Famous People Connected to Dunbartonshire
Historic County of Scotland
Image right - John Anderson (1726-1796)
People of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown!
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Please add information about people of renown connected to Dunbartonshire, Scotland. If the person has a profile on Geni please add their profile to the project and add the link in bold.
- John Anderson FRSE FRS FSA(Scot) (1726 – 1796) was a Scottish natural philosopher and liberal educator at the forefront of the application of science to technology in the industrial revolution, and of the education and advancement of working men and women.
- Artgal – King of Strathclyde who became king around 849 AD with his fortress at Dumbarton Rock on the River Clyde. He was captured in 870 AD and taken as a prisoner to Dublin in 871 AD and died in 872 AD.
- Dayton Callie (born 1946) is a Scottish-born American actor, best known for playing Charlie Utter on HBO's Deadwood and former Police Chief Wayne Unser on Sons of Anarchy. He has also voiced Whitaker in Valve's Left 4 Dead 2, appeared in Halloween 2, and had small roles in episodes of the The Unit and Seinfeld. He was also in two episodes of the short-lived NBC series The Cape as the Mayor, and had a 3-episode arc on CSI.
- Jane Duncan (1910-1976) the novelist, was born Elizabeth Jane Cameron in Renton in 1910, the daughter of a police officer.
- Richard "Skeets" Gallacher (born 1925 in Renton, Scotland) was a leading boxer.
- James Allison Glen was born in Renton in 1877, the son of David Glen and wife Mary who a had boot and shoe shop in the village. James attended school in Renton and Alexandria before studying at Glasgow University. In 1911 he left for Canada where he practised law in Russell, Manitoba. In 1926 he was elected to the Canadian House of Commons as the MP for Marquette, Manitoba.
- [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harrison_(engineer) James Harrison] (1816 - 1893) was a Scottish born Australian newspaper printer, journalist, politician, and pioneer in the field of mechanical refrigeration. Born at St Johns (near Renton), Dunbartonshire, Scotland, the son of a fisherman.
- Cecilia Renton (daughter-in-law of Tobias Smollett) Renton, takes its name from her after whom the modern sandstone, 'model' village was named in 1762
- Robert the Bruce - Robert I, King of Scots died on 7 June 1329, at the Manor of Cardross, near Renton, where he had been living since 1326.
- Tobias George Smollett (1721 – 1771) was a Scottish poet and author
Related Projects on Geni
- [[https://www.geni.com/projects/Dunbartonshire-Main-Page/16029 Dunbartonshire Main Page]
- Historic Dunbartonshire (Link to follow)
- People Connected to Dunbartonshire
References, Sources and further reading
this project is in History Link