Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 91-120 of 1836 posts

Anita - obviously there is something that you don't understand.

As a non-pro some of us have been devoted to the world tree all the time. And lots of us have been a part of it for a very long time. Have entered profiles for siblings and their children. Have surched for their dublicates, and have posted lots of mergerequests also from inside our private tree. Which was possible until Friday.

No need to leave - I'm quite sure at a time Geni will become aware of the great work non-pros have done in here. I myself is expecting a pro-status - just waiting for news from Geni in that connection.

So - thank you for your concerns about our future in here - but we manage to cope with it ourselves :-)

Judith - I just think that we have been limited from searching possible profiles in other trees related to ours.

And that fact is not good for our work- but it isn't good for Geni either..

About last new year I found connections to NZ in here by the help of Ancestry/Rootsweb. And now our trees are connected. That was possible because of the searchbox in here. The same misspelling in the name was used in here :-)

Henry I don't think you understand . I was agreeing with something you stated and that was it. I just was agreeing on the statement you said about your wanting to find more info about certain lines in Denmark and America. I just want to find out when, and how certain people got here and why did they leave their home lands. I am already way way way back in England , Frances S.Scotland and other places. I have all I need to know on that subject and beleive me that a lot of info I've acquired over the years. Never suggested that you were leaving. Just stated that I wasn't that interested in preserving Historical profiles, that I already know about and have know for many years before getting involved with Geni. However people are leaving the sight. You can see by their post the discontent. And I think more will depart. And I meant to say can't be bothered not bored anymore. Although I must say this whole world tree is a bit boring. or at least annoying. I am not devoted to a world tree. I just like doing genealogy. I started as a non member ,non participant. Just quietly building my end of the tree in computer form. I really had no clue in the beginning what I was getting myself into when I first started to collaborate. It was not a good idea on my part. However, I am here and hopefully I can hang in better than Micheil did. So I will trudge on. Onward and upward as they say. P.S., I have nothing against the big tree. As I said all you people who are interested, who are knock yourself out. Myself I have no interest in being connected to the whole world. Good luck and happy hunting!

Judith - My post I think you are referring to was for Anita.

I leave this thread, and go back to my genealogy.

amen

Judith continue doing that

Judith, if someone did, it wasn't the Master Profile of William the Conqueror. I just checked and it hasn't been changed. You'll be pleased to know that Maud of Flanders is still his wife.

"Non-Pros can no longer add new profiles to the historical tree or merge profiles. By making these permissions more consistent, we ensure that anyone who can add a new profile to the historical tree can immediately merge it with any existing duplicates"
What it actually ensures is that all non-pro members can't complete and start new merges - each time it just directs the user to "Pro trial"-page.

Instead of getting more merges done, now everyone gets less. I was an active merger, but now I guess, I'll just spend my free time some other way. Thanks Geni for messing this one up.

I'm non-pro at this point, and over the last few days I've been trying to download a document to my 3rd great-grandfather. It doesn't accept it. Are adding documents now something only accomplished by Pro members, even to our close family members?

Private User

No permissions have changed to add documents or change data on the profiles you manage, PRO or non PRO.

Mary Kathleen,
I am a curator and sometimes have problems uploading a document. What is the file format (jpg, pdf, etc) and file size? You can start a help ticket. As Erica says, your permissions for adding documents has not been changed, so if there's a problem, the wizards need to figure out what is going wrong.

What part of rthese people saying they can't get in and add profiles don't you understand? Weather or not the system has changed these people are having problems.

Judy/ Judith . I know what you mean. Things are tough for people these days. really tough. I am lucky still work and because I am Union I have cheap ins. plus medicare. If I retired as planed I'd lose the union medical and vision and dental. So I am staying on longer. I need two front teeth and can't afford them. Lucky for me it's not noticeable.But I would like them. I wear glasses so i need the vision plus I need the prescription like other people do. i never expected to be in this situation and I am better off than some. Much better off and I will weather it and all will ok. I hope. I have to beleive that.My mother lived the depression and great grandmother had a stoke and was paralyzed on the left side at around 50. Lived to 86. She drove herself down to friends house in a buggy with her good hand. People put her into the buggy and took her out but she got there and didn't let what happen to her get her down. i come from hardy people. I'll make it or die trying.
Like you I have a few brick walls that need crumbling. I to joined because it was free. Otherwise I would have joined Ancestry or Roots. Roots is still somewhat free.The Saints are free but you have to be careful what you believe. same with Roots.

I really see very little point in continuing to do any work here on Geni. After the fiasco two weeks ago where someone incorrectly merged a profile I managed that couldn't be fixed, Geni has now decided to have a whole lot more merging with no notification and no way to back things out. I will no longer add anything to, or correct anything on Geni. A shame that i have 11 months to go on my Pro subscription that will go to waste.

You couldn't even be bothered to put up a notification of changes until 2 days after they became effective.

(And no, don't bother telling me I am wrong, Internet Hug Squad for Geni. I'm turning off discussion notifications and will never see them.)

Oh, and look what I had checked in my notifications:

Email me occasionally about new Geni features and announcements

Guess what I didn't get an email about. I'll give you a hint, it has something to do with changes to permissions on "historical profiles."

I am hanging in for the moment. Like Philip not adding anything in connection with Historical profiles. Have in past but have had my info revised by others. Don't know what else can be added to some of them. Think at this point they have been beaten to death. I don't understand geni . when everyone is telling you they are having problems .you keep telling them no there not. Do you not read, do you not hear , do you not listen? Or is it you just choose to ignore people. I will keep plugging alone working on my dead ends and see what happens. Maybe things will improve! We can only hope! Judy

Mike Stangel The box next to my profile picture is suddenly grey and the counts all show zero is this something you guys are fine tuning or an error? my merge center is set to show collaborators.

Hi Eldon,

No, we haven't changed anything. Are the gray box and zero-counts on your profile page, or somewhere in your merge center?

They are on my main page, The box just turned red and showed 2 discussions everything else showed zero
This is the box that now usually shows messages, requests, tree matches and discussions next to where the message icon used to be.

Mike, after I accessed the discussions, and went on, the box is grey again and the counts are zero again. The notifications box on my home page shows 102387 merge issues.

Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns We had some reports about a bug where the arrows weren't showing up. We have a fix queued up to go out tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix your situation as well.

Why do they keep beating us over the head with this Pro membership!!
gosh i cant do a name search, i get a Pro notice instead. i think i'll just delete all my projects. there is really nothing left to do here for us non pro users

I didn't know you could delete projects. Thought they stayed there forever!

Well Eldon, you're number MUST have gone down....I now have, since yesterday when I had 6, a total of 45,022 MERGE ISSUES.......

I don't have that many profiles! So I must have 8-10 per person......

ELDON....You are probably looking at the MERGE ISSUES total for ALL your collaborators, instead of just YOU....

I am now back down to normal.....just go into the merge issues list, look to the right, you can call up the issues by relatives, managed by you, followed by you, and for YOUR collaborators (all of them totalled).....just move the cursor till you are back down to just 'your relatives'

Fay and Eldon I suggest you keep it at Managed by you, the majority of us keep it there, it gives you a better idea of the merge issues you have.

Angus, I check related, managed followed and my collaborators every day. My issue is not the total shown in the notifications area it is how the how the box to the right of the search box is only turning red when there are new discussions not messages or anything from the merge center.Also the counts there are all zero unless there are new discussions.
I try to work on the collaborators when I have time, as I am doing right now.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104868302441624038496/GeniNotification...

That box shows number for notifications of new messages, new discussions and new Family Tree Match, notice I mentioned Tree match not very common.

At least that is how it working in mine.

@ Judith maybe so.

All mine shows is discussions, everything else the count is zero, otherwise the box is grey. This just started yesterday which is why I asked Mike if they were changing things. I wish they would take the messages out of the box and go back to showing the envelope icon separately.

Showing 91-120 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion