brother.

Millvina, her mother and brother were all rescued. They returned to England aboard the Adriatic. It was on the Adriatic that Millvina became quite a spectacle: that such a tiny baby could have came through the ordeal alive. First and Second Class passengers on the Adriatic queued to hold her, and many took photographs of her, her mother and brother, several of which were published in contemporary newspapers.

"[She] was the pet of the liner during the voyage, and so keen was the rivalry between women to nurse this lovable mite of humanity that one of the officers decreed that first and second class passengers might hold her in turn for no more than ten minutes"

(Daily Mirror, 12 May 1912)

Millvina and her brother were raised and educated on various pension funds. Millvina attended Greggs School, Southampton. In her younger years Millvina did not know that she was on the Titanic, and only found out when she was eight and her mother was planning to remarry.

Millvina never married, working for the government during World War II by drawing maps, and later serving in the purchasing department of a Southampton engineering firm. It wasn’t until Millvina was in her seventies that Millvina became a Titanic celebrity: she has since been in great demand to appear at conventions, exhibitions, in documentaries, radio and TV programs, etc. In 1997 she was invited to travel aboard the QE2 to America to complete her family’s voyage to Wichita, Kansas.

In April, 1996 she visited Belfast for the first time, as guest of honour for a Titanic Historical Society convention. Millvina was the last living-survivor. She lived in retirement in Southampton, England and was kept very busy attending conventions; appearing in documentaries, TV series and radio shows; signing huge amounts of autographs; and relating her tales to school groups.

She died 31st May 2009 after a short illness.

Travelling Companions (on same ticket)

  • Mr Bertram Frank Dean
  • Mrs Eva Georgetta Dean
  • Master Bertram Vere Dean

References and Sources

  • Daily Mirror, 12 May 1912 Donald Hyslop, Alastair Forsyth and Sheila Jemima (1997) Titanic Voices: Memories from the Fateful Voyage, Sutton Publishing, Southampton City Council. ISBN 0 7509 1436


  • Cameron Bell, Northern Ireland Phillip Gowan, USA Brian Ticehurst, UK

Folk Figure. She was the last living passenger of the RMS Titanic, which sank April 15, 1912, following a collision with an iceberg on the ship's maiden Atlantic voyage. Dean was two months old at the time and the youngest of 705 people to survive the disaster. Traveling third class, she boarded the ship with her father Bertram, mother Eva and brother Bertram on April 10th 1912 in Southampton, England. The family had made plans to settle in America where her father hoped to pursue his dreams of opening a tobacco business in Wichita, Kansas. She was rescued from Lifeboat No. 12 with her mother and brother, arriving in New York City on April 18th; her father perished in the sinking along with 1,500 passengers and crew in one of the most famous maritime disasters of the modern era. She returned to England shortly after the tragedy where she received her formal education. She worked for the British Government during the Second World War as a cartographer before being employed in a local Southampton engineering firm. Following the discovery of the Titanic by Dr. Robert Ballard in September 1985, she became one of the most sought after and recognizable celebrities of the disaster, appearing at numerous Titanic conventions, exhibitions and autograph signing sessions. In 1997 she was invited on board the Queen Elizabeth II as a special guest passenger for one of the ship's Trans-Atlantic crossings. She became the last survivor of the Titanic following the death of Barbara West Dainton on October 16th 2007.

BOAT NO. 10.* British Report (p. 38) says third at 1.20. I think No. 6 went later, though Buley (Am. Inq., p. 604) claims No. 10 as the last lifeboat lowered.

No male passengers in this boat.

Passengers: First cabin. Miss Andrews, Miss Longley, Mrs. Hogeboom. Second cabin, Mrs. Parrish, Mrs. Shelley. 41 women, 7 children. Crew: Seamen: Buley (in charge), Evans; Fireman Rice ; Stewards Burke and one other.

Stowaway: i Japanese.

Jumped from A Deck into boat being lowered: I Armenian.

Total: 55


Edward J. Buley, A. B. (Am. Inq., p. 604).

Chief Officer Wilde said: See if you can find another seaman to give you a hand, and jump in." I found Evans, my mate, the able-bodied seaman, and we both got in the boat.

Much of Seaman Buley's and of Steward Burke's testimony is a repetition of that of Seaman Evans, so I cite the latter only:

F. O. Evans, A. B. (Am. Inq., p. 675).

I went up (on the Boat Deck) with the remain- der of the crew and uncovered all of the port boats. Then to the starboard side and lowered the boats there with the assistance of the Boat- swain of the ship, A. Nichol. I went next (after No. 12) to No. 10. Mr. Murdoch was standing there. I lowered the boat with the assistance of a steward. The chief officer said: "Get into that boat. I got into the bows. A young ship's baker (J. Joughin) was getting the children and chucking them into the boat. Mr. Murdoch and the baker made the women jump across into the boat about two feet and a half. "He threw them on to the women and he was catching children by their dresses and chucking them in.'* One woman in a black dress slipped and fell. She seemed nervous and did not like to jump at first. When she did jump she did not go far enough, but fell between the ship and the boat. She was pulled in by some men on the deck below, went up to the Boat Deck again, took another jump, and landed safely in the boat. There were none of the children hurt. The only accident was with this woman. The only man passenger was a for- eigner, up forward. He, as the boat was being lowered, jumped from A Deck into the boat — deliberately jumped across and saved himself.

When we got to the water it was impossible to get to the tripper underneath the thwart on account of women being packed so tight. We had to lift the fall up off the hook by hand to release the spring to get the block and fall away from it. We pushed off from the ship and rowed away about 200 yards. We tied up to three other boats. We gave the man our painter and made fast to No. 12. We stopped there about an hour, and Officer Lowe came over with his boat No. 14 and said: *'You seamen will have to distribute these passengers among these boats. Tie them together and come into my boat to go over to the wreckage and pick up anyone that is alive there."

Witness testified that the larger lifeboats would hold sixty people.

Senator Smith: Do you wish to be understood that each lifeboat like Nos. 12 and 14 and 10 could be filled to its fullest capacity and lowered to the water with safety?

Mr. Evans : Yes, because we did it then, sir.

Senator Smith : That is a pretty good answer.

Mr. Evans : It was my first experience in seeing a boat loaded like that, sir.

The stern of the ship, after plunging forward, remained floating in a perpendicular position about four or five minutes.

W. Burke, dining-room steward (Am. Inq., p. 822).

I went to my station and found that my boat, No. I, had gone. Then to the port side and assisted with No. 8 boat and saw her lowered. Then I passed to No. 10. The officer said, '*Get right in there," and pushed me toward the boat, and I got in. When there were no women to be had around the deck the officer gave the order for the boat to be lowered. After the two seamen (Buley and Evans) were transferred to boat No. 14, some of the women forward said to me: *'There are two men down here in the bottom of the boat." I got hold of them and pulled one out. He apparently was a Japanese and could not speak English. I put him at an oar. The other appeared to be an Italian. I tried to speak to him but he said: "Armenian." I also put him at an oar. I afterwards made fast to an officer's boat — I think it was Mr. Lightoller's (i. e., No. 12).

Mrs. Imanita Shelley's affidavit (Am. Inq., p. 1146).

Mrs. Shelley with her mother, Mrs. L. D. Par- rish, were second cabin passengers. Mrs. Shelley had been sick and it was with difficulty that she reached the deck, where she was assisted to a chair. After some time a sailor ran to her and implored her to get in the lifeboat that was then being launched — one of the last on the ship. Pushing her mother toward the sailor, Mrs. Shelley made for the davits where the boat hung.

There was a space of between four or five feet between the edge of the deck and the suspended boat. The sailor picked up Mrs. Parrish and threw her bodily into the boat. Mrs. Shelley jumped and landed safely. There were a fireman and a ship's baker among the crew at the time of launching. The boat was filled with women and children, as many as could get in without overcrowding. There was trouble with the tackle and the ropes had to be cut.

Just as they reached the water, a crazed Italian jumped from the deck into the lifeboat, landing on Mrs. Parrish, severely bruising her right side and leg.

Orders had been given to keep in sight of the ship's boat which had been sent out ahead to look for help. Throughout the entire period, from the time of the collision and taking to the boats, the ship's crew behaved in an ideal manner. Not a man tried to get into a boat unless ordered to, and many were seen to strip off their clothing and wrap it around the women and children, who came up half-clad from their beds. Mrs. Shelley says that no crew could have behaved in a more perfect manner.

J. Joughin, head baker (Br. Inq.)

Chief Officer Wilde shouted to the stewards to keep the men passengers back, but there was no necessity for the order as they were keeping back. The order was splendid. The stewards, firemen and sailors got in line and passed the ladies in; and then we had difficulty to find ladies to go into the boat. No distinction at all as to class was made. I saw a number of third-class women with their bags, which they would not let go.

The boat was let down and the women were forcibly drawn into it. The boat was a yard and a half from the ship's side. There was a slight list and we had to drop them in. The officer ordered two sailors and a steward to get in.


Public Member Trees Ancestry.com Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. Family trees submitted by Ancestry members.


Ancestry Family Tree http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=1955220&pid=2717

view all

Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean's Timeline

February 2, 1912
Branscombe, Devon, England
May 31, 2009
Age 97
Ashurst, Hampshire