Scope of Project
To build a single, validated and documented shared family tree for the Butler family, from earlier origins to near modern times.
Genealogical Notes for Discussion
- For more information about Geni Projects, see the Geni Wiki Projects Page.
- If you would like to contribute to this page, please contact the Project Manager or one of the Project Collaborators. Click here for instructions about using Wiki markup language.
Join the discussion
tags are based on the categorization schema in Wikipedia
- For more about resourcing and a listing of general genealogical resources, see http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Resources
The Geni Master Profile
- See http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Naming_Conventions for notes on historical periods that may be within scope but not covered below.
Make sure the name fields of the Master Profiles include first name, middle name, last name, maiden name if known, otherwise blank, suffix for Sr., Jr., etc. In the display name field only add titles such as Gov. or Dr. preceding.
FN Willaim MN (blank) LN Brewster MN (blank) Suffix lll Display name is "Elder" William Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger
The United States did not exist until 1789 and the United Kingdom was formed in 1707. Please be careful about using autocomplete. It is better to use the "place" field and type out the place name. Use place names such as England and Massachusetts and spell out the country name with historical accuracy.
Colonial America: Nantucket, Massachusetts
It makes it easier to read a profile if the "about me" information is filled out in this fashion:
- (vitals, summary)
- example profile: Stephen Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger
- Future releases of the Geni Project module will create a dynamic library of downloadable media for profiles associated with the Project.
-- The media tab of the MP should be used for documentation files. Websites, biographies, census reports, image files -- the richer we make the profile, the more historically and genealogically accurate and meaningful it will be.
-- Adding a source validates the MP, and creates a "timeline" for each life represented by a profile. The more information we add, the more detailed and accurate.
-- Original source data includes: birth certificates, census reports, immigration records, ship rosters, obituaries, marriage licenses ....
- For more about sources, please see http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Sources