About Francis Slaughter, Jr.
Francis Slaughter, Jr.
- Sex: M
- Birth: BET 1653 AND 1656 in Essex Co., VA. 2
- Will: 06 NOV 1718 Richmond Co., VA. 2
- Probate: 04 MAR 1718/19 Richmond Co., VA.
- Father: Francis Slaughter Sr. b: ABT 1630 in VA.
- Mother: Elizabeth Underwood b: BET 1632 AND 1635 in England
8-Francis (1653-1718), Richmond Co., Va.
- 1) 1679, Margaret Hudson or Gaines, parents unknown
- 2) 1711 Ann Hudson, daughter of Joshua Hudson and Elizabeth Rush. She survived him and married William Marshall second.
Children of Francis Slaughter and Margaret Hudson or Gaines:
- 1. Robert SLAUGHTER, b. 1680. Married Frances Ann Jones.
- 2. Â William SLAUGHTER Â
- 3. Â Mary SLAUGHTER; m. John TAYLORÂ
- 4. Â Elizabeth [Margaret?] SLAUGHTER; m. bef. 28 Jun 1719, John UNDERWOOD, s/o Maj. William UNDERWOOD (1649-1717)
Children of Francis Slaughter and Ann Hudson:
- 5.Â Martha SLAUGHTER; m. 1730s, Newman BROWN, d/o Maxfield BROWN of King George Co., VA
Francis Slaughter was born about 1653 in St. Mary's parish, Essex County, Virginia. He was the only child of Francis Slaughter and Elizabeth Underwood. He married Margaret Hudson about 1675. Her parents are not known. By 1685, he was Sheriff of Rappahannock County, Virginia. Francis and Margaret had five children. The will of Francis Slaughter, dated November 6, 1718, Essex County, Virginia, probated March 4 1718/9, mentioned wife Margaret [SIC], but did not mention son Robert.Â
Francis Jr., was the only sobn of Captain Francis And Elizabeth (Underwood) Slaughter. He is referenced in a gift from Margaret (then Lucas), his grandmother, of a cow for his use on 5 January 1663-64 (ref: - Old Rappahannock VA Records 1656-64, p. 326). Francis is styled as a planter in Richmond County, Virginia. The Will of Francis directs that his goods made over to his wife by a deed of gift before marriage be well and truly paid, and that as, with his wife's consent he had sold a Negro called Frank, given her by that deed, which in lieu of dower, he directs that she be given a Negro called Caesar. His will further provides that hiswife be given corn in the ground and other necessaries for the maintenance of her family. All the rest of his estate, real and personal hebequeaths to his daughters, Mary and Elizabeth. Son-in-law John Taylor, is designated as the sole executor.
1.Â Robert K. Headley, Jr..Â c2003.Â Married Well and Often: Marriages of the Northern Neck of Virginia, 1649-1800: Marriages and Marriage references for the Counties of Lancaster, Northumberland, Old Rappahannock, Richmond, and Westmoreland.Â Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD (online at Ancestry.com) : p. 55 BROWN, Newman & SLAUGHTER, Martha; 1730s; groom was a son of Maxfield BROWN of KGC; bride was the only child of Francis SLAUGHTER (1657-1718) and his 2nd wife Ann HUDSON of RC; (KGC DB 2:93, 289; RC WB 4:77; MRC:26)
p. 321 SLAUGHTER, Francis & [HUDSON,] Margaret; c. 1679; groom was a son of Francis & Elizabeth (UNDERWOOD) SLAGHTER; but see Avant:623 where it is suggested that Margaret was a dau. of Daniel GAINES; (Avant:623; Slaughter:302)
SLAUGHTER, Francis Sr.& HUDSON, Ann; 1. Aug 1711; prenup. agreement dtd. 11 Jul 1711; groom was from St. Mary's Par., RC; bride was SLAUGHTER's 2nd wife; (RC DB 6:5, 275; WB 4:77; Slaughter:308)
p. 345 TAYLOR, John & SLAUGHTER, Mary; bet. 3 Feb 1705 - 6 Nov 1718; bride was a dau. of Francis (d. 1718) & Margaret SLAUGHTER; (RC DB 4:14; DB 7:435; WB 4:77; MRC:206)
p. 359 UNDERWOOD, John & SLAUGHTER, Elizabeth; bef. 28 Jun 1719; groom was the eld. son of Maj. Wm. UNDERWOOD (1649-1717); bride was a dau. of Francis (d. 1719) & Margaret SLAUGHTER; Willis:58 gives the bride's name as "Margaret Slaughter"; (RC DB 7:418; DGC DB 2:476; MRC:221; Willis:58)
2.Â George Norbury MacKenzie.Â 1907-12.Â Colonial Families of the United States of America.Â 7 vols.Â Vol. I by Grafton Press, New York; Vols. II-VII by Seaforth Press, Baltimore, MD (republ. 1966/95 by Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD; Broderbund CD-189; online at Ancestry.com): v. 5 p. 460 FRANCIS SLAUGHTER, b. Essex County, Virginia, 1653; d. 1718; a planter in Richmond County, Virginia; m. Margaret HUDSON, 1679.
- Â I. Â ROBERT, b. 1680, of whom later.
- Â II. Â William.
- Â III. Â Martha, m. John TAYLOR.
- Â IV. Â Mary.
- Â V. Â Elizabeth.
It was Mary who married John TAYLOR.
- Slaughter Family
- John S. Carpenter
- The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
- Vol. 21, No. 3 (Jul., 1913), pp. 306-310
- Published by: Virginia Historical Society
- Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4243288
- Page Count: 5
- Frederick Adams Virkus, ed.Â 1933.Â The Compendium of American Genealogy.Â Institute of American Genealogy, Chicago (repub. 1968 by Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore; Broderbund CD-200): p. 2067
- Reference: MyHeritage Family Trees - SmartCopy: Jun 17 2016, 3:02:25 UTC
Francis Slaughter, Jr.'s Timeline
Essex County, Virginia
Essex County, Virginia
Essex County , Virginia
Richmond County, Virginia
November 6, 1718
Richmond County, Virginia