Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - C
This is a sub-project of Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - Main Page
Extracted from Publication -
THE WHITES OF ENKELDOORN 1880 to 1980
A history of the families of european descent who settled in the area of Enkeldoorn (renamed Chivu) Rhodesia. now Zimbabwe.
Author -- Sarel Van der Walt
Completed in approximately the year 2001
POPULATION ENKELDOORN - C
... and some GUTU RELATIVES 1880 TO 1980 All family details, dates, residences and occupations as far as could be ascertained. List not complete)
- Alexander Kenneth known as Ken and his brother Donald were born in South Africa and grew up with their parents moving from lace to place following diamond and gold ventures. The family arrived in Rhodesia via Beit Bridge.
- Ken was trained and worked as a carpenter but later took to building contracting. During World War 2 he joined the army but was kept in Rhodesia doing building work for the entire war. He was a keen rugby player till he injured a knee and sufferd with a crooked and painful kee for the rest of his life.
- Myra was born in Knysna, South Africa. She trained as a nurse and won the Provincial Gold Medal for her general training. She did Maternity training at the Provincial hospital, Cape Town and also did infectious diseases in the Cape.
One of Myra's friends as a student nurse, was from Rhodesia where she was going out with Ken. He went to visit her but she developed measles and asked Myra to show him around till she recovered. Once he met Myra he lost interest in his former sweetheart and he and Myra married a yer later
- They spent the first years of their marriage moving about the country as he built in various towns. In Enkeldoorn he built among others, the old Maternity Home, the Post Office, the Magistrate's Court, the school hostels, the flats at the Police Compound , the Town Hall and the Peter Brocklehurst Foundation buildings which he did at cost, thereby making a substantial donation to the Foundation.
- Myra started helping at the Maternity Home while staying at the Hotel. and spent the rest of her life helping people in the community. She had a strong religious belief which was not tied to any one church, she was a member of all churches and helped quite indiscriminately without regard to colour or creed. She tought Sunday school for many years and was known as Granny Campbell to all children. She visited all the elderly in Enkeldoorn and in particular for as long as her strength permitted, served as selector and adored councilor to the inmates at Brocklehurst Foundation.
- They decided to buy a farm in the area but sold it when they bought a property from Mr. Peter Broaklehurst on which Ken built a house. They moved to the farm when their sons went to boarding school. Ken was not a farmer by temperement but bought some cattle and planted some tobacco till his son Keith took over. He continued with his building until he had a stroke which incapacitted him and affected his speech, after that he did not feel at ease in company and kept very much to his family.
- Brian Alexander trained as an agronomist and worked in the Government Laboratory then after doing his Phd started his own advisory buusiness. He is part owner of Witham Estates but has always lived in Harare.
- Keith went to Avondale Junior school then Prince Edward and then Cedara Agricultural Colledge He was Captain of rugby at both Prince Edward and Cedara. He did Terrotorial training and then drafted, started as private and ended up as Major and acting Colonel. He became a fulltime farmer at Enkeldoorn where he was Chairman of the ICA (Intensive Conservation Area) for many years. During the same period he was also chairman of the Enkeldoorn Social Club and vice Chair of the Farmers Association. He represented Enkeldoorn at rugby and as he grew older took to Polocrosse where he represented Zimbabwe in the Veterens section.
- Jenny went to school at Leicester Road Junior school and Jeppe High, both in Johannesburg. She trained as a nurse at Greys Hospital, Pietermaritzburg, where she met Keith while he was at Cedara, She was chairman of the student nurses body. She did Midwifery at the Queen Victoria Hospital in Johannesburg. She spent a year in the U.K. and Europe and worked in Johannesburg before marrying Keith. She worked at the Enkeldoorn Hospital and then ran family planning and well baby clinic inlocation for eight or nine years.
Alexander Kenneth (Ken) 10-7-09 / 2-6-94 x Myra Noble 22-10-09 / 27-12-92
- b1 Brian Alexander 13-2-40 x Anne Francis 2-7-41
- c1 Michelle 10-11-67 x Kevin Stainton
- c2 Josephine
- c3 Henry
- c4 Glen x Lisa Jane
- d1 Harry
- d2 John Oscar
- b2 Keith Raymond 31-7-42 x Jenny ???
- c1 Craig Kenneth 9-3-68 x Paula Sargeant ??? (divorced)
- d1 Tyla Suzanne 6-2-2000
- d2 Connor 1-3-2001
- c2 Felicity Margaret x Marcus Reynolds
- d1 Tristan Callum 3-6-96
- d2 Amelia Jane 29-10-2002
- c1 Craig Kenneth 9-3-68 x Paula Sargeant ??? (divorced)
- Ronald Carruthers Ronald Chancellor x Mary Gilfillan. Born in Fort Victoria, 1st stayed at the Range for a few months. Worked for the Lands Inspectorate Dept. In Enkeldoorn 1968-1971
- Ian Carruthers School: Liebenburg, CJR, Chaplin
- Stuart Carruthers
- Ian Carruthers School: Liebenburg, CJR, Chaplin
Mr. one time bank manager
- Michael Anthony x Sandra Hendrina Kok 1957
- Michael Anthony 1979
- Shaun Douglas 1983
- Winnefred (Wilmina) x Jacob Letterstead Smit 23-9-19 (his 2x) 1 child.
- Anna Elizabeth x Johan Christiaan Kriek 10-9-21 (His x) 5 children.
- Gideon Jacobus x Cecilia Maria Nel
- Magdalena Catharina x Abraham Frederik Stefanus Kriek 4 children.
- Lucia Mathilda x Carl Theodorus Rabe 1c
- Petrus Gerhardus x Susara Maria Sophia Volschenk
- Magdalena Elizabeth 27-3-1891/4-9-72 (not local) x Solomon Ferreira 17-7-1895/27-5-67 5 children.
? x Ann Mary Dorothy Bezuidenhout d.o. Wynand Allen
- Andries 1918 2x Elizabeth Catharina Berkovitch nee Kruger 22-12-16 (her 2x) 0 children.
- Pieter 1869-1961 x Anna Isabella nee ? (11 October 1871-12 August 1946) Settledon Vlakplaas pre 1895
- b1 Gert Chistiaan Johannes (27 July 1878 - 26 November 1960)
- b2 Hendrik Petrus (22 February 1879 - 30 October 1953)
- b3 Pieter Jacobus (30 July 1881 - 8 September 1958) x Jacoba Elizabeth de Wet SEE DEATH NOTICE
- b4 Stephanus Abraham 1881 / 1937 x Engela Elizabeth du Toit They owned Tweelingfontein, sold it to son in law Curran. SE DEATH NOTICE
- b5 Gertruida Wessekia (1891-1975)
- Pieter (1881) (Vlakplaas) donated ground for the Vlakplaas School, built before 1905 Still going by 1946. Day school only, children from distant points boarded with nearby families.
- Dirk Johannes x Johanna Sophia Conradina Smit
- Stefanus Abraham 1-11-21
- Frederik Christoffel x Johanna Cornelia Susanna Brits
- Johannes Hendrik x Jacobus Petrus (woman) Enslin 1911
- Johannes Hendrik 6-6-32
- Wilhelmina Johanna Magdalena 6-1-35
- Johannes Hendrik Petrus x Maria Susanna Margaretha Elizabeth van der Merwe
- Nicolaas Gerhardus Sauer x Magdalena Susanna Gertruida Johanna Steenkamp
- Hendrik Petrus x Johanna Susanna Magdalena Erasmus 1922
- Hendrik Petrus 7-5-40
- Hendrik Petrus (1910 - 78) x Judith Johanna Bouwer 1926
- Judith Johanna 13-1-43
- Anna Isabella 19-2-44
- Christoffel Bouwer 22-6-45
- Nicolaas Everhardus Sauer 1-7-46
- Magaretha Maria Dorothea 1-12-47
- Elizabeth Magdalena 14-12-48
- Hester Martha Aletta 19-1-51
- Jacomina Elizabeth Adriana 23-11-51
- Ryna Magdalena 23-11-52
- Stephanus Abraham 30-10-54
- Hendrik Petrus 1-9-59
- Robert James 28-11-65
- Jacobus Ignatius 1924 x Helena Elizabeth Kruger 1-7-30
- Pieter Jacobus 2-6-51
- Abraham van Wyk x Johanna Adriana Erasmus 1925
- Leuske Maryna 5-8-50
- Gert Christiaan Johannes x Sarah Maria Hamman
- Martin Johan x Elizabeth Wilhelmina Prinsloo
- Elsie Sophia 14-12-55
- Hendrik Petrus x Petronella Christina Drodsky
- Hendrik Petrus 31-7-65
- Stephanus Abraham x Jennifer Ann Powell
- Marie Louise 9-1-78
- Christiaan David 13-8-79
- Andries Johannes Cloete x Louisa Maria Catharina Lamprecht 2 children.
- Janetta Catharina Fredrica x Henry Pieter Enslin 1 child.
- Maria Johanna x Jacobus Johannes Hoffman 1 child.
- Maria Magdalena x Gert Kruger 1 child
- Maggie Margaretha x Essias Reinier van Helsdingen 1 child.
- Elizabeth Magdalena x Robert Henry Frederik Aschman 1911 2 children.
- Engela Elizabeth Helena x Stanley Arthur Curren 4 children.
- Elizabeth Magdalena x Michael Christoffel Steyn 1 child.
- Dawn Babette x Bernardus Hermanus Marais 2 children.
- Johanna Sophia x Gordon Morison Coomer 2 children.
- Myra Elizabeth x Herculaas Solomon Nel 1 child.
- Judith Johanna x Coenraad Christoffel Kloppers 3 children.
- Henrietta x Johan George Wasserman 1 child.
- Elizabeth Helena 1919
- Elizabeth Magdalena 1914
- Louisa Maria Catherina 24-7-1924 / 23-1-1975
Mark a hardware dealer
Charlotte Robertha Maria x Henry Wray 4c
- Family group.
- The Theunis family arrived before 1895
- Hendrik Schalk x Maria Petronella Conradie
- Pieter Johannes 29-8-1878/16-8-1923 x Petrusina Carolina Olivier (from Barclay East)
- Theunis Gert x Claudina Petronella Johanna de Beer
- Theunis Gert 17-7-22 x Jacoba Maria Lamprecht 4-4-27
- Johannes Gerhardus x Louisa Fredrika van Greunen
- Theunis Gert x Glaudina Petronella Johanna de Beer 1 child.
- Hendrik Schalk (11 August 1865 - 16 February 1950) x Maria Petronella Conradie (29 July 1868 - 3 July 1954). Arrived 1909 from Potchefstroom, Transvaal trek, and settled on Riversdale farm where he produced wheat. Hendrik was a big man, exceptionally strong and very bad tempered while Maria was the opposite and very even tempered. Both died on the farm. Hendrik established the Riversdale school. They had 18 children, one died an infant, the last four were born in Rhodesia.
- b1 Christina Johanna (15 May 1886 - 5 June 1914) x Hendrik Andries Gagiano (He 2x Bester) 3 children. They farmed on Kwesfontein A, she died. He sold to Schalk Rinke and left the area.
- b2 Theunis Gert 21 June 1887 - 27 April 1971) x Elizabeth Margaretha (Ousus) Odendaal They farmed on Nuwejaarsfontein, then left area.
- Hendrik Schalk 2-6-10 x Anna Susanna du Toit
- Josua Petrus Cilliers 3-11-11
- Elizabeth Margaretha 27-5-14
- Theunis Gert 27-3-16 (woman) x Ignatius Wilhelmus van Zyl. 1 child.
- Adriaan Erasmus 8-6-19
- Maria Petronella 10-4-22 x Johannes Jacobus Botha. 1 child.
- Christina Johanna 5-12-25 x Johannes Lamprecht. 22-8-22 2 children.
- b3 Hendrik Schalk (Kallie) (1 February1888 - 25 February 1925) x Anna Maria Odendaal. They left the area
- b4 Wynand Willem (twin) (7 June 1890 - 7 January 1970) x Aletta Elizabeth Johanna Dreyer. They farmed on Glenfillen then moved towards Beatrice leaving the area.
- b5 Adriaan Erasmus (twin) (7 June 1890 - 3 June 1917) He did not marry.
- b6 Cathrina Gloudina (4 June1893 - 10 January 1927) x Albertus Frank le Roux. 6 children. They farmed on Bathhurst.
- b7 Martinus Pieter (25 August 1894 - 25 June 1975) x Tjaartina Nicolaasina van der Walt (3 October 1907 - 2000). They farmed on Uitval next to Riversdale.They had two daughters. The daughters attended Riversdale and Liebenberg schools.
- b8 Hendrik Schalk Theunis (Henk) (7 March 1896 - 28 March 1935) x Lydia Magdalena du Toit from Verseilles. They farmed on Tradeau where Henk died.
- b9 Maria Petronella (Miem) (21 September 1897 - 10 November 1962) x Wietske van Zyl. They farmed on Riversdale. 1 child.
- b10 Son died an infant
- b11 Cornelia Johanna (Corrie) (3 May 1902 - 31 August 1955) x Jacob Johannes Rohm. They left the area. 3 children.
- b12 Hester Helena (9 May 1903 - 20 April 1977) x Frederick Johan Dreyer. 5 children.
- b13 Theunis Gert (woman) (26 April 1905 - 11 May 1981) x Willem van Zyl. 4 children.
- b14 Wilhelmina Christina (Baby) 14-11-1907 x Frederik Francois de Vil. 4 children. They farmed on Steenbok.
- b15 Alwyn Petrus (12 January 1910 - 16 June 1964) x Victoria Gloria Fick
- Gloria Coetzee (nee Fick) died (thrown out when car door opened while travelling).
- b16 Martha (14 November 1911 - 5 February 1984) x Rupert Goosen. They left the area.
- b17 Jacobus (Koos) (8 October 1914 - 21 October 1978) x Anna Magdalena Brits 29-4-13
- Hendrik Schalk 17-7-41
- Charles Johannes
- Hendrina Glaudina
- Jacobus inherrited Riversdale but had no desire to use it and sold it in subdivisions to Russel Gardiner, the son in law of his brother Martinus Pieter, (two thirds) and Weitz van Zyl.
- Russel Gardiner subsequently bought van Zyl's share thereby owning the original farm.
- b18 Hendrik Schalk 1915
- Mathian (Matie) x Elsie Petronella van der Merwe 1894.
- Christoffel Bernardus 1918 x Esmie Devine
- Mathian 19-5-21 x Engela Helena Steyn
- Johannes Gerhardus Frederik 22-9-45
- Maria 29-3-25 x Hendrik Bekker
- Benjamin x Hester Petronella van der Merwe
- child 31-3-52
- Benjamen 19-1-29 x Elsie Hendrika Jacoba Lock
- Matie x Elsie van der Merwe arrived 1910, travelling with Elsie's family group who came from Natal. They travelled by train to Umvuma and by oxwagons to the farm and settled on Crystal. Matie was known for his great strength and sense of humour with a love for practical jokes, he was also easily moved to tears when sad or happy. As a Boer Prisoner of War on Hawkins island, part of the Bermuda group, a collegue later told of his escapades of which are recounted, whenever there was a change of guard personnel he would, with their first roll-call parade, on the command "Fall In" run to the nearest point of the see and with gusto fall into the sea, then solemnly declare that he was merely obeying a command. The camp punishment centre was a barbed wire enclosure on the island and Matie had the reputation of being its most frequent inmate, invariably following a prank that discomfitted the authorities.
Matie was an excellent horseman and known to be fearless and often swam in flooded rivers. He refused to bath indoors, doing his ablutions in the nearest river and as he got older he would have a servant squirt water from a hosepipe over him. Servant hose him down behind a hessien screen.
- Anna Elizabeth x Jacob Francois van der Merwe 1c
- Miem Coetzee' x Willem van Zyl
- Johanna Jacomina x Samuel Botha 2c
- Lucia Susanna x Wessel Petrus de Klerk 3 children.
- Claudina Petronella Johana x Nicolaas Johanne Jacobus Combrink 1 child.
- Maria Ellen x Petrus Marais 5 children.
- Elsie Johanna x Stephanus Johannes Brits 2 children.
- Johanna Cecilia x Johannes Jacobus Blignaut 1933 1 child.
- Catharina Johanna x Hendrik Coenraad Steynberg Bronkhorst 2 children.
- Elizabeth Margaretha 1914
- Engela Elizabeth Helena 1917
- Martha Johanna 1918
- Johanna Susanna Sophia 1938
- Daniel Cias x Hester Petronella van der Merwe
Alfred Benjamin 1874 / 20-2-1943 a popular Englishman with no family in the country.
- Nicolaas Johannes Jacobus x Claudina Petronella Johanna Coetzee
- Johan Hendrik 2-2-20
- Frederick Ropes (ex U.K.) 11-6-1870 / 24-5-1950
- Henry Ropes 7-8-10/ 13-7-95 x Olive Hardwick 4-10-1911 / 2-5-1997 Henry previously in the police then owned the Enkeldoorn Hotel. Farmed on Versailles after R. Bosman. They left the area
Doctor in Enkeldoorn
- Susanna Magdalena x Pieter Willem van Graan 1c
- Peter known as Fred 27-12-27 / 13-5-92 x Grace Margaret ?? 8-6-26 / 7-9-97. Public Works employee then established the well known Freds Butchery.
- Daughter x Kevin Paynter,
- Hubert Arthor (B.S.A.P.) 1891 / 9-5-1916
- Jan Hendrik 1888 x ??
- Rev. Arthur Shearly, an Anglican, known as Baba Cripps. He was a well known and revered member of the community. where he served as teacher, preacher and Councillor, ignoring as trivial such matters as Race or Religious beliefs. An outstanding feature of his character as remembered by those who knew him, was his humility. He administered to the regional Mashona and in all activities shared with them at their level. He scorned the easier life that he could have enjoyed and refusing to use transport in any form, regardless of the weather or disamce, visiting the sick and needy..he walked, wherever he had to go He Founded the Maranda Mshawa mission. He was buried in hilly country near the Missopn .where a stone-walled Shrine serves the local Anglican community in the observance of their religious festivals.
- Archibald Stanley 1891/ 3-9-1967 x ? They owned Farm Supplies
- Guybon White Cummings x Isabella Magdalena van Niekerk 12-5-13
- Ethel Cummings x James Wheeler 1894 / 4-7-35 0 children.
- Stanley Arthur x Engela Elizabeth Helena (Betsie) Cloete d.o. Fanie Cloete farmed on Tweelingfontein
- Andries Johannes 2-9-22 x Louisa Maria Catharina Lamprecht 30-7-24 / 23-1-75
- Clive x Anna Christina Dreyer 4-9-38 / 16-12-97
- Perville Dudley 11-6-47
- Ian Arthur x Petronella Francina Lock 30-4-48
- Graham 17-6-70
Clive was better than average at most sports. He was an enthuastic member of the community and active in responsible positions as recorded elsewhere. They had 2 sons and 2 daughters, educated at Liebenberg and Chaplin. Other cildren of Stanley and Betsie left the area.