Rachel Vinson (Varney)
|Also Known As:||"Rachel Cooke", "Rachel Langton", "widow Vincent"|
|Birthplace:||England or, Barbados, West Indies|
|Death:||Died in Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts|
Daughter of William Varney; William Varney; Bridget Varney and Bridget Varney
|Occupation:||Charged with witchcraft in 1692, released bond October 1692|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Rachel Vinson
About Rachel Vinson
Rachel Varney was born 1632 in Barbadoes, West Indies or more likely in England, and died February 15, 1707/08 in Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts.
- President Millard Fillmore and comedienne Lucille Ball and among her descendants.
- In 1692, she was imprisoned for witchcraft. Her brother Thomas married Abigail Proctor, sister of John Proctor, the hero of Arthur Miller's play "The Crucible," who was hanged on Aug 19, 1692.
- In the fall of 1692, signed as "widow Vincent" the "Petition of Ten Prisoners at Ipswich" (Salem Witchcraft Papers, Vol 3, doc. attached). Rachel was released on bond in October 1692. On 1693, May, 2d Tuesday, It appears that the first Supreme Court, which sat in Ipswich, now convenes here to try persons charged with witchcraft, all of whom are cleared. (Oyer and Terminer Court Records).
- Accused included her grand daughter, 15 years old at the time.
- Parents: William Varney (1608-1653) & Bridget Knight (1611-1672)
- 1647 in Ipswich, MA to Thomas Cook (Abt 1626-1650)
- 26 July 1652 in Ipswich, MA to Joseph Langton (1620-1661) Divorced him on 22 May 1661.
- on June 10, 1661 In Gloucester, Essex, MA to William Vinson (1610-1690)
Children of Thomas Cook & Rachel Varney
- John Cooke, born abt 1650; died bef 1697. Married Mary Collins.
Children of Joseph Langton & Rachel Varney
- Rachel Langton, born abt 1651 in Gloucester, MA; died 7 March 1673. Married Hugh Rowe.
- Mary Langton, born abt 1654 in Gloucester, MA; died 15/18 July 1706. Married Thomas Day.
Children of William Vinson & Rachel Varney # Thomas Vinson, born 1 April 1662 in Gloucester, MA; died 31 December 1675.
- Abigail Vinson, born 28 May 1668 in Gloucester, Essex, MA; died 15 Feb 1707. Married Jacob Elwell.
In his Will written on March 19, 1685 (New Style), William Vinson had the following heirs:
- Wife Rachel
- Son John, gone and apparently unheard of, possibly dead
- Daughter Abigail, apparently unmarried
- Daughter Sarah Parsons, living
- The children of daughters Gardner and Ellary, both deceased
- "Daughter in Law" Mary Day
- John Cooke, son of "Son in Law" John Cooke
- William Richard Cutter, New England Families Genealogical and Memorial: Volume IV, (Reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1996), 1972.
- SAVAGE, VOL 4 ICT FIRST SETTLERS OF NE, 109.
- Genealogical Register of the First Settlers of New England, 297.Links
Rachel Vinson's Timeline
Barbados, West Indies
Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
Gloucester, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
April 1, 1662
May 28, 1668
Gloucester, Essex, MA
- October 1692
Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts