Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Hill
About Elizabeth Hill
Children of Richard Ellis and Elizabeth French born in Dedham, Mass. :
i. Elizabeth 3 , b. 23 July 1651.
- Maiden Name Ellis [given in marriage record]
- parents: not daughter of Henry Thorpe!
- Married 1st on 1 May 1677 in Billerica, MA Benjamin Bullard, son of Robert Bullard and Anne Martyn Thorpe [Billerica VR 231]
- Married 2nd About 1693 to John Hill, son of John Hill and Frances Tilden, in Sherborn, MA
- Died 1 December 1719 in Sherborn [ Sherborn VR 205]
- There is a distinct possibility she is Elizabeth Hill daughter of Richard1 Ellis of Dedham since Benjamin Bullard was also of Dedham. But why then the marriage in Billerica?
- Theory she is the daughter of Richard Ellis and Elizabeth French of Dedham born 23 May 1651.
- Supporting this theory a) She and Benjamin Bullard were both from Dedham b) The only other Ellis marriages in Billerica were Eleazar Ellis her nephew; Mary (Sibley) Ellis wid of her brother Ebenezer; Ruth (Morse) Ellis widow of her uncle Joseph Ellis. c) Who Else was in Billerica? The Entire French Family!!! In other words her mother's family. Given her age is correct for this marriage and that her family has links to both Dedham and Billerica I think this conclusions is very convincing.
A theory was floated in earlier Bullard Genealogies that Benjamin Bullard married "Elizabeth Thorpe" supposed daughter of Henry Thorpe but no evidence can be found for this. In fact it would imply he married his own half sister which makes no sense at all. We can see that Benjamin Bullard married Elizabeth *Ellis* 1 May 1677 in Billerica [Billerica VR 250] not Elizabeth Thorpe:
- Foster, F. Apthorp (ed.). Vital Records of Billerica, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. (Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1908), 231. "BULLARD, Benjamin of Medfield, and Elizabeth Ellice, May 1, 77."
The date is consist with all the facts we know about this family. Her parents are currently unknown.
Elizabeth Ellis died on Friday, 1 December 1719 in Sherborn, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
- Baldwin, Thomas W. Vital Records of Sherborn, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. (Boston, Mass: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1911), 205. "HILL, Elizabeth, wid. of John Sr., [died] Dec. 1, 1719"
Children of Elizabeth Thorpe and Benjamin Bullard
- Lt. John Bullard+2 (7 Mar 1678 - 10 Jan 1754)
- Elizabeth Bullard+5 (31 Jan 1681 - )
- Eleazer Bullard6 (31 Jan 1681 - )
- Mary Bullard+6 (20 Mar 1683 - 8 May 1758)
- Malachi Bullard+6 (8 Mar 1685 - )
- Lt. Isaac Bullard+2,6 (25 Apr 1688 - 7 Jul 1742)
Child of Elizabeth Ellis and John Hill
- Abigail Hill+3 (10 Jun 1695 - 17 Sep 1736)
Who was the wife of Benjamin Bullard
We know know she was not the daughter of Henry Thorpe!
He maiden Name Ellis [given in marriage record] Married 1st on 1 May 1677 in Billerica, MA Benjamin Bullard, son of Robert Bullard and Anne Martyn Thorpe [Billerica VR 231]
- She is the daughter of Richard Ellis and Elizabeth French of Dedham born 23 May 1651. Benjamin Bullard was also from Dedham and likely knew the family. Elizabeth Ellis is the only recorded Elizabeth Ellis to be the correct age:
Dedham (Massachusetts). Town Clerk; Julius Herbert Tuttle; Benjamin Fisher; and Don Gleason Hill. The early records of the town of Dedham, Massachusetts. (Dedham, Massachusetts: Dedham Transcript Press, 1886-1936), p. 5. 1651.
- Ellis: Elizabeth, the Daughter of Richard & Elizabeth Ellis, was borne the 23 of the 5 m'o.
Problem: why was she married in Billerica??? Can we tie Elizabeth of Dedham to Billerica? Otherwise this theory is weak. Yes we can:
a) She and Benjamin Bullard were both from Dedham
b) The only other Ellis marriages in Billerica besides theirs were
- Eleazar Ellis her nephew;
- Mary (Sibley) Ellis wid of her brother Ebenezer;
- Ruth (Morse) Ellis widow of her uncle Joseph Ellis.
c) Who Else was in Billerica? The Entire French Family!!! In other words her mother's family.
Given her age is correct for this marriage and that her family has links to both Dedham and Billerica I think this conclusions is very convincing.
- Plummer, John. The Martyn Wives of Robert and John Bullard. New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (1992), 146:280. âAnne, b. say 1604; d. before 15 Oct. 1660 (Edgar J. Bullard, Other Bullards [Port Austin, Mich., 1928], 7); m. probably ca. 1625, Robert Bullard, b. probably in Barnham ca. 1600; d. at Watertown, Mass., 24 April 1639, aged 40, son of William and Grace (Bignette) Ballard (Bullard and Allied Families, 12-13). Anne (Martyn) Bullard married (2) before November 1639 Henry Thorpe.
- Historic Homes and Institutions and Genealogical and Personal ..., Volume 3Â By Ellery Bicknell Crane. page 46.
- John Hill of Dorchester, Mass., and his descendants by J. Gardner Bartlett. Published 1904 by New-England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston. Written in English. Â Page 4-5.
Elizabeth Hill's Timeline
May 23, 1651
Dedham, Norfolk, Massachusetts
March 7, 1678
Sherborn, Middlesex, Massachusetts
January 27, 1681
Medfield, MA, USA
February 20, 1683
Of, Sherborn, Middlesex, Massachusetts
March 8, 1685
Sherborn, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
July 25, 1688
June 10, 1695
December 1, 1719
Sherborn, Middlesex, Massachusetts