Technical difficulties?

Started by Private User on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 211-240 of 1546 posts

I have been having problem with merging for the last few days...every time I merge, it had 2 of the same parents, and when I try to delete one parent, it delete one completely and I then loose all links to the ancestors..
I am also doing the genealogie on my husband side, and when I reach the 8th great grandfather and try to go to his 9th great grandfather, that 9th gg show that it is my 1st cousin 7x removed, husband 3 great grandfather....again, I try every which way to correct this...I need help!

Private User, that was a bad translation. I just reported it and it should have disappeared.

Suzanne Angele Bouchard please help us a little - can you do this?

1. Copy and paste the link of the profile of your 8th great gg to the discussion here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793

Attention Curators please assist

That way we can see if there's a tree issue we can solve.

Thanks

Thanks Michelle - under edit location I am still seeing:

Steds navn:
Fylke:
by or hjemsted:
Distrikt:

and the location box has greyed text starting "start med ..."

If you change your language to English (UK) and try to enter a location you will see what I mean. I haven't tried any other languages to see if they are affected.

On further investigation:

http://www.geni.com/tr8n/translations?locale=en-UK seems to show all the mis-translations - all apparently done by the one person - to whom I have sent a private message saying presumably they weren't intended for English and can that person remove them.

Michelle - I saw that the one you reported now had rank -99, so I have now reported all the others too. That seems to have solved the problem in the data entry screen. Thank you for your help!

Hi Erica...Thank you for your help...I just did what you told me to do...hopefully they can solve this problem....I never had any problems until yesterday.....but since yesterday I have problem merging, and getting the right lineage line up

Mike Stangel

The network is being speedy today and I have my first symptom to report.

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000017045807025

I entered date and location, ensured they showed, associated an event. As you can see all good - except "date" did not take.

Erica, your example list no facts from the document in the Note field.
Such a document link will only "document" whatever current profile values, not what the document tells.

You have to fill out the Note field to quote each fact you want to document.
If anyone change a profile value or you have differences in sources you will still see what the quoted facts are in the Sources tab.

If you take a closer look in the Sources tab of a profile you have a Citation column, and whatever you write in the Notes tab will be displayed there.

Thanks Bjørn, I'm aware of how to cite facts. I posted this link as an example for Mike on the difficulties before I work with citations (in edit mode for the document).

Erica Howton what date do you want on that document? The problem appears to be in the form itself, because the info that was posted to our servers did not include any date information. This means we'll have to play with it a bit to try to reproduce the problem in the client.

For this document I wanted a 1617 date In the Edit Screen. So now you do see what we're talking about?

Bjørn I'm sorry I wasnt clear enough. I did of course cite facts but since it's not a primary source I tried this method, you'll see it in "view sources"

Peter Gardner, of Roxbury

So the citation is the original secondary source. I used the "misc" field for that entry. It's important to me when looking at a compiler's work to know what sources they worked with so this is what i really wanted reflected.

The citation column are still empty.

Thanks Bjørn but there are several reasons for that, the primary one being that it was shared in this discussion as a difficulty for a work in progress.

Another reason is I am not sure I wish to use this doc as the sourced value; nor am I sure I wish to cite each individual field in the method you describe for a large family group.

I've tried 3 times to reproduce the problem with the year but each time, it added the year just fine. Might be related to the iPad, I guess -- I'll see if we can test that.

Worked fine on iPad, too. Are you able to reproduce this, or is it an intermittent problem? (maybe I'm missing a step?)

It's a consistent issue across apple devices (but has been reported on other platforms).

1. Upload doc
2. Fill in description, edit name, associate profiles - works fine.
3. Associate existing event from the drop down list - inconsistent (doesn't seem to stick although in fact it often does)
4. Date stamp - did not save (inconsistent)
5. Location auto complete (often not available at all and rarely saves on first pass)

I did mention that the date stamp issue comes up in Edit Basics & Edit Relationships intermittently also? Mike your network is too good! You need to test on dial up! :)

I'd sooner try to poke my eye out with this mouse.

:)

I agree with Erica on points 4 and 5 and that it comes up in Edit Basics & Relationships. Date is often not saved and when that happens i also wasn't able to add a location. Only after reloading the page (once or twice) the date and location can be added / changed.
i don't work on an ipad and my network is fast.
it seems to me that it only happens when the page is not completely loaded. once you start editing before the page is completely loaded it will not save the date and it won't allow to add a location.
question then is why do some pages take (much) longer to load than others?

rvk, how you know that it's loading slowly (Erica says there's no "waiting" message in the browser status bar -- is that true for you?) and most importantly, is there some page that the load problem can be reproduced?

i know it's loading slowly because i can see the spinner. only after the Geni-logo is visible is the page fully loaded.

as concerns reproducibility: i never checked. on the other hand, when i'm having this problem, reloading the page is much much faster. in that sense it's not reproducible...

also reloading a page i have do to more than 50% of the time when i want to add a photo.
in tree-view, when i click "the face" to add a picture, it happens that "the face" never starts spinning.
in profile-view i get a short text in the upper left corner most of the time. then i need to reload the page.
this is something Randy Schoenberg also mentioned a while ago.

virusses on the line? Or even other pc-diseases, like rost of old-fashioned software? or infections by google-crome already, one never knows these days. or is your hardware running to fast for this platform and are you too attached to the screen, so your eyes think you can't wait.... just some eruptions of a mind that had not enough sleep, but is still searching for Olympians. groetennujMu.

Mike

Yesterday on a "speedy network" day I had no trouble with date & location - except in "add photos" where there was no auto suggest for locations (I did then manually).

@Michael Alan Stangel

Difficulty in deleting a previous profile birth name.

I have been working on adding profiles to a place holder, attaching them via tree view, then Edit Basics to complete data input, finally detaching the profile from the 'fake tree'.

In the process, the 'Birth Name' field requires two (or more) passes through Edit Basics to remove the previous profile's birth name. Time consuming...

First Name and Last Name fields overtype correctly at the time of new input in Edit Basics. Unless I am sure of the correct name of the new profile, the previous birth name is just deleted, leaving a blank field.

However this deletion is not saved in the first pass. Tree View still displays the previous profile birth name.

Only the substitution of another name in the field seems to clear the previous profile birth name.

Despite 'poking out your eye' can you help with this?

In the Titanic-project I chose to add new profiles as EX-Partners, then you do not have to spend to much time to change everything afterwards. Maybe that is of help? groetUnu-jMu-fromHolland

Showing 211-240 of 1546 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion