Portals for project makers

Started by Dimitri Gazan on Monday, July 20, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 101 posts
7/20/2015 at 2:48 AM

Today I am going to develop a new kind of project in the same order I developed these and call them Plaza's:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-s-Project-Plaza/26544

http://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-s-Global-Plaza/26573

It is in my believe that curators and users can serve as a Project Portal as well, if they can offer being a portal for the projects they have created over time.

So the about section of ones profile page, becomes part of a single project page, using the personal profile pic as project pic, an -About me- storey describing the sorts of projects and then a summary of the projects developed.

This makes it possible, not only to search for project subjects, but also for project makers with their specific project productions.

7/20/2015 at 7:22 AM

Hi Terry, check out the Plaza page and you will notice that per Plaza table there is a link to a personal project page, then a short description and the contact details of the manger.

The long lists you just have posted should then be placed in your personal project ( take my personal page as an example )

7/20/2015 at 7:26 AM

(Check out my other Plaza projects to see what I mean.)

Private User
7/20/2015 at 8:28 AM

What about PRIVACY-aspect for those who are working in GENI, but NOT in GOOGLE?

7/20/2015 at 8:44 AM

I would like to participate but don't have time this week. And still can't quite figure out what I need to do.

I have quite a few different types of projects:

pre-Revolutionary American town projects

NE Poland - SW Lithuania Regions and Towns projects

Jewish Ukrainian communities and immigration projects

Huguenot projects

etc.

7/20/2015 at 9:07 AM

Not sure if you noticed, Jeannette, but everything you do on Geni is searchable/findable in Google. I see it as an opportunity to spread the word around,how fantastic Geni really is.

Just the Tag part on it's own in projects makes you traceable outside Geni as well. You fool yourself, thinking that Geni is a fortress, see it as a fantastic portal for genealogy.

7/20/2015 at 9:21 AM

Check out my personal page, Hatte, where I placed my list of projects:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Dimitri-Gazan/26579

============================

My name + short description about the several subjects my projects are about

About me: Mini section about me -

About my projects: the subjects of my projects, a bit more into detail

My projects: the list of projects

===============================

If your list is way too long, perhaps think about a more visitors friendly selection of your projects, for those who do not have the time and patience to browse through all of them.

Perhaps you could consider maybe just to give an impression of the several subjects and combine them with a good example project you have produced, to reduce a long projects list. All up to your own personal taste of course.

Private User
7/20/2015 at 9:47 AM

Dimitri Gazan To my personal view it's the greatest experience I had till now on the internet, working in Geni since september 2010... It's only my direct familie-members with an extended www-fobie that makes me always alert for new roads to pass... you see? Wouldn't like to show you the mails I got when I just started on this platform and one other aspect: as a publisher I like to stay independant as possible, just because I see my projects as pro-mature embryo's to use later in my life for others to explain my path to eternity... That's why I NEVER ever would have been a good CURATRIX, for then you have to signature laws that are not usually in our continent...

7/20/2015 at 10:00 AM

Love your writing, Jeannette LOL :)

I always think this way, that I am not expecting my privacy is to be respected on the net wherever I digitally am.

And like in REAL life I just keep on saying/sharing what I want to say or share :)
And there are loads of people who do not want to hear what I have to say though, hahaha!!

Like the way you look at it. I can compare that with the process of making art. It is the giving birth of something new, raise it until it is good enough to stand on it's own feet...and then you have to let it go free into the world and let others experience or decide what to do with or think of it.

I created this Plaza project with an aim to get more people on Geni involved with each other.

Not bombard them with loads and loads of information, but just trying to get this Global Family a bit closer to each other in an more easy and approachable environment.

Private User
7/20/2015 at 10:08 AM

:-) very, very GOOD, Dimitri, only tell my siblings and you will know how exhausting it is to be born in a family with a little bit of grey cells to much...

Private User
7/20/2015 at 10:10 AM

... and in using those important part of their bodies, they forget to listen to their intuitive dendrites and the pass they walk to their the compartiment where their harts are domesticated...

Private User
7/20/2015 at 10:36 AM

Regarding the privacy, as the idea as I believe is to use our profile pages, you will be able to adjust the privacy settings if not done so already.
The only part that should be publicly shared is the ''about'' section where you can list the projects that you have created. Everything that is set to private can not be viewed by others?

7/20/2015 at 10:38 AM

Dimitri -

I am enjoying your tasty plaza, it's quite delicious. I'm on iPad most of the time (terrible for indexing) & besides, as an original "project queen" I think I have thousands of projects in my pocket, as project starter or contributor.

So I'm going to think on themes & portals to assist in my own sub menu. The idea, mission, and implementation is just wonderful.

7/20/2015 at 12:14 PM

You make me blush and feel happy at the same time, Erica. I am glad you like the Plaza idea!

Please share any of your thoughts here, when you start to create your own personal project page.

I can imagine who difficult to some it can be how to organise and keep it compact and above all, accessible when you can offer so many projects, as some of us do.

Private User
7/20/2015 at 12:16 PM

To my —not humble, but modest— opinion, also PROJECT-pages should have a YES/NO button for privacy and exterior exposure.similar to/with the pages of PROFILES.

7/20/2015 at 4:56 PM

Well done, Dimitri. Congratulations and thank you.

7/20/2015 at 10:15 PM

Great work Dimitri.

We would need to find a way to list a large number of projects (say almost 100) without the images overtaking the space and viewers then having to pore through pages of lists.

Thinking .........

7/21/2015 at 12:06 AM

Thank you, Brendan, thank you, Pam 😊

If I wasn't clear enough in my previous posts, I will try explain myselve again.

My Plaza idea is somewhat like a light version of a portal. Easy to browse through, easy to pick your table of interest and visit the project attached to it.

Now this Project Producers Plaza works the same way. So it is not going to be a collection of huge lists. What the real problem is, how to get an orderly, visitors friendly personal project page which you are able to visit, once you found the table of your choosing.

If you want to embed all sorts of subjects in the compact table describtion on the Plaza, you can maybe select some project subjects in combination with a short description of your interests maybe.

Erica has started a discussion about how to sort out the reducing of huge lists to subjects first and how to catagorize them.
http://www.geni.com/discussions/148573

One should not forget you can browse for projects via the projects dashboard searchengine. So, maybe, like Erica is trying to aim for at the moment, is to catagorize the numerous of subjects, her projects are all about.

Lists like that could then maybe provide you the keywords to use in the dashboard searchengine.

Anyway, I think besides catagorizing your subjects, it could preferably be accompanied with some of your projects, 2 or 3 as an example per subject?

My personal page is just an example of how yours could look like. Difference is that my number of projects aren't that big LOL

What I think the bottom line is that you have to try to give an impression of yourselve via your various subjects and some of the projects you have produced. Not the completely summary of what you have achieved over the years. It should not be a monument but a personal portal to your projects.

Make the visitor to get to know you a little bit better, and make yourselve recognizable in future time when one comes across one of your projects via the project dashboard.

7/21/2015 at 12:10 AM

Nicely said, Dimitri!

Would you be kind enough to link your project portal page for inspiration / appropriation? :)

7/21/2015 at 12:47 AM

Thanx Erica, hope it helps a bit and not make things more complicated lol

Now I am not sure what you mean with your last post, Erica?

7/21/2015 at 1:25 AM

My personal page is not a good example for huge numbers of projects. In that way it isn't a portal actually. I've only made twelve projects up till now...not hundreds. So I am able to show them all and not overwhelm my visitors.

I post my page already in this thread, but here it is again and you'll see:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Dimitri-Gazan/26579

7/21/2015 at 1:37 AM

Ah! Very helpful, particularly the narrative. It explains some of the themes that might interest collaborators.

7/21/2015 at 2:34 AM

Cool!!

7/21/2015 at 5:23 AM

Dimitri, I really can't make my banner the right size! HELP!
http://www.geni.com/projects/Terry-Jackson/26584

7/21/2015 at 6:08 AM

What website did you use, according to my suggestions on the (David) BANNER project, Terry?

http://www.geni.com/projects/David-BANNER/26445

Or do you have software installed, then I would like to know what that is.

Beautiful banner by the way :)

7/21/2015 at 6:11 AM

If you are able to resize your picture, make sure you do it proportional.
600 pixels, the width should be.

7/21/2015 at 6:15 AM

Of that list of websites I suggested, I prefer working with:

http://www.befunky.com/

I downloaded your banner and opened it in that website and noticed it is 40 pixels too wide

7/21/2015 at 6:49 AM

Whenever you are ready, I reserved a table for you, Terry :)

http://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-s-Project-Producers-Plaza/26580

Showing 1-30 of 101 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion