Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1831-1836 of 1836 posts

Fay ... but are they the same person, but just with incorrect information as to birth location?

I run into that on my own 'close' family tree ... one MH match has a birth in Switzerland (actually, 3 of them with 2 different Swiss canton's) and two more matches with US birth locations -- but they are definitely all describing the same person (same parents, same siblings, same birth date, same spouse, ...).

I have asked for, and hope for, being able to have a 'comment field' on the Geni-side after confirming a Record or a Smart Match so these kinds of things can be noted -- and not imply that ALL the data from a SmartMatch is correct.

Of course, I can have "hand-loaded" Sources on a profile which are not consistent with each other, too.

For me, the "Confirm" / "Reject" comes down to: Is this the same person?

If yes, confirm it. Even if the parents are wrong, but everything else supports that it is a correctly matched person.

Confirming a SM (or Record Match) is (to me) like confirming a "Source" -- NOT at all like confirming a proposed Geni-to-Geni profile merge!

re: not being able to see the MH matching details.

Actually, I run into 'sources' that people have added (either "About" links or on the Sources tab) that I can't see, either. So, in that way SmartMatches are not a lot different. (e.g.: I don't have a paid Ancestry account, just a free one, so any references to non-free Ancestry data I can't view.)

Fay - on my Old web site - I use to post.

a) *same as xxxx (with a link) and some details? OR b) Note: any relation to xxxx (with a link) and some details

Not a source - but a References (question) at 1st only. Of which - Many ended-up being Same person or a Relative - even if 1 of us may have had "different info." - like date, location, family member, etc.

I may have contacted perhaps 1% of the links mentioned above. If the MH person has wrong info. - don't worry about it - perhaps 1 day he will become active on Geni again OR join, if not a user - and have same info. as your profile has.

*sample old page - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prohel/names/geir...

Thanks for the input....

It is one thing to get all these new matches, over 500, but I do not want to pay to access yet another provider, I have already joined up as a pro for Geni. So now I have hundred's of matches which are of no use!

Penelope I know what you mean. Maybe one or two will pop up that are somewhat useful but the majority NOT! One maybe so far has turned up something. Nothing i wanted but added it anyway and maybe someone can use it. But you have to rummage around other places, which acturally , I enjoy doing, to make sure you have it straight and even then you can get mixed up but it all straightens out. I am not even a pro so i have even less access then you.

Showing 1831-1836 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion