This project is for people who have tested and been assigned the paternal haplogroup R-U106 (Y-DNA) and also for people who are believed to have been this paternal haplogroup based on tests done on descendants.
The current naming convention is to use the terminal SNP, so R1b, U106* Also known as R1b1b2a1a (S21+), previously known as R1b1b2a
From http://www.genebase.com/learning/article/11 The R1b1b2a1 (S21+) is a prominent R1b subclade and is likely the major subclade in resolving identity after the R1b1b2 (M269+) subclade.
from the ISOGG R chart
• • • • R1b1a P297/PF6398, L320
• • • • • R1b1a* -
• • • • • R1b1a1 M73, M478
• • • • • R1b1a2 CTS8728/L1063/PF6480/S13, L265/PF6431, M269, M520/PF6410, PF6475/S17/YSC0000269, PF6485/S3, PF6399/S10
• • • • • • R1b1a2* -
• • • • • • R1b1a2a L23/PF6534/S141, L49.1/S349, L150.1/PF6274.1/S351.1
• • • • • • • R1b1a2a* -
• • • • • • • R1b1a2a1 L51/M412/PF6536/S167
• • • • • • • • R1b1a2a1* -
• • • • • • • • R1b1a2a1a L11/PF6539/S127, L52/PF6541, L151/PF6542, P310/PF6546/S129, P311/PF6545/S128
• • • • • • • • • R1b1a2a1a* -
• • • • • • • • • R1b1a2a1a1 M405/S21/U106
From http://www.genebase.com/learning/article/11 "R1b1b2a1a (S21+), previously known as R1b1b2a Unusually short DYS458 alleles (DYS458.2) are associated with R1b1b2a1 (S21, aka M405). Cases of this allele have so far been detected in Ireland, England, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.S. (1-5%) and this appears to a unique west European marker. The DYS458.2 allele also occurs independently in the Y-chromosome J1 subclade. "
Also see http://www.disnorge.no/cms/r1b For subclades
Probably Germanic tribes, Frisians, Anglo-Saxons
From http://www.genebase.com/learning/article/11 "....frequency is highest in the Dutch (35%) and it is also rather high in England, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Czech Republic and Switzerland (13-23%). This region overlaps origins of Germanic groups, such as the Anglo-Saxons in Frisia. It does not appear to have extended its reach beyond West and Central Europe (except recent migration to the USA)"
This map is for S21 just upstream from s21+ http://www.eupedia.com/images/content/Haplogroup-R1b-S21.gif Also in this article with the R-U106 subclasses shown http://www.familytreedna.com/public/U106/
Subclades of R
- R - R-M207/UTY2
- R1a1a - R-M17
- R1b - R-M3431
- R1b1a2 - R-M269
- R1b1a2a1a1 - R-L11/S127/P310
- R1b1c - R-V88
- R1b1a2 - R-M269
- Robert the Strong, Marquis of Neustria (820-866)
- Henri IV, King of France (1553-1610)
- Louis XVI, King of France (1754-1793)
- Malcolm Gladwell
Update October 9, 2013: Using DNA samples from three living members of the House of Bourbon, a new study shows the family belonged to R-Z381* (a subgroup of R-106), not G2a. See Dienekes Anthropology Blog, House of Bourbon belonged to Y-haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1b* (R-Z381*), Oct. 9, 2013.
How to Participate
To participate in this project, join or follow the project, then add your oldest known ancestor who belonged to this haplogroup. The profile must be public in order to add it.