Aim and Scope
- To list interesting South African Historic Sites, Monuments, Schools, Battlegrounds etc.
- To record a little history of the site, the year it was started, after who it was named and if names have changed.
- To link the sites to individuals on our GENi family tree.
- Please don't add Cities and Towns, they have a project on their own. For that purpose go to:
Early Portuguese seafarers named Africa’s southernmost tip Cabo das Agulhas, translating to “Cape of Needles.” Why is still debated. The one explanation springing most obviously to mind would certainly be that the pointed reefs off the shore were likened to needles by passing sailors. But then an interesting fact comes to light, viz that at Cape Agulhas compass needles do not show the usual deviation between true north and magnetic north. The ancient mariners might have named the cape in honour of that phenomenon. The truth shall probably never be known, but that does nothing to the fact that the Agulhas coast is one of the best fishing grounds around. The town of Agulhas is a cluster of holiday cottages and accommodation for tourists who visit the spot where “Two Oceans Meet”. In itself it is a pretty enough village but inevitably becoming very commercial. The Agulhas Lighthouse is the second oldest in South Africa. It was built in 1848 and became operative on 1 March 1849. On a clear night the beam purportedly could be seen for 30 sea miles (approximately 60 kilometres).
Gamkaskloof is a legendary and remote valley situated in the heart of the Swartberg mountains, approximately 100 kilometers from Oudtshoorn in South Africa, also known as "Die Hel" and is surrounded by the Swartberg Nature Reserve.
Waterberg NG Gemeente
Die Bosveldgedeelte van die NG gemeente Waterberg-Noord in 1944 uit drie voorgestelde name Albertyn kies as die naam van die gemeentes wat op die afstigtingsvergadering op 14 Oktober 1944 op Hoornbosch in die huidige provinsie Limpopo gestig is.Die gemeente is vernoem na Dr. Johannes Rudolph Albertyn Jnr.
- Dr Johannes Rudolph Albertyn Jnr. 1878-1967
JUMP BACK TO:
How to Participate
- Get yourself added as a collaborator
- Navigate to your ancestor's profile
- Under the "More Actions" link choose "Add to Project"
- Select the South African Historic sites and Monuments project
See also the following GENi projects