Best desktop software if Geni.com is your primary data entry point.

Started by Bentzion Shlomo Turin on Friday, July 13, 2012
Showing all 4 posts
7/13/2012 at 3:54 AM

I am looking for recommendations for desktop software. I only want to enter data once and it turns out that I have been entering it into Geni at the expense of my desktop software ( I have Roots Magic basic and an old version of FTM) I want to purchase a desktop software package that will work well with Ancestor Sync (or another syncing program). So my priorities for the desktop software are:

1. Works best with a syncing program to Geni.com.
2. Can be used to make presentation/sharing materials, e.g., charts, books, etc.
3. Ease of use.

Malka Mysels Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) Private User Justin Durand Private User Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן

7/13/2012 at 6:17 AM

I use Reunion on the Mac, but I have not used Ancestor Sync or any syncing program and frankly I don't download as often as I should. But I find Reunion easy to use and it has been able to produce reports and has kept Geni About Me and other information.

7/13/2012 at 8:39 AM

I used Legacy for the PC as my primary program, and Reunion for the Mac as my working file. It doesn't need to be that complicated, but I'm in the process of transitioning from Legacy to Renunion. Legacy has more functionality, so I'm having to "clean up" the Legacy files as I come across problems where the export wasn't as clean as I'd like.

I don't know much about Ancestor Sync. I tried it in the very early days. It was so much work and there were so many problems that I gave up. I've been thinking it might be time to try it again.

I'm interested in hearing from other people. It would be wonderful to keep my desktop program(s) synced with Geni. Trying to do that manually would be impossible, although I've talked to some users who try.

7/13/2012 at 8:52 AM

I got this response from AncestorSync customer support this morning. (I had also e-mailed them a year ago).
Ben,

AncestorSync currently lists the following programs as for synchronizing with Geni.com.

Ancestral Quest 12, Family Historian, Family Tree Maker 2008-2011, GEDCOM, Legacy 2-7, MacFamilyTree, PAF, RootsMagic 4 and 5 and The Master Genealogist 7 and 8.

We are doing some intensive updates and you may or may not have some success using AncestorSync right now. In fact, I have been told not to try testing it now since it's not working all the time. This may go on for another couple of weeks.

I suggest you join the Geni discussion for AncestorSync so you will know when we're ready to start testing it again. To find these discussions, log into Geni.com. Click the Research tab and choose Discussions. IN the Viewing: window, choose All Public. When you see the list of discussions, use the Search Discussions window and enter Release Candidate. The one called 2012.06.19 - Release Candidate 1 is the current discussion but the name may change if we make another version and call it Release Candidate 2. I will keep your ticket opened so I can try and let you know when we're actively testing again.

To download the current installer for AncestorSync, please go to http://ancestorsync.com/ and click the Join Our Beta button.

Thank you for being willing to test AncestorSync on Geni.com.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion