Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Muscatine County, Iowa

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

  • Berniece Evealena Hines (1908 - 1908)
  • John Franklin "Frank" Hines (1867 - 1930)
    FRANK HINES OF WEST LIBERTY IS TAKEN IN DEATH West Liberty, Ia., Feb. 10--Frank Hines, 63, died at 2 a.m. Sunday, following an illness of more than a year's duration. Mr. Hines was born Oct. 15, 1866 ...
  • Barbara Eveline Hines (1842 - 1913)
    West Liberty Woman Succumbs at Early Hour Today West Liberty, Iowa -- July 11 Mrs. Jacob Hines, a well-known resident of this place, passed away suddenly at her home early this morning. Her death was...
  • Joseph Leroy Dubois (1896 - 1897)
  • Laura Dell Begey (1891 - 1980)

Please add profiles for those who were born, lived or died in Muscatine County, Iowa.

Wikipedia

History

Muscatine County was formed in December 1836 as a part of Wisconsin Territory. One history suggests that the county was named for Muscatine Island in the Mississippi River. The island lies opposite Muscatine County and was believed to be named after the Mascouten tribe, Algonquian-speaking Native Americans who lived in the area before being driven west by settler encroachment and other tribes.

Colonel George Davenport of Illinois sent three representatives into the territory in 1833 to establish a trade post. They were the first European Americans to settle there. In the same year, James W. Casey and John Vanatta came to the area. They opened a supply depot for steamboats on June 1, 1833, and named it Casey's Woodpile (since steamboats used wood as fuel). Muscatine County officially became a part of Iowa Territory on July 4, 1836, when Iowa Territory was established by partitioning off this area from Wisconsin Territory. The first public land sale was held in November 1838. One year later, officials began construction of the first courthouse and associated jail. A second jail, known as the "Old Jail", was built in 1857.

The first courthouse was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1864. By 1866 a new replacement stood at the same site. The present courthouse was built in the twentieth century, being first used on September 26, 1907.

Adjacent Counties

Cities, Townships & Communities

Ardon | Atalissa | Bloomington | Blue Grass (part) | Cedar | Conesville | Cranston | Durant (part) | Fairport | Fruitland | Fulton | Goshen | Hinkeyville | Kent Estates | Lake | Midway Beach | Montpelier | Moscow | Muscatine (County Seat) | Nichols | Orono | Petersburg | Pike | Port Allen | Seventy-Six | Stockton | Sweetland | Walcott (part) | Wapsinonoc | West Liberty | Wilton

Links

Wikipedia

IA GenWeb

Nat'l Reg. of Hist. Places