This project identifies the grandchildren of Queen Victoria, Sovereign of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India, and her consort Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, her cousin.
Albert's nine children and 26 of their 34 grandchildren, who survived childhood, married into royal and noble families across the continent, tying them together and earning her the nickname "the grandmother of Europe".
Victoria's reign of 63 years and 7 months, which is longer than that of any other British monarch and the longest of any female monarch in history, is known as the Victorian era. It was a period of industrial, cultural, political, scientific, and military change within the United Kingdom, and was marked by a great expansion of the British Empire. She was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover; her son and successor Edward VII belonged to the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
After Albert's death in 1861, Victoria plunged into deep mourning and avoided public appearances. As a result of her seclusion, republicanism temporarily gained strength, but in the latter half of her reign, her popularity recovered. Her Golden and Diamond Jubilees were times of public celebration.
Queen Victoria was the sovereign of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and the first Empress of India of the British Raj. At 63 years and 7 months, her reign lasted longer than that of any other British monarch, and is the longest of any female monarch in history. Her reign is known as the Victorian era, and was a period of industrial, cultural, political, scientific, and military progress within the United Kingdom.
Victoria was of mostly German descent; she was the daughter of the fourth son of George III, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn. Both the Duke of Kent and George III died a year after her birth, and she inherited the throne at the age of 18 after her father's three elder brothers died without surviving legitimate issue. She ascended the throne when the United Kingdom was already an established constitutional monarchy, in which the king or queen held relatively few direct political powers and exercised influence by the prime minister's advice; but she became the iconic symbol of the nation and empire. She had strict standards of personal morality. Her reign was marked by a great expansion of the British Empire, which reached its zenith and became the foremost global power.
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert got the following children:
- Victoria, Princess Royal, German Empress
- Edward VII
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse
- Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Helena, Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll
- Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught
- Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany
- Beatrice, Princess Henry of Battenberg
Children of Frederick III
Children of King Alexandra of Denmark
Children of Princess Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse
Children of Prince Maria Alexandrovna of Russia
Children of Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein
Children of Princess John Campbell, 9th Duke of Argyll
- No issue
Children of Prince Louise Margaret of Prussia
Children of Prince Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont
Children of Princess Henry of Battenberg
- Alexander Mountbatten, 1st Marquess of Carisbrooke
- Victoria Eugenie, Queen of Spain
- Lord Leopold Mountbatten
- Prince Maurice of Battenberg
Books About Queen Victoria
- De-La-Noy, Michael. Queen Victoria at Home.
- Erickson, Carolly. Her Little Majesty: The Life of Queen Victoria.
- Hibbert, Christopher. Queen Victoria: A Personal History.
- Munich, Adrienne. Queen Victoria's Secrets.
- Packard, Jerrold M. Victoria's Daughters.
- Potts, D. M. Queen Victoria's Gene: Haemophilia & the Royal Family.
- Ramm, Agatha. Beloved & Darling Child: Last Letters Between Queen Victoria & Her Eldest Daughter, 1886-1901.
- Rennell, Tony. Last Days of Glory: The Death of Queen Victoria.
- Strachey, Lytton. Queen Victoria.
Books About Queen Victoria's Children and Grandchildren
- Freeman, Robert Massie: Nicholas and Alexandra
- Mager, Hugo.' Elizabeth: Grand Duchess of Russia.
- Pakula, Hannah. Uncommon Woman: The Empress Frederick, Daughter of Queen Victoria, Wife of the Crown Prince of Prussia, Mother of Kaiser Wilhelm.
- Pakula, Hannah. The Last Romantic: A Biography of Queen Marie of Roumania.
- Vickers, Hugo. Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece.
- Weintraub, Stanley. Edward the Caresser: The Playboy Prince Who Became Edward VII.
- Zeepvat, Charlotte. Prince Leopold: The Untold Story of Queen Victoria's Youngest Son.