Samuel Richardson, of Woburn

Is your surname Richardson?

Research the Richardson family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Samuel Richardson, of Woburn

Birthplace: Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
Death: March 23, 1658
Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Place of Burial: First Burial Ground, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Thomas Richardson, of Standon and Katherine Richardson
Husband of Joanna Richardson
Father of Samuel Richardson; Mary Mousall; Lt. John Richardson; Hannah Richardson; Joseph Richardson and 5 others
Brother of Elizabeth Wyman; John Richardson; James Richardson; Ezekiel Richardson, of Woburn; Margaret Richardson and 1 other

Occupation: Yeoman, Farmer
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Samuel Richardson, of Woburn

Samuel Richardson

  • Birth: Dec 22 1604 / ca 1601 in Westmill, Hertfordshire, England,
  • Death: Mar 23 1658 - Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts
  • Parents: Thomas Richardson, Katherine Duxford
  • Married: Joanna Thake

The Richardson Memorial by John Adams Vinton, 1876 printed by Brown Thurston & Co., Portland, Maine (1876), pg. 183 - 184:

SAMUEL RICHARDSON, the 2nd of the three brothers of that name, who united in the settlement of Woburn, was born in England, not far from the year 1610. We do no know in what year he came to this country. Possibly he came with his elder brother, Ezekiel, in 1630, though this is not at all probable. A list of fifty-eight men, inhabitants of Charlestown, dated Jan. 9, 1633-4, is found on the records of that town. Among them is the name of Ezekiel Richardson, but not Samuel or of Thomas, his brothers. A similar list was made out, Jan. 1635-6, in which Ezekiel appears, but neither of his brothers. The first notice we find of Samuel is dated July 1, 1636, when he and his brother Thomas Richardson, with others, were on a committee to lay out lots of land for hay. In 1637, the names of Samuel and Thomas Richardson first appear in a list of inhabitants of Charlestown. The same year the town of Charlestown granted to each of them a "house-plot," clearly indicating that they had recently become residents in the place. These two brothers were admitted members of the church there, Feb.. 18, 1637-8, in consequence of which they were made freemen of the colony, May 2, 1638. Samuel was chosen surveyor of the highways, March 17, 1636-7.

Putting all these things together, it amounts to a certainty that while Ezekiel arrived in June or July, 1630, his younger brothers did not come till 1636. Ezekiel may have been twenty-five or thirty on his coming. Samuel was probably four or five years younger.

The three brothers had lots assigned them, April 20, 1638, on "Misticke side above the Ponds," that is, in Malden, and their names, among others, appear as persons having the privilege of pasturing cows upon the Common, Dec. 30, 1638.

On the 5th of Nov., 1640. the three brothers and four others, Edward Convers, Edward Johnson, John Mousall, and Thomas Graves, were chosen by the church of Charlestown as commissioners or agents for the settlement of a church and town, within what were then the limits of Charlestown, but soon after erected into a separate town, and called Woburn. That whole territory was then a wide, uncultivated waste. In the February following, the commissioners built a bridge over the Aberjona River, as the Mystic River is called, north of Mystic Pond. This bridge was known in after times as Convers' Bridge, from Edward Convers, the proprietor of the adjacent mill. He lived in the immediate vicinity, in the first house built in Woburn. His descendants lived there, or in that vicinity, and the entire locality is now in the heart of the town of Winchester.

When the church was constituted in Woburn, Aug. 14, 1642, O.S., Samuel Richardson and his two brothers, with John Mousall, Edward Johnson, Edward Convers, and William Leonard, solemnly stood forth, as the nucleus around which the church was to be gathered.

The three brothers lived near to each other, on the same street, which has ever since been known as "Richardson's Row." It was by the town laid out as a street in 1647, and the three Richardsons are in the town book represented as then living upon it.

Samuel Richardson was selectman of Woburn in 1644-1646, and 1649-1651. In 1645, he paid the highest tax of any man in Woburn; Capt. Edward Johnson the next.

His wife was Joanna------. It should have been mentioned that she united with the church in Charlestown, on the 9th of the 7th month, or Sept. 9, 1639.

He died, intestate, March 23, 1658. The inventory is dated March 29, 1658. His widow Joanna and eldest son, John, were appointed administrators. [Midd. Prob. Rc., i. 142.] Lieut. John Wyman, of Woburn, was appointed guardian of his sons, John and Joseph, June 25, 1658.


Came to America in about 1633

view all 36

Samuel Richardson, of Woburn's Timeline

December 22, 1603
Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
December 22, 1603
Westmill, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
December 22, 1603
December 22, 1603
West Mill, Hertz (Hertfordshire), England
December 22, 1603
Westmill, Herts, England
December 22, 1603
St. Mary, Virgin, Westmill, Hertfordshire, Eng
December 22, 1604
Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
December 22, 1604
St. Mary the Virgin, Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
December 22, 1604
Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
July 3, 1633
Westmill, Hertfordshire, England