Matching family tree profiles for Adam Shipley
About Adam Shipley
Adam Shipley was born circa 1650 in Yorke, Yorkshire County, England and died in 1698 at Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Parents: He was the son of Hugh Shipley [see footnotes]
- Lois Howard circa 1675 at Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
- Lois Shipley+ d. b 7 Sep 1746
- Richard Shipley+ b. c 1677, d. 1725
- Robert Shipley+ b. 1678, d. 1763
- Adam Shipley
- Peter Shipley
- Keturah Shipley+ b. c 1681, d. 1740
Killed by the Indians
in 1698 while returning from a visit with some of his relatives in Virginia. He left six children under legal age and his eldest son Richard Shipley was heir at law by the English custom of primogeniture. After the death of their father, the children of Adam received shares of his land from their brother Richard. They moved to Queen Caroline Parish in what is now Howard County, MD, where their names and those of their familes are to be found on the Christ Church Register.
And has a road sign
There is a sign placed by the Maryland Historical Society along the road which reads "Shipley's Choice" : Adam Shipley, who came to Anne Arundel County in in 1668, on March 30, 1681, patented 200 acres on the south side of the Severn River, dedicated during the tercentenary commemoration of the SHIPlLEY'S of Maryland May 25, 1968.
It was at this time that Adam Shipley (1645-50 - 1696) came to America. Adam was the son of Hugh Shipley, a 'Gentelman' grantee of 2d charter of the Virginia Company, 1609. He arrived in Providence, Maryland from Yorkshire, England in February of 1668. Adam was transported with nine young men by John Pawson, a merchant from Yorke, England. The other men were Christopher Shawn, John Browne, John Fish, Thomas Mason, William Barton, Richard Flint, Richard Pattereson, Thomas Wood and John Dixon. Adam Shipley 'performed his time or service' (probably an apprenticeship) to pay for his transportation, and by 1675 had received the 'fifty acres of land due him' under the incentive plan. He then settled down to the serious business of acquiring land. By 1687 he had acquired 1,000 acres of land. Adam married Lois Howard (1655 - 1725) in 1676 and they settled in Anne Arundel County. 
- One source says Adam's father is Richard 1599-1628.
- He immigrated in February 1667/68.
- He was Property on 30 March 1681 at "Shipley's Choice", Anne Arundel County, Maryland; 200 Acres.1
- He was Property on 8 April 1687 at "Adam the First", Anne Arundel County, Maryland; 500 Acres.1
- Adam Shipley Shipleys Choice 200 acre tract patented 30 Mar 1687 on Elk Ridge in Patapasco Hundred, Anne Arundel Co., now in Howard Co., MD (on south side of Sever River shows this tract lying across the road about one mile north of Severn Crossroads & running down to the water's edge),
- Transported by John Pawson Feb 1668
- He recieved a 50 acred grant of 50 acres for his time of service from Feb 1668-10 Jan 1675. Grant was located in Eoden, Anne Arundel Co MD
- April 5, 1679 Purchased Howard's & Porter's Range Anne Arundel Co. MD South side of Severn River 500 acres for 4000 lb of tobacco
- April 5, 1679 Purchase 100 acres on south side of Severn River 6-8 miles north Annapolis Howard's & Porter's Range
- Mar 30 1681 Purchased Shiples Choice Anne Arundel Co. Md 100 acres S of the Severn River
- Nov 12, 1681: Assment Anne Arundel Co 1,050 pounds assesment of the Publick charge of the Province
- Mar 1687: "Adam the First" 600 acres, Patapasco Hundred, now Howard Co MD Part becomes "Eves Dower" & "Batcherless Vinyard"
- Mar 1687: Patent "Adam the First", Anne Arundel Co 500 acres on Elk Ridge
- 1698: Death
- 1698: Probate. Richard made a fair distribution of the estate to brothers & sisters. He retained 300 acres of "Adam the First" He gave a 100 acre part of Howards & Porters Range to Adam, Robert & Peter. Adam 100 acres Howard & Porter's Range, Robert-100 acres part of "Elk Ridge', Adam-part 500 acres, Peter
- 100 acres of "Lane. This was witnesses by John Howard son of Mathew, James Barnes, & Darby Regan. Aug 1, 1698.
- [S93] Peter Wilson Coldham, Settlers of Maryland, 1679-1700.
- The Shipleys of Maryland, 1968, a study of the descendants of Adam Shipley, of Yorkshire, England, who came to Annapolis, Maryland in 1668.
Adam Shipley's Timeline
Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland, United States
October 16, 1677
Annapolis, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland
July 1, 1678
Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland, USA
Anne Arundel Co., Maryland
Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland
August 9, 1698
Anne Arundel, Maryland, United States