Lanarkshire Main Page
Historic County of Scotland
This is the Umbrella project for Lanarkshire
Still to come
Lanarkshire Genealogical Resources
- Administrative centre/County Town
- Lanark (historic)
- Hamilton (modern)
- Chapman County Code - LKS
- Gaelic Name Siorrachd Lannraig
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Area 2,325 Sq. km (898 sq. miles)
- Succeeded by North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire.
- County Flower -
Lanarkshire or the County of Lanarkis a Lieutenancy area, registration county and former local government county in the central Lowlands of Scotland. It was bounded to the north by Stirlingshire and a detached portion of Dunbartonshire, to the north east by Stirlingshire, West Lothian, to the east by Peeblesshire, to the south east and south by Dumfriesshire, to the south west by Dumfriesshire and Ayrshire and to the west by Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Dunbartonshire.
In 1975, the county council was abolished and the area absorbed into the larger Strathclyde region, which itself was divided into new Council Areas in 1996. The old area of Lanarkshire is now mainly occupied by the council areas of North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire.
Parishes of Lanarkshire
- Barony ( Glasgow )
- Blantyre, South Lanarkshire
- Carmichael, South Lanarkshire
- Crawford, South Lanarkshire
- Coulter, South Lanarkshire
- Douglas, South Lanarkshire
- Hamilton, South Lanarkshire
- East Kilbride
- New Monkland Airdrie, North Lanarkshire
- Old Monkland
- Stonehouse, South Lanarkshire
- Symington, South Lanarkshire
- Wiston, South Lanarkshire and Roberton, Lanarkshire
- North Medwin River
- South Medwin River
- River Clyde
- River Avon
- South Calder Water
If you have Lanarkshire connections please join the project.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Resources and Related web pages