Roxburghshire Main Page
Historic County of Scotland
This is the Umbrella project for Roxburghshire
Still to come
Roxburghshire Genealogical Resources
- Administrative centre Jedburgh. Roxburghshire was named after the Royal Burgh of Roxburgh. The ancient royal burgh of Roxburgh had fallen into decay by the fifteenth century.
- Chapman County Code - ROX
- Gaelic Name Siorrachd Rosbroig
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Hermitage Castle - A vast and eerie ruin of the 14th and 15th centuries, Hermitage is associated with the de Soulis, the Douglases and Mary Queen of Scots.
- Area 1,722 sq. km (665 sq mi)
- Succeeded by Now part of Borders
- County Flower -
Roxburghshire is a registration county of Scotland. Roxburghshire borders Dumfriesshire to the west, Selkirkshire to the north-west, and Berwickshire to the north. To the south-east it borders Cumbria and Northumberland in England. It covers the ancient districts of Teviotdale and Liddisdale, named after the rivers Teviot and Liddal, which run through them.
Roxburghshire civil districts:
- Jedburgh, Royal burgh
- Kelso, market town
- Melrose, market town
- Hawick, market town
The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 created the new Borders Region. Borders was divided into four districts, one of which was named Roxburgh.
Roxburgh District Council area consisted of the superseded council area less the Melrose area (which was included in Ettrick and Lauderdale District), plus the parish of Nenthorn from Berwickshire.
The regional and four district councils were superseded in 1996, by merging to form the present Scottish Borders council area.
Roxburghshire is now within the Scottish Borders council area.
To see this map full size click go to https://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/5c/62/a7/86/5344483b40f7c812/parishes_rozburghshire_original.jpg and use the magnifier if necessary.
For more information and links to individual parishes go to the Roxburghshire Parish Map at Borders Family History Society
- Southdean & Abbotrule
- St Boswells
- Newtown St Boswells,
- Nisbet (East and West),
If you have Roxburghshire connections please join the project.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!