People Connected to Shetland
Historic County of Scotland
Image right - Shetland location
HELP is always welcome - Please get involved!!
How to use this Page
- Please link any GENI Profiles with links to Shetland to this project.
- You can ALSO add the earliest heads of families to the list of Shetland Families on Geni below (don't forget to link their profiles to the project as well). These would usually be male! Please restrict people added to the list to the earliest head of family!
Note People with links to Shetland can be linked to the project but not necessarily added to the list below.
People connected to Shetland can also be linked to the following projects.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historical Shetland which covers the History of Shetland and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Shetland - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Shetland who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Shetland families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project.
The Surnames of Shetland
The history of the Shetland Islands is reflected in the surnames found there to this day. A patronymic naming practice was followed by the Norse descendants, sometimes into the early 1800s when permanent Andersons, Johnsons, Williamsons, etc. There are also Scottish names such as Sinclair, Neven, and Bruce handed down in the same manner as English surnames from the time of the first Scottish migrations in the late 1400s.
A list at SHETLAND ISLANDS SURNAMES in 1804 24 surnames (many with spelling variations) made up half of the population of the Shetland Islands.
An additional 53 names brought the total to 75% of the population. These names are: Abernethy, Arthurson, Blance, Burgar, Brown, Bruce, Clerk, Duncan, Garrioch, Georgeson, Goodlad, Gray, Leslie, Malcolmson, Moncrieff, Morrison, Redland, Sandison, Aitken, Bain, Bairnson, Cogle, Davidson, Erasmuson, Gilbertson, Harper, Linklater, Murray, Ollason, Rendal, Scollay, Shewan, Stewart, Stout, and White. Also, Cheyne, Christie, Couper, Coutts, Dalziel, Eunson, Gifford, Hutchison, Inkster, Isbister, Moar, Pole, Pottenger, Priest, Simpson, Scott, Spence, Watt.
Less common were, Adamson, Archibald, Bartleson, Charleson, Danielson, Dickson, Donaldson, Dwardson, Erickson, Evanson, Frederickson, Gavinson, Garthson, Grierson, Harrison, Hectorson, Herculson, Hoseason, Jacobson, Jeromson, Mattewson, Neilson, Ninianson, Rogerson, Samuelson, Theodorson, Turvelson, Walterson plus others not recorded by Sandison [not sure who this is - but could be http://www.gritquoy.com/genealogy/ CJB] but with ancient ties to Shetland such as Arcus, Barclay, Beattie, Copland, Guthrie, Hay, Henry, Mail, Mann, Moodie, Nisbet, Slater. Garster
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
See also the following GENi projects
Heads of Shetland Families on Geni
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Other links take you to external biographical web pages.
Emigrants from Shetland
Please add the names of people from Shetland who settled in the "New World"
Other Pages for People Connected to Scottish Counties
- People Connected to Aberdeenshire
- People Connected to Angus
- People Connected to Argyllshire
- People Connected to Ayrshire
- People Connected to Banffshire
- People Connected to Berwickshire
- People Connected to Buteshire
- People Connected to Caithness
- People Connected to Clackmannanshire
- People Connected to Dumfriesshire
- People Connected to Dunbartonshire
- People Connected to East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)
- People Connected to Edinburghshire (now Midlothian)
- People Connected to Fife
- People Connected to Inverness-shire
- People Connected to Kincardineshire
- People Connected to Kinross-shire
- People Connected to Kirkcudbrightshire
- People Connected to Lanarkshire
- People Connected to Linlithgowshire (now West Lothian)
- People Connected to Moray, Morayshire or Elginshire
- People Connected to Nairnshire
- People Connected to Orkney
- People Connected to Peeblesshire
- People Connected to Perthshire
- People Connected to Renfrewshire
- People Connected to Ross and Cromarty
- People Connected to Roxburghshire
- People Connected to Selkirkshire
- People Connected to Stirlingshire
- People Connected to Sutherland
- People Connected to Wigtownshire
this project is in HistoryLink