Geni Server has slowed to a crawl!!!

Started by Angus Wood-Salomon on Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 728 posts

I keep getting "problem loading page" errors, with a message that "the connection was reset while loading". I am only getting this from Geni, not any other internet sites.

Profiles are still missing on Projects...any idea when that will be back up?

Anita M. Boynton - I decided not to touch projects because I added a profile and promptly lost the 150 existing profiles in the project :( I don't know how long it will be until projects are restored, but I expect at least a few more days.

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer so you think the original profiles were there until new one's were added? That is scary!

Anita M. Boynton - yes unfortunately. I'll go back and check. Maybe the existing profiles have come back :)

My approach during the database restore is to find other things to do with my time rather than modifying any profile / project or branches of the trees for which data in the database (links, tags, About Me, etc.) need to be restored. Doing research and reading and doing non-Geni things for a few days.

Anita that's how caching works... some fast front-end server keeps a copy of what the database has, but once we know that has changed the cache is invalidated and then refreshed with a new database query.

We're still in the process of restoring the links between profiles and projects, media, surnames, etc -- I don't have an ETA on when that will be complete.

Mike Stangel - thanks. That makes sense. I understand caching. So when I saw 150 profiles, that was the cache and when I saved the project with the new profile, I saw the true state of it with only the new profile. Gotcha and that reassures me :)

Harder question - what happens if you have a case of the pre-crash project profiles and the post-crash profiles added to the project? Can you both restore the pre-crash links and merge in the post-crash links?

We're adding pre-crash links to the post-crash links, so there should be no problem with that. The only real trouble comes when there is a conflicting change, like we have with About Me if someone edits it before it gets restored.

So it's still a good idea for us to not touch profiles yet?

Minor edits ought to be fine.. I'll have to write a script to do a more-sophisticated data merge on profiles that have been edited during the restoration process. Merging is going to pose some real challenges, though, so I wouldn't dive into that Merge Center just yet.

Mike Stangel - It sounds like it would be best to

not do merges
not edit existing About Me's
not edit existing project narratives

Is that a reasonable way to approach this?

Don't worry about the About Me's, just don't try to put back the missing ones. Project descriptions are fine, just don't try to add back the missing profiles.

I've just found out (by accident) that most of the access problems I've had are solved simply by logout and login to the site
:-)

All messages (Inbox / Sent / Saved) should now be fully restored. We're still working on the profile details (including About Me) as well as the "tags" that associate profiles with photos, projects, etc.

Thanks Mike Stangel!

Mike...when will project profiles be fixed?

all information in (i guess) every profile in general tab (or where additional information about a profile is stored) is deleted and no sign of anyone changing it, so it must be system fault. I know exactly where i have edited and this is just frustrating!! I dont need that important information about a person gets lost because of some version change of Geni that has questionable value. I have always thought that if something works, then don´t mess aroung with it or it will not work any more.

Jaak Tulp What kind of info is missing from Profile Basics (or what is General Tab?)
If you are looking to empty About Me then it is currently halfly restored -
profile view is empty but in revisions - Latest - View all is existing and marked Current (test it),

Cool down, keep going, lets hope that "Geni Resurrection" is finished until next Monday...

Lauri

Mike Stangel wrote on 06:16 EEST 2011-08-05:
"Merging is going to pose some real challenges, though, so I wouldn't dive into that Merge Center just yet."

When we can expect it? In September?
(I have list of really bad merges/data conflicts which I don't want to try to solve before)

ok, i guess Mike´s post answered my question too, but still...do we need that system becomes unstable because of constant changing?

Sry, Lauri! Yes, i ment the About Me tab and i couldn´t remember the name of the section (Profile Basics). As you know i use estonian translation. Thanks for the explanation.

Mike Stangel It looks like the problems have caused profiles to be made private. Have you heard anything about this? I was working on one before the outage and now it is private. The manager says she did not change it.

Maybe now would be a good time to run a script to make profiles older than 150 years public

I have not hard the reports -- can you point me to a specific example?

The profile "tags" (associations) to photos, documents, projects, discussions and videos have been restored. Let me know if you see any related problems. The "About Me" and other profile details are still being restored, but I'm hopeful that may finish up overnight or sometime tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

Mike Stangel Here it is
Unknown Profile

Eldon are you sure that's the profile you were working on? I checked two independent sources and both indicate that profile has been private since it was added just over a year ago. Could you have been working on Unknown Profile or Hulda Vaughn ??

I have a question. How can you make sure that a profile is 150 years old when birth date is not present? The date could be wrong also.

Mike Stangel The link you sent is the one I was working on. A search brought up the private one as the only one. I guess this is a result of the merge done after I updated the profile. It looks like the About me info is gone for now also.
The private profile must be the same as the name combo is rather unique so since the death date is 125 years old so shouldn't it be public??

Mike Stangel Just an FYI that "search" on projects is not working. Nothing huge, just wanted you to know!

Eldon Lester Clark

Unknown Profile

is now public

Showing 31-60 of 728 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion