Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Hatfeild Hall - Yorkshire, England

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all 19

Profiles

Hatfeild Hall:

Historical Building of Yorkshire, England

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as; Methley; Wodhall in Metheley; Hatfeild

Image right - Hatfeild Hall 1770's

Image - Courtesy of Valerie Taylor Normanton Golf Club

https://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/87/47/bf/41/5344483ea16ba966/line_blue_original.jpg
//s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/bc/86/0b/17/5344483ebe2f98dc/205_blank_original.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/00/9d/98/76/5344483ec04f3634/wip_yellow_original.jpg//s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/8e/2e/ff/3a/5344483ebe2fbe0e/help_flag_2_original.jpghttps://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/22/ae/22/dd/5344483ea51f33a3/smiley_face_original.jpg

If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to Hatfield Hall please add them to the project.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/87/47/bf/41/5344483ea16ba966/line_blue_original.jpg

Note - The archaic Hatfeild spelling is often retained for this Hall but modern Hatfield spelling is also used.

  • Type of Building: Hatfeild Hall, Stanley has been described as a Fortified Manor House although is doubtful that it was such. (Gatehouse)
  • Condition: There are no visible remains.
  • Location: Wakefield/Stanley, Yorkshire
  • Category: Grade 2
  • Date Listed:
  • Canmore ID-
  • Coordinates Latitude 53.70661° Longitude -1.48415°
  • OS Grid Coordinates: SE34142347
  • When Built: Between 1598-1608
  • Architect:
  • Built for/by: for Gervase Hatfeild and his wife Grace (formerly Grace Savile of Stanley Hall).
  • Owned by:
  • Webpage:

History

Hatfeild Hall was built between 1598 and 1608 for Gervase Hatfeild (eldest son of Henry Hatfield of Wilford, Notts) and his wife Grace (formerly Grace Savile of Stanley Hall, only surviving daughter of Edward Savile of Stanley/Midgley Hall).

There had been a house called Woodhall on the site of Hatfeild Hall long before the Hatfeilds came to Stanley. Woodhall was owned by Robert Fleming in the 14th century, whose estates passed through his daughter, Cicely, the wife of Sir Robert de Waterton, to her son, also called Robert, who was Master of the Horse to Henry the Fourth.

Woodhall came into Savile family in the early 16th century when Thomas Savile married Catherine Chaloner, daughter of John Chaloner who owned it at the time. Their great-grandaughter, Grace Savile, married Gervase Hatfeild; - the present hall takes its name from him. The Hall stayed with the Hatfeilds for almost 300 years, claimed descent from Beda, lord of Hatfeild in Holderness, before the Norman Conquest.


Hatfeild Hall passed from the Hatfeild family in the early 19th century, to the stepson of John Hatfeild-Kaye’s brother, Francis, who had married a widow, a Mrs Harter, of Manchester. Later, John Hatfeild-Kaye’s two surviving sisters, Dorothy and Catherine adopted Mrs Harter’s elder son, John, and he succeeded Dorothy to the estate in 1816.The Harter’s never lived at Hatfeild Hall, choosing to let it to a succession of tenants until it was finally sold to a Wakefield Solicitor, Herbert Beaumont, on 3 November 1897.


When Herbert Beaumont died on January 2nd, 1917, his daughter and son sold Hatfeild Hall to the West Riding Asylums Board in October, 1920, and the Hall became a hospital for 50 mentally - handicapped women. The Hall remained hospital property for the next 65 years until it was sold to a local wine bar owner in 1985. The Hall was destroyed by fire in the early hours of new years day, 1987. Only part of the shell of the building was saved, but in recent years it has been restored and is now owned by Normanton Golf Club. The building is now used for private functions with a club house to the rear of the building.

Timeline

14th century

(Woodhall)

16th Century

(Woodhall)

  • John Chaloner
  • Thomas Savile - married to Catherine Chaloner his daughter
  • Their great grand daughter Grace Savile, married Gervase Hatfeild
  • Grace's claim to Stanley Hall threatened by Grace’s great-uncle, George Savile of Haselden Hall, who produced a document which showed that the estate was entailed only the male heirs of the Savile line. The dispute was referred to Sir John Savile of Howley and Gervase Nevile of Chevet, who decided in favour of George Savile.

18th Century

19th Century

  • The stepson of John Hatfeild-Kaye’s brother, Francis, who had married a widow, a Mrs Harter, of Manchester.
  • John Hatfeild-Kaye’s two surviving sisters, Dorothy and Catherine adopted Mrs Harter’s elder son, John, and he succeeded Dorothy to the estate in 1816.
  • After 1816, the house was let to, amongst others, Fenton the coal master who probably built the colliery on the south western boundary, the spoil heaps of which still exist.
  • John Hatfeild (Harter)
  • James Collier Harter
  • 3 November 1897 - Wakefield Solicitor, Herbert Beaumont, bought Hatfeild Hall plus the state of about 80 acres for £3750 from the Hatfeild Harter family who had not lived there for many years.
  • The house was then tenanted by Stephen West, a barrister whose lease was shortly to expire.
  • When West’s tenancy expired in 1899, the Wakefield architect, William Watson (Grandfather of Eustace Watson) was employed to renovate the house, including a central heating system, electric light with its own generator and storage cells and a telephone.

20th Century

  • 1901 Census - Herbert Beaumoint Head with his father (George), mother (Sarah Ann) and 2 children (Gerald and Florence)
  • Nigel Beaumont, son of Stephen Beaumont (1910 - 1997) grew up as a boy at Hatfeild Hall.
  • Herbert Beaumoint (1850-1917) died at Hatfeild Hall
  • Gerald Beaumont sold Hatfieild Hall after his return from WW1
  • Sold to the West Riding Asylums Board in October, 1920,
  • Sold to a local wine bar owner in 1985.
  • Destroyed by fire in the early hours of new years day, 1987

21st Century

  • 2010 - Restored and is now owned by Normanton Golf Club.

References Found

People Associated with Hatfeild Hall

in chronological order

Sources, References and Further Reading

Related Publications

Getting Involved

Feel free to follow, request to collaborate

 

To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.

Visit

Geni's Project Plaza
Working with Projects
Wicked Wiki
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/87/47/bf/41/5344483ea16ba966/line_blue_original.jpg
//s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/bc/86/0b/17/5344483ebe2f98dc/205_blank_original.jpg this project is in History Link 
https://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/43/69/79/0c/5344483e65ec5d9e/historylink_logo_really_small_t.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/87/47/bf/41/5344483ea16ba966/line_blue_original.jpg