Moonshine (also known as)
Hooch, White Lightning, Panther's Breath, Panther's P---, Mountain Dew, Kickapoo, Happy Sally, Ruckus Juice, Joy Juice, Hillbilly Pop, Skull Cracker, Bush Wisky, Stump, Mule Kick, Catdaddy, Cool Water, Old Horsey, Rot Gut, Wildcat, Rise and Shine and Splo
Beer, Ethanol and Whiskey are all created from the same process, but occur at different stages of the process
Did you know
Before the alcohol distilling process was illegal, George Washington (General and President) hired James Anderson to manage the Plantation at Mount Vernon.
On January 1st, 1797, James Anderson began his duties and later shared thoughts of creating a Distillery on the the grounds of the Mount Vernon Estate with George Washington.
James Anderson had prior experience as a Distiller of Alcohol in Scotland. He managed a Distillery, prior to the Mount Vernon site, at Salvington Plantation.
After Martha Washington's death, James Anderson went to work at White House Plantation for George Washington Parke Custis (Martha's grandson)
History in America
- You could say Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton started the rucus with the Excise Tax Act of 1791 in an effort to raise money to be used toward the War. This tax demanded 7 cents per gallon of alcohol and the registration of all stills. (http://www.happymountain.net/disgraceful%20history.html)
- The U.S. Senate proposes the 18th Amendment 12/18/1917. Ratified 1/16/1919 and effected into law 1/16/1920
- The Wartime Prohibition Act took effect 6/30/1919 (a.k.a. "Thirsty Act" Ratified under the premise of saving/ rationing grain for the War effort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States). This Law contradicted a world culture of whiskey production methods that date back possibly as early as the 2nd millenium BC.
- The earliest certain evidence of alcohol distillation is in Italy in the 13th century Whiskey
Moonshining activities occured in other Regions of America than the Appalachians, but this is the area most well known. (http://www.moonshiner28.com/moonshiner28_history.html)
include but not limited to:
Did NASCAR get its start from Bootlegging?
Fact or fantasy, you decide:
- [http://www.cio.com/article/17142/A_Brief_History_of_Nascar_From_Moonshine_Runners_to_Dale_Earnhardt_Jr. A brief history of NASCAR]
- Bootlegging Roots