Karelia

Started by Alex Moes on Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 22 posts
6/13/2012 at 12:03 AM

I've been thinking for a while about starting a project page specifically about Karelia.
I can't find any project currently but perhaps i just have not looked in the right place?

Private User
6/13/2012 at 1:08 AM

It is a project on Geni about Karelia http://www.geni.com/projects/karelen/5917 . Karelen is the Swedish name on this English named Karelia. One can say this project is almost empty, but people can create it.

Private User
6/13/2012 at 1:58 AM

if its about a femaile name you can also use my project:
* http://www.geni.com/projects/Your-first-name-is-…-Myriam-…-and-you-...

to just make a start of documentation, alex.

groetjenujMu.

Private User
6/13/2012 at 2:21 AM

To jMu: Karelia (or Karelen) is a landscape in Russia near the border to Finland. Up to 1940 Karelia were a part of Finland. From this area Karelia some people has emigrated and these people do we now research.

6/13/2012 at 2:45 AM

Sorry J,

As Arnfred says Karelja, Carelia, Kareleln (and about a million other spelling variations) refers to land between Finland and Russia who have traded ownership of it for the last 1000 years or so, most recently during WW2 when about 99% of the civilian population fled into southern Finland rather than become "comrades" of Papa Joe Stalin.

6/13/2012 at 3:00 AM

I've reported that karelen project as abandoned and request to be made a collaborator.
I've also asked for a name change to "Karjala/Karelia".

Private User
6/13/2012 at 3:15 AM

To Alex: If this don t help I propose we start a new project with the name you deside.

Private User
6/13/2012 at 3:50 AM

Name changed to both official languages + English

6/13/2012 at 4:22 AM

For a second i thought you had renamed it Карелия.

Private User
6/13/2012 at 4:30 AM

Now it is ok to make a good project about Karelia. Thanks to Lasse S. http://www.geni.com/projects/Karjala-Karelen-Karelia/5917

Private User
6/13/2012 at 7:36 AM

I propose to move the non-genalogical Karelia-links from the Finnish Coffee Corner to this project.

10/3/2012 at 2:06 AM

Please take a look at the ancient Nordic history. You will find - I wish - You will find it interesting.

There were a kings of Finland/Kvenland. Fornjotur born c. 160 AD. Area of the Kvens were large. He and his followers had a great influence the Orkney Islands an to Brits.

Yours
Peter Huuhka
peter.huuhka@wippies.fi

Note; Fornjotur is 35th great grandfather of mine.

10/3/2012 at 4:17 AM

Arkangelsk arhiv, in big town Arkangelsk , east side of White Sea, are over 1000 year old book , where is writed up people who have lived in karelia, there are karelians, finnish, russian etc peoples. It should to be interesting to study it, but no possiple - because it is so old book .... and can be damaged. Europa Union should to microfilm this old book and then we should to learn more thiks of karelian roths etc.

10/3/2012 at 4:33 AM

A thousand year old book must be very rare and i imagine might be older than christianity in Finland, who wrote this book and what it is about?

Private User
10/3/2012 at 12:22 PM

Hi Pentti, I know what you mean. In Archangelsk it is a archives/record office. And in this archives it is an old written book ca 1000 years old from a monastery in Archangelsk - Russia. This book contents names of several people born in Karelia and Finland and Russia this period of time. This book is not scanned and are not on internet because of lack of money in Archangelsk - Russia. The EU (European Union) should help Russia with money to scan it for internet such as we all can read it and help us genealogers in our familyresearch.

10/3/2012 at 10:56 PM

NOTICE; IT IS NOT ABOUT KARELIA ITSELF, I JUST WONDER THE HOW HARD IT IS.

There are a # of references in the matter of Fornjotur.

e,g. the GENI itself includes Fornjotur Kvenland, king (c.170 - c. 230 - Genealogy
Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Kvenland
Aug 13, 2012 ... Genealogy for Fornjotur Kvenlan. king (c. 170 . c. 230) on Geni with over 100 millin profiles of ancestor and living relatives.

As a reminder Kvenland was a large area; included Karelia.

There are shortcut - Google - Justs search - Fornjotur and you will get several results in this matter. You will find something that only few know about.

Your
Peter Huuhka, an ancestor of Fornjour
peter.huuhka@wippies

10/3/2012 at 11:05 PM

Actually there are exactly two references giving details about Fornjotur - both from the Flatey book, where he occurs in the introduction of two different sagas as the progenitor of a line that led to the Norwegian kings. Both references are approximately 2 sentences long.

He is linked to Finland, but not specially to Karelen.

10/5/2012 at 1:04 AM

They speak, that karelians had own king at ancient time sometimes.

10/5/2012 at 1:22 AM

Narimantas (Narimunt, christian name Gleb , Lev) Gediminovich , Prince of Pinsk and Mozyr, Polock and Novgorod, (b. 1298- d. Feb. 2nd at Strawa was Prince of Ladoga and Korela. Ruler of Korela (=Karelia) and Keksholms fästning. He was the second eldest son of Gediminas, Grand Duke of Lithuania. (N1 c Y-DNA). She married with tatar princess of Golden Horn, christian-name Maria , despoina, dotter of Khan Tokhtai (at least fife son), and they suppose that many places shore of Ladoga are their after- generations, (after - generations have close same Y-DNA than Gediminas).

Jukka PRO
10/7/2012 at 10:01 PM

I have been studying my mother's mother's roots which are in Northern Karelia which still belongs to Finland. I am willing to contribute to discussion.

10/24/2012 at 10:31 AM

A thousand years old book is in Arkangelsk arciv , where is written names of karelian, finnish, russian etc people who have lived in Karelia, this book is older than christian religion in Western- Finland.
They like always to forgott that ortodox- religion is older than roman-catholic religion in Western - Finland abouth AD 1000- 1100 in Turku. In Karelia was in Ladoga island even AD 800- 900 a monastery wich firts inhabitants was Holy Sergei and Holy Herman, this monastery was named Monastery of Valam. This monastery had evacueted year 1944 to Finland, Heinavesi, and it is very exellent place to visit for every one. I visited here a couple a weeks ago, staying 3 days and nights here.

8/13/2016 at 9:48 AM

I`m very intrested in my Karelian line (mothers ) Places; Luhanka , Räisälä , Koivisto ; Jämse , Imatra........I have no info. before 1799. My Mtdna + Haplogr (X2b4A1) Kitnr: 278796. If anyone knows something I would be so pleased.....

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion