Historical records matching John Nantz Gastineau
About John Nantz Gastineau
1. Indiana Works Progress Administration, Greene county Indiana - Marriage Record Index 1823/53 to 1920 Vol 1 A - F Vol 2 G - M Vol 3 N - Z (1939), Clerk of Greene County Circuit and Superior Court, Greene County Courthouse, 1 W. Main St., P. O. Box. 229, Bloomfield, Indiana 47424. Bk. K Pg. 478.
1. Biographical Memiors of Greene County Indiana, 3 Vols. (1908 B.F. Bowen & Co., Indianapolis, Ind.), Vol. 3 Pg. 943-4. "JOHN NANTZ GASTINEAU - - - he subject, who is a retired farmer, now making his home in Linton, was born in Shelby county, Illinois, December 9, 1857, and received a common school education in Benton county, Arkansas, partly at Pea Ridge, three years of his early boyhood days having been spent away from home in that state. - - The Subject was married in Stockton township, Greene County, December 11, 1879, to Mary Klink, daughter of John and Martha (Ramacher) Klink. Both parents of the wifer of the subject were natives of Germany, who came to the United States early in life and married in Greene county, Indiana, where they spent their youth. - - - - John Klink was a cooper and worked in Terre Haute for some time after his marriage, remaining in that city until January 31, 1836. There were six children in the Klink Family, four of whom are living. They are: Mrs. Gastineau, the subject's wife, who was the eldest; Frederick, deceased; Elizabeth, the wife of William Heitman, Sr., living in Linton; John, deceased; another child was also named John, who is living on a farm in Stockton township, Greene county; Henry is a hardware merchant in Linton. - - - John N. Gastineau had always beem a farrmer until he retired in 1803 , and he still owns eighty acres in Grant township. On November 21, 1906, he met with a serious accident by coming in contact with a "live" electric wire, which came very near causing his death. One side has remained partially paralyzed from the effects of the shock, and he lost a finger from his right hand. - - Mr. Gastineau is the son of Adam and Elizabeth (NANZT) Gastineau, both deceased, the former having died near Linton and the latter in Shelby county, Illinois, on the old homestead. The subjects father as a sodlier in the Civil War, having enlisted from Illinois and died of smallpox while at home on a furlough. The subject is the only survior of a family of five children. Dorcas Jane, the subjects sister, married twice. She was the wife of Laban Greene when she died in Missouri. William the subjects brother, died in childhood; John N., our subjetc; James also died in childhood; Andrew J., a farmer, died September 17, 1894, leaving a wife and three children, who still live on the farm he owned in Grant townshiup. The living children are John Francis and Ella, the wife of Claude Long. The widow left by the death of Andrew Gastineau has remarried, how being the wife of Neil Roach. - - - The subject of this sketch came to Stockton township, Greene county, in 1866. His grandparents, the family of James Gastineau, lived there in pioneer days and the father of the subject was visiting his parents when he died. The family came to Indiana from Kentucky in a very early day. The Gastineau family is of French extraction. - - - John N. Gastineau is a stanch Republican, but he never held public office, and has no lodge connections. However, he is popular amoung a large circle of friends and acquaintances, as is also his family. Mrs. Gastineau is a member of the German Reformed Church."
2. 1900 United States Census, Indiana Microfilm #T623-374 Greene Co Stockton Twp pg. 225 324/339. "Gastineau, John Dec. 1857 Il capitalist; Mary Jan 1856 Inno children; and Martha Klink May 1830 Germany mother-in-law."
3. 1910 United States Census, Indiana Microfilm #T624 ROll #352 VOl. 41 (1-215) Greene County Stockton twp Linton pg. 9. "Gastineau, John N. 52 Il. farmer; and Mary 54 In. no children."
4. Greene County Indiana - Estate Index, VOl. 3, Clerk of Greene County Circuit and Superior Court, Greene County Courthouse, 1 W. Main St., P. O. Box. 229, Bloomfield, Indiana 47424. "john N. Gastineau James W> gastineau Ex box 389 file3300."
5. Greene County Health Department, Greene County Indiana Death Record Report [Index] 188? - 199?, pg. 196. "Gastineau, John N. 3 Feb. 1939 81y Bk. CHO-2 pg. 84."
6. Cemeteries of Western Greene County Indiana Vol. III, Fairview Cemetery, Linton, Indiana (1984/5 Anundsen Publishing Co. Decorah, Ia.), Pg. 38. "John N. Gastineau 9 Dec. 1857 8 Feb. 1939."