The Children's Friend Society Ships
See Main Project Page - The Children's Friend Society
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
On 11 May 1833 the ship Charles Kerr cast anchor in Table Bay after a three-month voyage from Cowes, England carrying human cargo twenty boys sent out by the Children’s Friend Society and destined for employment in the Colony.
Ship No. 01.
Captain Brodie. Departed from Cowes for Cape Town on 21 January 1833❉ and arrived at Cape Town on 11 May 1833.
❉ Dates under query 1835 is given in Geoff Blackburn's book "The Children's Friend Society"
[Listed in this order - Apprentice, in what capacity to Master]
Master South African List are marked ✔
- Charles Adshade Alias Hatchett as a Cooper to Thomas Matthew ✔
- Berry, John as House Servant to John Murray ✔
- Bolter, John as a Gardener to Joseph Upjohn ✔
KAB MOOC 6/9/321 - Death Notice John Bolter
- Clarke, Alfred as House Servant & Gardener to C.W.Lutterman ✔
- Donovan, Dennis as House Servant & Groom to L. Amstong ✔
- George as a Gardener to Edward George ✔
- Golding, Daniel as a Store Clerk & Storekeeper to William Dickson ✔
- Gorman, Edward as a Sailmaker to William Hutchons ✔
KAB MOOC 1/2/1/43 - 4 Record of proceedings of criminal case. Circuit Court, Alice. The Queen versus Thomas Hart and Edward Gorman, Theft - 1849
- Grimes, Robert as House Servant & Gardener to Rev.James Edgar ✔
- Hague, William Alias Hake as Gardener & House Servant P.B.Bocherds ✔
- Jones, Wm. alias John Parker as House Servant to Willian Thompson ✔
- Keef, Daniel as a House and Store Servant to R.J.Jones ✔
- McGrath, Paul as Groom & House Servant to Sir John Wylde ✔
- Murray, Morris Edward as a Tinsmith to Joseph Lawton ✔
- Pelteret George as a House Servant to R.W.Eaton ✔
- Porter, John as a Tailor to Edward Holl ✔
- Rahtert, Charles F as a Cook & Confectioner to John Saunders ✔
- Roberts, William as a Blacksmith & Wheelwright to J.M.Spangenburg ✔
- Schnebelie, Isaac alias G.Wilson as a butcher to J.Johnstone ✔
There is an Isaac Schnebbelie baptised on 2 September 1812 at Chatham, Kent by Jacob Schnebbelie and his wife Sarah. "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NBRY-KQ4 :
- Webb, John as a Farmer to Frederick Duckett ✔
Voyage of the Charles Kerr
Page 265 of Geoff Blackburn's book "The Children's Friend Society"
Per Ship "Charles Kerr", Captain Brodie, for Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, January 23, 1835
Apprentices listed the same as for the list at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SOUTH-AFRICA/2001-05/0990088547
Additional Reference The Children's Friend Society - Juvenile Emigrants to Western Australia, South Africa and Canada 1834 - 1842 by Geoff Blackburn. This book can be obtained from Access Press, P.O. Box 132, Northbridge, Western Australia.