Swabbing down the "Mayflower" Decks

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, November 3, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 82 posts
11/3/2011 at 9:48 AM

There are new profiles of the passengers, their parents, spouses and children to be merged. It would be nice to get that going.

Suggestions
- check the Project merge center for pending merges
- do searches of the Geni database

Rules
- resolve data to Main
- resolve data to Master Profile
- Check the "overview"
- Post any discrepancies or questions for curators in this discussion, tagging the profile

Caution
- there are quite a few passengers whose parents are not known - and quite a few disproven myths. But the parent question is still a work in progress for historians. Follow curator notes and contact curators with any evidence that contradicts.

Private User
11/3/2011 at 11:25 AM

Merging profiles that aren't mine scares me but I'd be glad to help clean up About Mes as necessary...

11/3/2011 at 11:29 AM

So go for that, Jennifer! Back up old overviews by creating a text file on the fly named (profile name, dates) Overview - OLD.

Private User
11/3/2011 at 11:33 AM

Ahh, great idea! Will do!

11/3/2011 at 11:34 AM

... And make sure the doc shows in the media tab.

Private User
11/7/2011 at 12:20 AM

Hi Erica. Im from Alberton in South Africa and desendent from the www.RUDMANS.co.za and had add al my Rudman family on. For info if You like to look at it the web page are www.rudman.co.za. Have a smashing day love Sue du Randt born a
(Rudman)

11/9/2011 at 8:17 AM

Hi Sue

Was your family related to the original Plymouth Colony (Massachusetts) settlers who came to America on the ship "Mayflower" in 1620/1621?

11/9/2011 at 12:27 PM

Re: Richard Warren, "Mayflower" Passenger profile ... specifically parents.

The "About" seems to clearly state that parents are unknown, with (on the other hand) some reasonable conjecture they might be Christopher Warren and Allen Webb.

What might be the best way to document this in the tree structure?

Some options running through my head:

1) Just leave the ambiguous (multiple) parents and make both sets MP's so they can't be merged willy-nilly.

2) Choose one set, documenting in text of both parents (and Richard's) of why the choices.

3) Treat the alternate (conjectured) parents like adopted parents? i.e.: create a gender-neutral "brother" of Richard, with a name something like "conjectured relationship", and attach them that way. (That's a convention I've read about which some are using for adoptive relationships until Geni supports them more directly.)

11/9/2011 at 12:29 PM

... oops .... typo .... that would be Christopher Warren and Alice Webb ...

11/9/2011 at 12:34 PM

re: data conflicts (using Richard Warren, "Mayflower" Passenger as an example): when there are data conflicts, where the relevant fields are locked in the MP....

a) Is it intentional (in this instance) to lock the fields with the data unresolved? (e.g.: so the conflicts show up more readily).

b) Can the data conflicts be resolved by a curator unlocking the fields, resolving the data, and then relocking the fields (with the correct values)?

Just wondering...

11/9/2011 at 1:30 PM

Dan Cornett

Very bright questions as usual.

A) no, that was my "miss" on data resolves. Thanks for the catch - fixed it, if you want to give it a double check for correctness?

B) I have tried to defer to descendants on how the speculative parents are best represented in Geni. In my own lines I tend to be ruthless; I cut them off with notes to the theories in the overview.

C) other curators with direct ancestry have opted for that approach as well. For instance, for some reason John Alden is always given parents. So we made locked "unknown parent" profiles to merge the 500 copies of John Alden into, and then we break the connection as soon as alerted.

D) I recently queried the Francis Cooke descendants and it seems they want this approach as well.

E) Take a look at how Richard Warren looks with the unconfirmed parents. In fact it's easier "on me" to leave it like this, with the intentional conflict. Bu how well does that represent the truth of the case?

11/9/2011 at 1:37 PM

BTW - if you read the overview of Christopher Warren, of Ashburton

You will see that it's a discredited pedigree.

So in my opinion the connection should be broken.

11/9/2011 at 3:28 PM

I agree that it seems the thing to do (to break the connections to Christopher & Alice).

11/9/2011 at 3:31 PM

btw: My personal connection is rather distant at this point (given I haven't upload my side of the family yet, it's subject to change):

""Richard Warren, "Mayflower" Passenger is your wife's fifth great aunt's husband's uncle's wife's second great grandfather.""

11/9/2011 at 4:20 PM

When I started in the "bg tree" I was shocked to find out I was a 7th / 8th cousin removed to several passengers, as that was news in my family.

As time went on, merges (and mismerges) got done, I got closer and closer until one day I showed up as an Alden by marriage event (from the witch one, no less) and a Cooke directly by mismerge.

I got all excited until someone pointed out - there were only 23 families, if course they married into yours. :)

Anyway I am a Brewster via Scrooby and a Warren from England too.

I'm breaking the not! Parent connection. It doesn't even seem like a possible to me, and it's documented.

11/9/2011 at 4:30 PM

Richard Warren, "Mayflower" Passenger is your first cousin 8 times removed's wife's father.

11/9/2011 at 9:02 PM

Check out Abigail Snow (timeline) ... she had 9 dated christenings, 4 undated, 2 immigrant events dated and 2 undated, and duplicate LDS events (obviously from GEDCOM upload).

I removed all the duplicates; there is also one event which probably doesn't belong with her (it is French; translate it to see why I think it doesn't belong) ... but I didn't have permission to delete that event.

I also did a merge on husband, and resolved both of their conflicting data.

11/9/2011 at 9:18 PM

A bit of research & resolving is needed surrounding Esther Taber (Hester Cooke) ... the timeline isn't right, and some children have parental conflicts which are not obvious-at-a-glance.

11/9/2011 at 9:23 PM

Another one needing some research to resolve (as I'm cruising through the Mayflower generation): Rev. Isaac Cushman has multiple parents; the "About" is incomplete, but hints at other issues with that particular branch as it exists at the moment.

11/9/2011 at 9:25 PM

Oh, and regarding Esther Taber -- There are some conflicting data with locked fields, so I couldn't even begin to resolve those data conflicts.

11/9/2011 at 9:26 PM

The Cooke children need tender loving care. There are several Cooke / Cook families arriving in MA at the same time (or similar), masses of children with same names, and a tendency to drift into the Mayflower family. That's how I was adopted. I sorted the first generation a while back but I'm not surprised that they've been conflated again. We need to document first, find correct parents second as the approach.

11/9/2011 at 9:28 PM

Private User do you want to take a look at investigating Rev. Cushman?

11/9/2011 at 9:30 PM

Esther Taber I unlocked the locked fields.

11/9/2011 at 9:39 PM

Last one for tonight: www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000000216090049 (Abigail Smith 1726) has non-obvious parental conflict.

Private User
11/10/2011 at 8:05 AM

Thanks, Erica, I'd love to! Will let you know how it goes... (btw, I started on John Tidd for you before I got sick. Will get back to it now that I'm better...)

11/12/2011 at 11:28 PM

I have just found out this summer that there is Towne Association of which my sister and I are descendants of the Townes as our mother was a Towne. Her descendents came here on the "Rose" which arrived right after the Mayflower! We have always known that we were part of the Towne descendants, however the association has only been in existance for about 6 yrs. We are also descendants of the original twin witches that were the first to be executed during the Salem Witch Hunts. Ironically I always used to call my sister a witch when she was a child, as she could read the tara cards as young as 12 yrs. old or younger. She has always been able to predict the future and I jokingly used to call her a witch until I found out that we are actually descentants of the original witches. She used to take the bus to Salem even when she was 10 and was always fascinated by the witchery. She lived in Salem up until just 6 yrs. ago. The twin original witches were Sarah and Elizabeth I believe.

11/12/2011 at 11:43 PM

Erica Howton is fascinated by the Salem witches and has a project here on Geni on them :) I had ancestors in Salem too but they appear to have fled Salem. Hmmm, wonder why?

Private
11/13/2011 at 5:44 AM

I, too, would like to know more about Salem . My 9th greatgrandfather was Giles Corey. Now I have found out that on my father's side there is a possibliity of being related to Rebecca Towne. Would like to know more.

Private
11/13/2011 at 5:47 AM

I am descended from Samuel Fuller and also Francis Cooke. I have also been told that other ancestor's came over on the Mayflower. Do you know anyhing about the Rowley's?

Private User
11/13/2011 at 5:54 AM

I have discovered that my 10th great grandfather is Richard More. I of course tracked down a copy of "Mayflower Bastard....Stranger among the Pilgrims" I am still working on verifying this connection and wondering if anyone else on this board is connected to Richard More.
i can be reached at stevemack70@yahoo.com Thank you.

Showing 1-30 of 82 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion