Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Garran's Book Almanack - South Australia 1855

« Back to Projects Dashboard

SOME OLD LOCAL HISTORY. From Garran's Book Almanack, Interesting Names Recalled. By A. T. Saunders. Re formatted for the ease of linking names for our South Australian "timeline and roll call" projects. The origional book would be most interesting to study.

"Before me is the almanack and general directory for 1855 by Andrew Garran, M.A., whose original name was Gammon, dated at The Register and Observer office, January 20, 1855. The editor mentions that Mr. Whinham furnished the astronomical calculations and Mr. Thomas Moulden, of The Register, compiled the directory, the country portion of which is on a scale never before attempted in the colony."

SOME OLD LOCAL HISTORY. (1925, August 20). The Register (Adelaide, SA : 1901 - 1929), p. 12. Retrieved August 30, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57292438

Mr. Garran, who married a Miss Sabine, a niece of Mrs. T. Q. Stow, had been assistant in Mr. C. G. Feinaigle's short-lived Adelaide High School in the early fifties, and was succeeded in that position by Mr. John L. Young. The book was excellently printed in The Register Office.


The farmers' and gardeners' calendar is comprised in the first 13 pages, which are followed by 17 pages on horticulture in South Australia, which begins:— 'The horticultural capabilities of the soil in South Australia were tested and proved very early in the history of the colony:-

  • George Stevenson, (pioneer) formed a garden in North Adelaide immediately after the town lands were selected, and subsequently formed another garden near Glen Osmond.
  • Mr. J. B. Hack also formed a garden in North Adelaide, but subsequently transferred his labour to a garden he formed at Echunga. Mr. Bailey, formerly with Messrs. Loddiges, of Hackney (London), commenced a Government Botanic Gardens in the park lands on the north side of the Torrens, and afterwards established a nursery garden to the eastward of the town.
  • In 1840 Mr. A. H. Davis commenced planting extensively at Moore Farm in the Reedbeds.
  • About 1840 Mr. Anstey planted a large garden at Highercombe.

A geographical sketch of the colony occupies two pages, in which, it is said that the steamer Sir Henry Young had gone into the Murray via its mouth. No such steamer is in my records, but Cadell promised to call one of the steamers Sir Henry, or Sir Henry Young, and the Melbourne was the boat he was to so re-christen, I think, but it was not done. Twenty-four pages are devoted to the counties and hundreds of the colony and describing their boundaries, and those of the then 31 existing district councils.

Laws, Ordinances, and Military Forces.

The Imperial Acts adopted in the colony, and Colonial Acts and ordinances in force occupy 20 pages, and 100 pages of general information follow, after which are 88 pages of city and country directory, and 38 pages of advertisements. On a blank page at the end of the directory is written, 'Walker's Cottage, near Morpbett Arms, one mile and a half from the Bay. It is considered there is an opening for a school. The cottage is at liberty, and if needed. an additional room will be added.' I do not know who owned this copy, but, the name of Milton written opposite, several Sundays in the calendar. At this time J. Milton was the keeper ot the Government Offices, and the inner square was known as Milton's Paradise.

As the Crimean War had broken out about September, 1854, a military force had been organized in South Australia, and eight pages are devoted to an account of the military establishments and the volunteer force. One company of the 40th Imperial Regiment was in the colony, comprising three sergeants, one drummer, and 66 rank and file, commanded by Edward Moore, Brevet-Major of the 11th, with Capt. F. Blight Lieut. W. Messenger, assistant commissary. Gen. W. H. Maturin, Barrack Sgt. Joseph Clarke.

The barracks were in Weymouth (sic), street, and the commissariat office in Flinders street. Major Moore was also commander of the colonial volunteers;

there were three lieut-Cols.;

  • T. S. O'Halloran
  • Capt. Freeling
  • B. T. Finniss

the adjutants were:-

  • Capt. J. H. Biggs
  • E. A. Delisser.
  • Dr. J. G. Nash was surgeon

staff-sergeants

  • C. Cox
  • E. Roper
  • J. Simmonds

There were two companies of Adelaide artillery

commanded by:-

  • Capt. Robert Hodgson
  • R. R. Torrens, Lieuts. Robert Ramsay,

William Pybus, E. W. Wright, and W. Boothby.

The Torrens company seems to have been the aristocratic company, for in Hodgson's company I only recognise Ptes. B. T. Foale, Charles Goodfellow and James Nottage while in Torrens company are:-

Ptes.

  • E. W. Andrews
  • C. F. Ashwin
  • G. A. Bartlett
  • W. H. Paye
  • W. J. Blackham
  • Ben Boothby
  • C. H. T. Connor
  • W. T. Douglas
  • Fred Hustler
  • Nathaniel Knox
  • Anlay McAulay
  • Robert McMinn
  • William Mair
  • G. W. O'Halloran
  • T. J. S. O'Halloran
  • E. W. Pitts
  • F. J. Sanderson
  • H.H. Turton
  • J. L. Woods
  • Fred Wright

There were two battalions of infantry, each of six companies.

The captains of the first battalion, North Adelaide, Norwood, and South Adelaide, were:-

  • G. C. Mardon
  • W. H. J. Pain
  • William Filgate
  • John Mitchell
  • Samuel Berry
  • William Baldwin

The lieutenants were: —

  • H. F. Leader
  • Charles Franklin
  • George Aldridge
  • H. D. Hilton
  • William Bums
  • Peter Sherwin

The ensigns were:-

  • Joseph Emery
  • C. H. Goode
  • G. E. Williams,
  • William Pearce
  • F. B. Carlin
  • Samuel Allen.

Among the privates were:-

  • Thomas Bastard
  • John Finden
  • Sam Goode
  • Philip Hornabrook
  • Henry Jessop
  • Gordon Mainwaring
  • R. H. Wigg
  • J. Y. Ashton
  • T. W. Bee
  • P. H. Burden
  • W. H. Charnock
  • W. D. Claxton
  • F. W. DeMole
  • Charles Edlin
  • Robert Frew
  • E. W. Gray
  • F. H. Rix,
  • J. Randolph Sabine
  • J. T. Fitch
  • John Lavin
  • G. T. Light
  • Sheppard Mayfield
  • J. T. Shawyer
  • J. H. Sherring
  • R. G. Symonds
  • W. W. Tuxford
  • John Varley
  • Thomas Burgoyne
  • Thomas Futcher
  • F. Hagedorn
  • E. T. Smith
  • William Stratton
  • Redford Clisby
  • W. W. Gall
  • John Lazar
  • W. H. Sharland
  • John H. W. Sprod
  • William Tuxford

The second battalion was composed of six companies — Glenelg Hindmarsh Mitcham and three Port Adelaide companies

The Glenelg Company

  • H. R. Wigley was captain of the Glenelg
  • Lieut. R. B. Colley
  • Ensign W. E. Wigley

and among. the privates were: —

  • T. Breckell
  • C. J. Carleton
  • William Croxall
  • George Dehane
  • James Harvey
  • John McDonald
  • T. E. Monteith
  • Henry Mosely
  • Henry Pennington
  • Henry Skull.

The Hindmarsh Company

commanded the Hindmarsh company:-

  • Capt. Thomas Harrison
  • Lieut. James Diggens
  • Ensign George Roberts

which included Ptes:-

  • Cash Fathercole
  • Ephraim Gould
  • James King
  • Goulbourn Penley
  • John Stuart Sanders
  • George Sanson
  • William Sanson
  • A. E. Varden
  • William Walkley.

The Mitcham company

Comanders:-

  • Capt. Arthur Blyth
  • Lieut. Thomas Reynolds, M.L.C.
  • Ensign Joseph Hayne

included

  • Alexander G. Downer
  • Henry Downer
  • Nicholas Le Feuvre
  • Edward Pocock
  • Henry Pope
  • John Prince
  • William Prince
  • Henry Prince
  • Charles C. Whittel
  • Capt. Edward French
  • Alfred France
  • Henry Todd, (the witty barber)

Lieuts commanded the three Port Adelaide companies:-

  • W. D. Scott
  • James Page
  • Louis Weichard

and Ensigns

  • W. L. Mackie
  • Thomas Calton
  • Alexander Eagle Henderson

among the privates:-

  • Joseph Bowen
  • D. G. Brock
  • Fred Calton
  • E. C. Collisson
  • Thomas Davis
  • W. W. Ewbank
  • William Galway
  • John Germein
  • James D. P Haddy
  • John Haytread
  • George Hewison
  • G. F. Hopkins
  • W. M. S. Hutton
  • William James
  • F. B. Jones
  • J. B. King
  • Corbin Lamb
  • James Malcolm
  • J. G. Malin
  • Thomas Michelmore
  • John Newman
  • John Neill
  • D. W. Scott
  • R. J. Scott
  • J. M. Sinclair
  • Walter Smith
  • John Wald
  • Joseph Acres
  • William Boykett
  • Hugast Buzenberess
  • Stephen Haddy
  • Charles Lipscombe
  • W Lowe
  • T. H. Parker
  • Francis Reynolds
  • George Risley
  • John Sansom
  • John Snoswell
  • George Speering
  • Joseph Stone
  • Charles Sutton
  • G. W. Tinkler
  • David Wald
  • John Wills
  • William Wooldridge
  • Joseph Bailes
  • George Bell
  • John Dewar
  • Albert Godden
  • George Knapp
  • John McGorm
  • W. E. Mattinson
  • David Weman

The cavalry were the Adelaide Mounted Rifle Corps:-

  • Capt E. C. Gwynne, M.L.C.
  • Lieut. John Baker, M.L.C.
  • Cornet Samuel Davenport
  • Surgeon Thomas Taylor

among the privates:-

  • H. Alford
  • H. Bickford
  • W. G. Braund
  • Charles Fenn
  • E. Klingender
  • Edmund Levi
  • Fred Levi
  • Hiram Mildred
  • Price Maurice
  • Henry Noltenius
  • William Paxton
  • H. Peacock
  • C. R. Penfold
  • Charles White.

Uniforms and Assembly Places.

  • The complicated uniforms are described minutely. Infantry privates wore dark blue frock, single breasted, short skirt, dark blue forage cap, black silk stock, dark grey trailers, with red piping; How and where they got this uniform in 1854 puzzles me. The assembly places were Victoria square for South Adelaide, company's bridge (Hackney), for North Adelaide, Thebarton Bridge for Hindmarsh, Bowden, and Thebarton, and for the artillery near the Police Barracks. Shipster's section for Kensington and Norwood, the reserve near the chapel for Mitcham, in front of the Customs house for Port Adelaide, the Government cottage for Glenelg, and the East park lands for the Mounted Rifles.

Municipal.

Adelaide

Mayor of Adelaide

  • J. Hall

Aldermen

  • John Lazar,
  • E. B. W. Glandfield,
  • J. H. Richman.
  • J. Hall

Councillors

  • C. G. E. Platts,
  • John Stewart.
  • W. J. Cox,
  • S. Martin,
  • T. Futcher,
  • A. Hay,
  • John Harman,
  • L. Egan,
  • G. Witt,
  • J. M. Linklater,
  • E. Lawson,
  • W. Field.

There were two assessors for each ward, viz:-

  • T. C. Bray.
  • J. H. Lucking,
  • W. C. Buik,
  • T. Waterhouse,
  • C. Farr.
  • F. R. Rutland
  • W. H. Bagot
  • A. Scott

The auditors were:-

  • Nicholas James
  • John Hector

The officials were: —

  • W. T. Sabben, Town Clerk
  • E. Forest, clerk
  • H. W. Perryman, surveyor
  • G. Francis, valuator
  • Sam. Mason, park ranger
  • J. Goode, slaughter house inspector
  • T. J. Reading, inspector of nuisances
  • W. Jones, inspector of weights and measures
  • T. Monck, messenger

The only other corporation was Kensington and Norwood.

  • Charles Bonney, Mayor

Aldermen,

  • J. V. Ashton
  • George Soward

Councillors

  • George Aldridge
  • George Birrell
  • A. G. Baddiley
  • John Hambidge
  • Alfred Greenway
  • Conrad N. Wornum

The treasurer was:-

  • Samuel Tomkinson

auditors,

  • Arthur Gliddon
  • Lavington Glyde

assessors.

  • George Bruce
  • George Brunskill
  • F. N. Scarfe
  • W. Orchard
  • J. P. Soar
  • A. Spain
  • Philip Fry, collector
  • G. Francis, valuator
  • J. Edlin Moulden, town clerk

The board of undertakers for the Adelaide City and Port Railway were:-

  • George Elder
  • Alfred Watts
  • C. S. Hare
  • John Ellis
  • W. B. Hays

the secretary was:-

  • H. Higginson;

the engineers:-

  • B. H. Babbage
  • W. H. Light.

The Central Road Board consisted of:-

  • Capt Freeling
  • Charles Bonney
  • William Giles
  • B. H. Babbage
  • E. J. F Crawford.

There were several unpaid boards — for Education, Destitute, Trinity, Port Adelaide Harbour Trust, Immigration, Medical, Vaccine, and the Bench of Magistrates.

Banks and Societies.

There were three banks in the colony — the SA. Banking Company, Union Bank, and Bank of Australasia. The Port Adelaide agency at the Union Bank, North Parade, John Vautin manager. seems to have been the only bank in Port Adelaide. The Savings. Bank, was in Exchange Chambers, King William street and the trustees were:-

  • B. T. Finniss
  • F. S. Dutton
  • J. B. Neales
  • W. Wyatt
  • F. H. Faulding
  • A Scott
  • J. M. Linklater
  • A. Hay
  • A. Blyth
  • Macgeorge
  • A. Thomson
  • G. Young.

There were several building societies and local insurance companies, and various other associations and societies

There were six daily mails to and from Port Adelaide and one daily to other suburbs. Simms (W. K.) and Hayter were the principal mail contractors.

Entries for the South Australian St. Legcr. for 1855, 1856, and 1857 are recorded The newspapers were The Register and The Observer, The Times, Weekly Dispatch, the German paper, and The Government Gazette. Fire insurance for brick or stone buildings cost from 6/ to 12/0 for £100.

Business Activities.

  • In the advertisements are those of the Thebarton new flour mill and the mill at Hackney Bridge, Stevens and Coke.
  • William Leaver manufactured hats in Leigh street.
  • T. C. Chubb, of Grenfell street, a connection of the safe manufacturers, was agent for Price's Belmont candles.
  • William Nitschke (vacuum, the greatest force in nature) was a Rundle street coppersmith.
  • F. H. Faulding, established 1845, was a Rundle street druggist.
  • George Dale and A. M Bickford, druggist, of Hindley street.
  • E. A. Wright and his brother S. P H. Wright (afterwards hopgrower, of Tasmania) were Wright Brothers, land agents.
  • George James had the Norfolk Arms, Rundle street.
  • Miller and Lucking, now Miller Anderson, were importing drapers, mercers, haberdashers, and slop sellers, Hindley street.
  • Abraham Abrahams merchant, was at 3 Commercial Buildings, Peel street, near where the Peel street Courthouse (or police station) was.
  • Cowie & Creswell (father of John Creswell) were customs agents, Port Adelaide.
  • Tuxford Brothers, younger brothers of G P. Tuxford, of The Mark Lane Express, London, were importers of Tuxford and Sons and other engines and agricultural machinery.
  • Peter Cumming & Sons were drapers, where the Theatre Royal, Hindley street, now is.
  • Burnett Nathan, draper and slop seller, was between the Victoria Hotel and Bray's shoe warehouse, and was closed on Saturdays.
  • George White (White's Rooms) was a tailor in King William street.
  • John Clark, was a tailor in King William street, (formerly cutter at Roth and Freeman's, Bond street, London) at Prince's Buildings, now the Temperance and General Building. Clark became a politician and a protectionist.
  • John Johnson, tailor, was at the corner of Currie street and Gilbert place.
  • Farmer & Hodgkins, drapers and importers, were then in Hindley street.
  • Nathan and Bastard were drapers North parade, Port Adelaide.
  • Mitchell & Taylor, late McNicol & Young, were importers and drapers, Hindley street.
  • Ernst Kopke was host of the Hamburg Hotel, corner of Rundle street and Gawler place. W. Rounsevell, father of John.
  • W. B. Rounsevell, had his livery and hack stables in Pirie street east since 1845 (if so then W. Rounsevell was not the ex-police sergeant)
  • J. Bray, of the York Hotel (was he not Jaunty Johnny, Sir J. C. Bray), advertises a good wood cut of the York, which till 1849, was Miss Bathgate's boarding house, the 'swell' house of Adelaide, when John Hornabrook got a licence for it.
  • Joseph Donning had the Commercial Inn, Grenfell street, now Brookman's Building.
  • E. B. W. Glandfield, afterwards Mayor of Adelaide, was a Rundle street grocer, immediately opposite Gawler place.
  • Thomas Reynolds (Teapot Tommy, politician, Treasurer, and jam-maker, was drowned in the Gothenburg, February, 1875).
  • Alexander Hay were wholesale and retail grocers, Rundle street.
  • Thomas Graves (subsequently Hay, Graves, & Paxton) was also a Hindley street grocer.
  • Samuel Bakewell, China tea warehouse, was a grocer in Hindley street.
  • William Morgan (late Boord Brothers), was a grocer in Hindley street, afterwards Premier Sir William Morgan.
  • Henry Muirhead, from James Muirhead, Queen Victoria's watchmaker, was at the south-east corner of Hindley street.
  • John Perryman, watch and clock maker to the colonial Government, was in King William street, where the name now is.
  • D. & J. Wald, Commercial road, Port Adelaide, and Sawtell (from Bristol), next to the Port Adelaide Post Office, were watchmakers, and rated chronometers by transit instrument and astronomical clock.
  • E. H. Butler & Co. (from Bedford) were bootmakers, North parade. Port Adelaide.
  • S. Marshall was an organ builder in Currie street.
  • Shepard Mayfield was a cabinet maker in Rundle street.
  • Berry & Gall sold glass and china at 83 Rundle street, where Harris, Scarfe's arcade is.
  • Joshua Gurr sold iron and coal just east of the Bank of Adelaide. Currie street, and made a fortune.
  • R. Marjoram was a gunmaker, two doors east of the Plough and Harrow Rundle street.
  • H. Hanford, late R. Venn, established 1838, was a butcher and ship chandler in Port Adelaide.
  • R. Venn was a butcher and provision merchant in Lipson street, where the father of Messrs. Malcolm and Tom Reid (Mr. J. H. Reid) afterwards carried on the business.
  • R. H. Allen was also a Port Adelaide butcher in 1854
  • Thomas Michelmore was a sailmaker in Commercial road
  • James Grove (father of Mrs. Mortimer Menpes) was a grocer and ironmonger. North parade. Port Adelaide.
  • Dobinson & Brooker were plumbers in Rundle street, near the York Hotel.
  • C. G. Germein was a North parade ship chandler and zinc worker; and David Bower was a timber merchant and builder at St. Vincent street, Port Adelaide, near the church.
  • Walter Smith, adjoining the Mechanics' Institution, Port Adelaide, was also a timber merchant. He bought a prize steam engine from the 1851 exhibition, erected a costly timber factory (part of which still stands) on Tam o' Shanter Creek. Port Adelaide, and was ruined by a fire in November, 1859.
  • English & Brown, successors to R. G. Bowen, were builders at Topham and Weymouth (sic) streets, Adelaide
  • W. H. Hillier was a stationer, at the branch office of The Register, opposite the Exchange Hotel, Hindley street.

See the South Australia, Australia Portalfor all projects related to South Australia, Australia and the Historical Timeline Project to see projects that place persons in time.


This project is included in The History Link Project - Trace your ancesters! you can add projects here