William Skipwith, Knight
|Birthplace:||South Ormsby, Lincolnshire, England|
|Death:||Died in South Ormsby, Lincolnshire , England|
Son of Thomas Skipwith, Sir and Margery Fitzhugh
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Sir William Skipwith of Ormsby
About Sir William Skipwith of Ormsby
William Skipwith, knight
- Birth: 1417 - South Ormsby, Lincolnshire, England
- Parents: Sir Thomas Skipwith, Margaret Willoughby
- Wife: Joan Mortimer, Agnes Constable
- Death: Before Nov 27 1482 - South Ormsby, Lincolnshire, England
- Memorial: brass effigy in the church
AKA: William Skipwith of South Ormsby, high sheriff of Linconshire
- From "History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester". By John Nichols. Vol.III., Pt.I. First published 1800.
Sir William Skipwith succeeded to the family estates after the death of his mother in 1440. Held lands in Skipwith and Merethorpe, Yorkshire and at South Ormsby, Ketsby, Walmesgate, Calthorpe, Covenham, Garnethorpe, Wargholme, Laceby, Caldale and Somercotes in Lincolnshire.
Clerk of the Exchequer, 1447. Knighted by Henry VI in France. High Sheriff of Lincolnshire 1558 and 1465. Died 27 November 1482.
- from History of the County of Lincoln: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time, Volume 2 (Google eBook) J. Saunders, 1834. Page 176
South Ormesby is delightfully situated at the distance of about eight miles north-westward from Spilsby, the same distance north-eastward from Horncastle, and about six westward from Alford. In this village was formerly a seat belonging to the Skipwiths, the ancestor of whom, Sir William Skipwith acquired the estate in the reign of Edward III, by marriage with the daughter of sir Simon de Ormesby, knight. During the commonwealth, it was sold to the Massingberds, whose mansion stands in a well wooded park adjacent. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an interesting structure, consisting of a tower, nave, chancel, and a small chapel or chauntry on the north side. On a gravestone, containing the effigies in brass of sir William Skipwith, is the following inscription:
"Orate pro animabus Willhelmi Skipwith, Mililis, & Agnciis vxis eius, qui quidem Willus obiit AnnoDni. 1485."
- 'Sir William Skipwith, Sheriff of Lincolnshire1,2,3
- 'M, #46015, b. 1417, d. 1482
- Father Sir Thomas Skipwith4 d. 1 Dec 1417
- Mother Margaret Willoughby4 b. c 1393, d. c 1455
- ' Sir William Skipwith, Sheriff of Lincolnshire was born in 1417 at of Skipwith, Yorkshire, England; Age 22 weeks in March 1418; 34 weeks in June 1418.5 He married Agnes Constable, daughter of Sir John Constable, Sheriff of Yorkshire & Lincolnshire and Margaret Umfreville, circa 1439; 2nd marriage for both. They had 1 son (Sir John) & 2 daughters (Alice, wife of Sir John Markham; & Joan).6,7,2,5 Sir William Skipwith, Sheriff of Lincolnshire died before 1445.5
- 'Family Agnes Constable b. c 1420, d. a 1445
- Sir John Skipwith, Sheriff of Lincoln+1,8,2,5 b. c 1440, d. 5 Jan 1518
- Alice Skipwith+9,10 b. c 1444
- 1.[S11576] A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland, by John Burke, Esq. and John Bernard Burke, Esq., p. 487.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 34.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 337.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 336.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 336-337.
- 6.[S11576] A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland, by John Burke, Esq. and John Bernard Burke, Esq., p.487.
- 7.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 120.
- 8.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 658.
- 9.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
- 10.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 48-49.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1531.htm#i46015
- 'Sir William Skipwith1
- 'M, #578335, b. 1417, d. circa 1485
- Last Edited=28 Oct 2012
- ' Sir William Skipwith was born in 1417.1 He was the son of Sir Thomas Skipwith and Margaret Willoughby.2 He married Joan Mortimer, daughter of Sir Edmund/Robert Mortimer.1 He died circa 1485, with two daughters (Joan, Prioress Greenfield, died 1518.1
- ' Lincs 1458 Sheriff and 1465.1 Daughter of Sir John Constable, of Burton Constable.1 Alice, married Sir John Markham, of Cotham issue).1 Married 2nd Agnes, widow of Thomas St Quintin, of Harpham.1
- 'Child of Sir William Skipwith and Joan Mortimer
- 1.Sir John Skipwith+2 d. 1518
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 3, page 3641. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p57834.htm#i578335
- 'A brief account of the Skipwiths of Newbold, Metheringham and Prestwould (1867)
- CHART - Common Ancestors of the Skipwiths of Newbold, Metheringham, and Prestwould
- Sir Thomas Skipwith & Margaret d'Eresby
- 'Sir W. Skipwith & Joan Mortimer & Agnes Constable
- Sir John Skipwith & Catherine Fitz Williams
- Pg. 20
- 'Sir William Skipwith m1. Joan Mortimer no issue m2. Agnes Constable widow of Sir J. St. Quintin, ch: Sir John, Alice (m. Sir John Markham)
- 'Lincolnshire pedigrees (1902) Vol. III
- Pg. 495
- Skipwith of Skipwith, co. York, and South Ormsby. - cont.
- John Skipwith & Alice Tilney
- Sir Thomas Skipwith & margaret Willoughby
- 'Sir William Skipwith & Agnes Constable
- 'Listed as the widow of Thomas St. Quintin, her 1st husband in other references
- 'Agnes CONSTABLE
- Born: ABT 1433, Burton-Constable, Yorkshire, England
- Died: AFT 1449
- Father: John CONSTABLE of Halsham (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Margaret De UMFREVILLE
- 'Married 1: William SKIPWITH (Sir Knight) (son of Sir Thomas Skipwith and Margaret Willoughby)
- 1. John SKIPWITH of Ormsby (m. Catherine Fitzwilliam)
- 2. Alice SKIPWITH (m. Sir John Markham)
- 3. Joan SKIPWITH
- Married 2: Thomas St. QUINTIN
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/CONSTABLE2.htm#Agnes CONSTABLE1
- Margaret WILLOUGHBY
- Died: ABT 1444, South Ormsby, England
- Father: John WILLOUGHBY (3° B. Willoughby of Eresby)
- Mother: Cecily UFFORD
- Married: Thomas SKIPWITH (Sir Knight) (d. 30 Nov 1417) (son of John Skipwith and Alice Tilney)
- '1. William SKIPWITH (Sir Knight) (d. 24 Nov 1482) (m.1 Agnes Constable - m.2 Joan Mortimer)
- 2. Thomas SKIPWITH
- 3. Patrick SKIPWITH
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/WILLOUGHBY1.htm#Margaret WILLOUGHBY4
- from The English Baronetage Vol 3 Pt 2 (1741)Thos Wotton. Google Books
- [http://books.google.com/books?id=5ikwAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA276&lpg=PA276&dq=wiliam+skipwith+agnes+constable&source=bl&ots=cCO3k6z23G&sig=9Tq-sjWmCTu123ubl9N7p52W6-4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tR_PUc29C7SGiQL9w4HoCw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=wiliam%20skipwith%20agnes%20constable&f=false The Baronetage of England: Or The History of the English Baronets, and Such Baronets of Scotland, as are of English Families; with Genealogical Tables, and Engravings of Their Coats of Arms, Volume 1 (Google eBook) William Betham. Burrell and Bransby, 1801 - Baronetage. Page 276
William Skipwith (d. date unknown) William Skipwith died date unknown. He married Agnes Constable.
Children of William Skipwith and Agnes Constable are:
+Joan Skipwith, b. Abt. 1474, d. 1518.
Sir William Skipwith of Ormsby's Timeline
April 14, 1417
South Ormsby, Lincolnshire, England
South Ormsby, Lincolnshire, England
South Ormsby, Lincolnshire , England
November 27, 1482
South Ormsby, Lincolnshire , England
November 28, 1482