|Also Known As:||"Margaret Buchanan"|
|Birthplace:||Duntreath, Strathblane, Stirling, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Buchanan,,Stirlingshire,Scotland|
|Place of Burial:||UK|
Daughter of Sir Archibald Edmonstone, 3rd of Duntreath and Janet Shaw
|Occupation:||daughter of Sir Archibald Edmonstone of Duntreith|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Margaret Edmonstone
About Margaret Edmonstone
Chiefs of Clan Buchanan
- 15th – George Buchanan, (Guthrie Smith identifies him as 10th Chief and Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 17th Chief) succeed his grandfather, Walter 14th of Buchanan, in 1526 and died 1560. He first married Margaret Edmonstone and by her a son (John [Guthrie Smith identifies him as 11th Chief but then goes on to advise that the Chiefship passed from John’s father to John’s son and Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 18th Chief[79 who married Elizabeth Livingston and by her had George who succeeded his grandfather) and two daughters (Helen and Susanna). Second he married Janet Cunningham and by her had a son (William first ancestor of the cadets of Auchmar) and a daughter (Margaret).
- 16th – Sir George Buchanan, (Guthrie Smith identifies him as 12th Chief and Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 19th Chief) succeed his grandfather, George 15th of Buchanan, in 1561, married Lady Mary Graham and by her one son (John his successor) and two daughters (Helen and Susanna).
- '4. George Buchanan of that Ilk, c 1557
- ' George Buchanan succeeded his grandfather in 1526. He married twice. (1) Margaret Edmonstone', ( 2 ) Janet Cunningham. By his first wife he had John and by his second wife William ( first of Auchmar ) , and Margaret. George died 15 February 1560/61.
- A shield of arms couché: Three ( boar's or bear's ) heads and necks erased. Crest unknown. Inscription illegible. Source, ( Leny and Bardowie Ch. ).
- From: http://www.buchanan-heraldry.net.nz/body/seals.html
- From: Stirnet
- A. Patrick Buchanan, younger of Buchanan (dvp before 09.03.1502-3)
- m. _ Campbell (dau of Earl of Argyll) suggested by BLG1952
- ' i. George Buchanan of that ilk, 15 Buchanan (d 1561)
- ' m1. Margaret Edmonstone (dau of Sir Archibald Edmonstone, 3rd of Duntreath)
- a. John Buchanan, younger of Buchanan (dvp)
- m1. (03.02.1543-4) Elizabeth Livingston (dau of Alexander Livingston, 5th Lord of Callendar)
- m2. Janet Cunynghame
- b. William Buchanan, 1st of Auchmar (d before 20.11.1588)
- m. (mcrt 20.02.1559-60) Elizabeth Hamilton (dau of Robert Hamilton of Eglismachan)
- c. Margaret Buchanan
- (?)m1. _ Cuninghame of Robertland
- m1/2. (before 06.08.1544) George Stirling of Glorat (d Pinke 10.09.1547)
- m2/3. Matthew Douglas, 7th of Mains (a 1549)
- Main sources:
- (1) "Strathendrick and its Inhabitants from Early Times" by John Guthrie Smith, published in Glasgow in 1896
- (2) BLG1952 (Murray-Buchanan of Leny).
Margaret Edmonstone's Timeline
Duntreath, Strathblane, Stirling, Scotland