About Military history of Britain project
The aim of this project is to collect profiles from everyone who was part of the British military trough history and to share a common interest in UK military matters. This project will also function as an umbrella project for other UK military projects on Geni. Please do not hesitate to build this project with us by adding information and profiles and or editing the existing project.
What can you do here?
- Ask questions.
- Collaborate on your research.
- Share knowledge you have gained as you've done your own research in a specific area.
- Start your own related project.
- Add your profiles.
- Start or take part in a discussion.
As the United Kingdom was not formed till 1707 we speak of the military history of the United Kingdom but also about the military history of England (before 1707)
- A separate project has been created for The military history of Scotland and is linked to the UK Portal Scotland
- The Military history of Ireland will be added to the Irish portal in time
- The British Armycame into being with the merger of the Scottish Army and the English Army, following the Acts of Union 1707.
- The Royal NavyThe History of the Royal Navy can be traced back to before the ninth century AD. However, the present Royal Navy was formally created as the national naval force of the Kingdom of England in 1660, following the Restoration of King Charles II to the throne. In 1707 it became the naval force of the Kingdom of Great Britain after the Union between England and Scotland which merged the English Navy with the much smaller Royal Scots Navy, although the two had begun operating together from the time of the Union of the Crowns in 1603.
- Corps Royal MarinesThe Corps of Royal Marines, the infantry land fighting element of the United Kingdom's Royal Navy, was formed as part of the Naval Service in 1755. However, it can trace its origins back as far as 1664, when English soldiers first went to sea to fight the Dutch.
- Royal Air ForceThe RAF was founded in 1918, toward the end of World War I by merging the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service
List of wars involving Great Britain
Famous English military commanders profiles on Geni
- Edward 1 of England
- Edward III of England
- Edward de Black Prince
- Henry V of England
- Henry VII
- Oliver Cromwell
- John Byron 1st Baron Byron
- William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke
- Horatio Nelson ,1st Viscount Nelson
- Sir Henry Clinton
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
- Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount Hood
- Life Guards First troop created 1658
- Royal Horse Guards founded August 1650
- The Royal Dragoons formed 1661
- 1st Queen's Dragoon Guards
- The Fusiliers
- 93rd Regiment of Foot
- Royal East Kent Regiment The Buffs
- The Royal Artillery
- World War 1 wall of honour
- British concentration camps of the South African war 1900-1902
- Victoria Cross holders