Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 49 posts
Private User
6/6/2012 at 6:29 AM

Love it !!

6/6/2012 at 10:00 AM

En mycket vacker skapelse!!

6/7/2012 at 1:49 PM

As long as you know that there are few people that are able to trace their ancestry back to king Harald. Almost every line of his descendants stops between the years 1200 and 1500.

And further back in time, you are not able to get more than a few generations before you are into hearsay and fairytales.

Most norwegians are probably a descendant of king Harald, but almost noone are able to trace a line back to him with enough accuracy using good and trustworthy sources.

6/7/2012 at 2:33 PM

Some of the lines may not be accurate, but their seem to be so many that some of them may be true, beyond the King of Sweeden, but it is still interesting to see what is listed in GENI's data base and it does not take long at all to trace them back.

Private User
6/7/2012 at 3:26 PM

Was it Abraham Lincoln that said -- You can fool All of the people Some of the time; and Some of the people All of the time.
But (thank goodness) you can't fool All of the people All of the time.
Just because a Lot of people do something does not mean that what they are doing is right -- or even good....

If you truly Want to be connected to fairy tales -- then do so...just don't try to call it good genealogical sources.

6/7/2012 at 5:18 PM

love larger boat

6/7/2012 at 8:59 PM

Let's talk specifics rather than generalities.

Many British, Americans & Canadians, as well as many Scandinavians are descendants of Walter Stewart, the 6th High Steward of Scotland, and ancestor of the Stewart / Stuart kings.

Geni shows Walter Stewart as a descendant of Harald Fairhair as follows:

http://www.geni.com/path/Walter+Stewart+6th+High+Steward+of+Scotlan...

Where do you think this lines breaks? As we discuss these lines and raise doubts, it would be helpful to simultaneously correct the information on Geni.

6/8/2012 at 3:10 AM

The first problem on that line comes with Ragnfred and his alleged daughter that supposedly married Harald the Black.

There is only one source for this information and that is G. V. C. Youngs book "Fra Skanke-slektens historie" (From the history of the Skanke-family).

Young also has in his work "The History of the Isle of Man under the Norse", (or "Now through a glass darkly"), on page 41 claimed that Erics son Godfred is the father of Harald the Black.

In "Fragments of an old Norwegian saga", translated by P. A. Munch, there is more inforamtion: Godred (Gudrød) may have survived his brothers as there is no account of his death but of all the deaths of his brothers Gamle, Godorm(Guttorm), Harald Graafeld, Halvdan, Eivind, Erling, Sigurd Sleva, Ragnfred and Gorm. (Source:"Samlinger til det Norske Folks Sprog og Historie", volume 2, Christiania,1834. Article by P.A.Munch, page 273-335.)

(My sources is basically: http://groups.google.com/group/soc.genealogy.medieval/browse_thread... )

So I don't believe there was a daughter of Ragnfred that got married to Harald the Black and fathered Godfred "Crovan".

In my opinion the possible wife of Harald the Black and mother of Godfred "Crovan" is unknown, and that makes her ancestry unknown, too. The link between Wife of Harald the Black (her name should be changed to nn NN) and Ragnfred of Norge, c. 923 should be severed since there really are no sources that collaborate this link.

6/8/2012 at 3:28 AM

And by the way, there are only two children after http://www.geni.com/people/Harald-I-Halvdansson-%C2%ABFairhair%C2%B... that are almost certain, and they are: http://www.geni.com/people/Eirik-I-Haraldsson-%C2%ABBlood-axe%C2%BB... as probably the eldest son and http://www.geni.com/people/H%C3%A5kon-I-Haraldsson-%C2%ABden-gode%C... as probably the youngest son.

There are no doubts that Harald probably had more children, but none of them have been proven yet, so as of now the rest of them are only speculations.

The 3 children he supposedly had with Svanhild Eysteinsdotter are the ones that are most doubtfull.

6/8/2012 at 8:59 AM

Harald Fairhair spread his good genes throughout Norway and neighboring countries. That was one of his privileges as king. :-)

6/8/2012 at 8:15 PM

Oh yes, Harald probably did just that, Bjart Sterner Berge but the problem lies in with whome and what were the name of the offsprings? What is your suggestions, Bjart Sterner Berge amd what are your sources for your claims?

6/8/2012 at 9:14 PM

Remi, I agree. Absolutely. I hope to find some time this weekend. Let's see if we can get the link through Ragnfred documented, then cut. I think it's a good idea when removing something that many people have accepted, to take the time to include all the details, together with hot links. Then, if something new comes up, it's easy to trace the train of thought that led to cutting the connection.

6/9/2012 at 4:05 PM

Such Arrogance. You don't insult me, you insult everyone who continuously make corrections minor or major to their tree lines, including yourself. If you dont agree with some tree lines or portions of those lines ask GENI to delete them and see how far you get with them. Errors or not, accurate or not, a lot of people put a lot of time in correcting those older tree lines. Roll up your sleeves and work on them or shut up. You Obviously thrive on this verbal conflict. You Quote Lincoln like some Liberal retired teacher from nEW
jERSEY. I could quote Theodore Roosevelt, but not today. I will say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and the one on the page I looked at, only one word is suitable. Good day to you sIR.

6/9/2012 at 4:53 PM

Ernest Roy Iversen what are you talking about?

Geni can't delete anything since it is single/multiple persons that owns the profiles, not Geni.

What do you want?, a most correct tree or a fairytale tree?

We are not arrogant at all, in fact I think you are arrogant by not being willing to talk about what may be wrong in these trees.

This hasn't anything to do about how much work you, or me, or anybody else put in any line, this has to do about genealogy, thoroughness, and to read the sources as good as possible.

So why don't you roll up your sleeve and work the problems? Or shut up!

This site must try to be as accurate as possible, if not it will not survive.

I would say that a primary source is worth a thousand pictures, and the ones I have looked at, beats every picture and secondary source, that I have ever seen, and only one word is sutable to your way of of thinking: Good day to you Ernest Roy Iversen

6/9/2012 at 6:07 PM

Remi Pedersen
You did not read it careful enough because It was not directed at you at all, not one bit. It was directed at the nice fellow who made the comment about about Lincoln, and the sarcasm was only meant for him, because thats where the insult came from and he went overboard. No reference to anyone else intended. In fact this guy just might be my cousin if his middle initial is M and he was born in New york in 1930.

6/9/2012 at 7:30 PM

28tah GGF via the Margaret Ross 1st Visountess of Stair line, seems a little short for 1,200-1,300 years however.

6/9/2012 at 7:31 PM

This conversation is like an episode of "When Geneologists turn bad" :0)

6/9/2012 at 7:34 PM

Can someone lease explain to me the use of N. N. Even when there is a full name and history posted along with it.... i took it to mean No Name but it doesn't add up when there are four N's in some cases and then accompanied by names/titles etc? Silly question, but I need clarification, thanks!

6/9/2012 at 8:01 PM

It stands for Nomen Nescio.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomen_nescio

"Genealogists often use the abbreviation to signify an unknown or partially unknown name (such as N.N. Jones."

If you are seeing full names used with it, you are seeing a part of Geni that needs some work ;)

6/9/2012 at 8:57 PM

Remi,

I built on the work you had done, to flesh out some of the information, then disconnected N.N. Ragensfredsdotter from her (highly speculative) parents.

Wife of Harald the Black

Take a look. Let me know if you see anything we need to change.

6/9/2012 at 10:05 PM

Thank you Justin!

Private
6/10/2012 at 12:53 AM

Jag är också en ättling till Harald I Fårfager

6/10/2012 at 3:33 AM

Justin,

her profile look nice now with good information in the About me.

Harald the Black's profile could use some more cleanup in the About me. I'm thinking about the swedish text starting with "Mor: NN av ISLAY (950 - 980)". Maybe this part should be removed? Or at least down to the word "Noteringar".

9/18/2012 at 11:30 AM

Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is my 33rd great grandfather too.

9/18/2012 at 11:33 PM

Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is my 28th great grandfather!

Private User
9/18/2012 at 11:44 PM

Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is my 29th great grandfather.

Private User
9/19/2012 at 4:12 AM

He's my 29th great grandfather!

Private User
9/19/2012 at 11:43 AM

Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is your 30th great grandfather

9/19/2012 at 11:54 AM

26th great grandfather through my mother and
29th great grandfather through my father.

Showing 1-30 of 49 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion