Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families from Rogasen and Rogozno in Oborniki, Poland

« Back to Projects Dashboard

view all 103

Profiles

  • Isaac Schocken (1838 - 1924)
    Ich moechte unseren geliebten Vater einen Nachruf widmen. Moechte sagen, wie hoch wir ihn geschaezt haben als Mensch und als Vater, und da kann ich kein besseres Wort finden als das: Er war ein fromm...
  • Josef Moritz Lewin (1877 - 1961)
    in 1938 lived at Bahnhofstr 43 in Plauen
  • Rabbi Shimon Halevi A.B.D. Rogozno and Kalish (b. - 1845)
    1913--1996- The Eger Family Association- pg. 8 Author of Shaar Shimon שער שמעון and Chiddushei Reb Shimon Halevi חידושי ר' שמעון הלוי .
  • Julia Glassman (c.1835 - 1915)
    Ellis Island Passenger ID 9012162227066 Name: Julie Glassemann Arrival Date: 21 Mar 1865 Birth Date: abt 1835 Age: 30 Gender: Female Ethnicity/ Nationality: German Place of Origin: Germany Port of De...
  • Jacob Glassman (c.1834 - 1918)
    Possible match: Name: Jacob Glassmann [Jacob Glasman] Gender: Male Birth Date: 22 Jan 1832 Birth Place: Tarnow Birth Registration Date: 1832 Father's name: Löb Glasman Mother's name: Marjam Film: 74270...

This project seeks to identify and collect Jewish individuals and family from the town of Rogasen or Rogozno in the area of Rogozno, 40 km North of Posen in the former Grand Duchy of Posen area.

A settlement called Roguezno was mentioned as early as in 1192. It was granted town privileges in 1280. King Przemysł II was murdered in Roguezno in 1296 due to the actions of Brandenburgian margraves. An organized Jewish community existed here in 1569.

The town was one of the largest drapery centers in Greater Poland in the 18th century. A town called Nowe Miasto was established near Roguezno in 1750. Roguezno belonged to the Prussian partition from 1793. A year later, the town was merged with Nowe Miasto and the German name for the new town was Rogasen.

The town was incorporated into the Duchy of Warsaw in 1807 and eight years later to Prussia. Inhabitants of Rogasen took part in Greater Poland Uprising in 1919. The Germans captured the town at the beginning of the Second World War, in September 1939. They also pulled down the synagogue in the same month. Source

Old Jewish cemetery in Rogoźno was established at the end of the 16th century. It was devastated by the Germans during the Second World War. The tombstones were used to pave the streets around the New Market. After the war, town authorities gave permission for covering these streets with asphalt but the tombstones had not been removed from the surface before. There are no tombstones in the cemetery area of 1.5 hectares. There exists only some debris of a burial house.

New Jewish cemetery in Rogoźno was established in the 19th century. It was devastated by the Germans during the Second World War. After the war, town authorities gave permission for destroying the cemetery completely. Some broken tombstones can be found in the local museum. Source

In Edward David Luft's book, The Naturalized Jews of the Grand Duchy of Posen in 1834 and 1835, Revised Edition, there are 55 people listed as having achieved citizenship in the town of Rogasen. These included Rothholz, Caro, Chodziesen, Edelstein, Ehrenwerth, Eisen family names. No Haase or Knobloch individuals are listed. The town of Rogasen was included in the County of Obornik along with the towns of Murowana Goślin (44 people listed), Ryczywol (24) and Obornik itself(13).

Jewish Records Indexing project JRI-Poland lists two microfilms that are being transcribed, Film #752799 and 752800.

International Jewish Cemetery Project: Alternate names: Rogoźno [Pol], Rogasen [Ger], Rogozhin [Yid], Rogóźno Wielkopolskie. 52°45' N, 17°01' E, 23 miles N of Poznań (Posen). 1900 Jewish population: 834. This town in Greater Poland Voivodeship with a 2006 population is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Rogoźno in Oborniki powiat. Apart from the town of Rogoźno, Gmina Rogoźno contains the villages and settlements of Budziszewko, Cieśle, Dziewcza Struga, Garbatka, Gościejewo, Grudna, Jaracz, Józefinowo, Karolewo, Kaziopole, Laskowo, Marlewo, Międzylesie, Nienawiszcz, Nowy Młyn, Olszyna, Owczegłowy, Owieczki, Parkowo, Pruśce, Ruda, Sierniki, Słomowo, Stare, Studzieniec, Szczytno, Tarnowo, Wełna, Wojciechowo and Żołędzin. [June 2009] Normal 0 OLD CEMETERY: Established probably in the second half of the 16th century on forest land of about 1.5 hectares. [June 2009] NEW CEMETERY: Probably established in the 19th century and destroyed during the WWII when the Germans took gravestones were street construction, only ruins of the beit tahara remain. Some matzevot were found and stored in the local Museum Wojciecha Dutkiewicza at Placu Karola Marcinkowskiego l. Several old padlocks remain from the cemetery. photos. [June 2009] US Commission No. POCE000412 Rogasen is the German name of town. Rogozno is in Pila region at 52º45N 17º00E, 35 km. from Poznan. Cemetery: Lesna St. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews. Local: Urzad Gminy w Rogozine and mgr. Roman Chraliszewski, Wojewodzki. Konserwator Zabytkow, 64-920 Pila, ul. Tczewska 1, tel. 223-88. Regional: Panstwowa Sturba Ochrany Zabythkow, Oddriat w Pile, mgr. Barbara Luczynska, solves j.w. Information: mgr. Marek Fijatkowski, Muzeum Okregowe, 64-920 Pila, ul. Chopina 1, tel. 271-37. The earliest known Jewish community was 1569. The unlandmarked cemetery was established end of the sixteenth century. The community was Progressive/Reform. The isolated urban crown of a hill called Gorka Zydowska (Jewish Hill) has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 1.512 OR .1512 ha. No stones are visible. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. Rarely, local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is a gravedigger's house. Weather erosion, vegetation, and vandalism are slight threats. inz. Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on August 30, 1991 using "Karta Cmentarza". The site was not visited. Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2009 11:12. Accessed May 9, 2017.