Need to be added to project

Started by Henn Sarv on Sunday, January 27, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 151-180 of 205 posts

Does anyone know, what would it take to have Richard III's DNA in FTDNA, or FFDNA or GEDmatch.com files (or other sites)? I would like to confirm the paper trail we have on Geni.com with actual DNA results. If they found a modern descendant for him, it must be traceable. Any thoughts as to where this might be posted, or access to the final results?
Thanks!

Carole I would watch the media for any such announcement, and I wouldn't expect it soon - it sounds like there is plenty of testing - not to mention scientific journal publications & peer review process - needed first.

Carole, that must be more ease that it seem at the first sight.. As we know, there are plenty of living descendant of the same DNA roots of Richard III. And we can find some right here, through the very Geni's profiles. In fact, I believe that millions of distant cousins living today must have many of the same DNA polymorphic aspects, from A to Z countries. As, for example, this one from Brasília, Brazil:
Richard III, King of England

Thanks, Erica.

Carole, there are three types of DNA tests -- strict paternal line, strict maternal line, and autosomal.

Richard III lived so many generations ago, it isn't likely that anyone living today would match him on an autosomal test. They have test results for Richard III's maternal line. They are still testing for his paternal line.

So, the only way a DNA test could connect someone to Richard III is if their paper trail showed that they belong to the same male line, or the same female line, as Richard III.

For the very few people who would match, a DNA test could be very exciting. For the thousands of other Richard III relatives a test wouldn't show anything.

How many generations is the Autosomal test useful for?

Good question, Erica. Hard to answer, though. An autosomal test is essentially a sampling of the overall DNA. In every generation inheritance is random. So, we're talking probabilities rather than absolutes.

Five generations is an approximate boundary. If you share an ancestor with someone within the past five generations, you will probably have a genetic match, but you might not.

The further back you go, the odds of matching fall dramatically. The furthest back I've matched anyone is 9 generations. Those have been very slender matches -- almost but not quite just "noise".

In populations where people are very interrelated the odds of matching further back are higher.

My guess is that it's good for up to ten generations occasionally but sometimes doesn't give a match at even 5 generations given the FTDNA algorithms and how they set the matching threshhold. I have a cousin who matches my son but not me. Often when I go into Gedmatch I find that I do match people who FTDNA says my son matches but I don't.

I have found matches in my colonial American "cousins" that go back to ten generations or so, but that may be because we have a number of shared ancestors.

According to Geni Richard III Plantagenet is my 16th great uncle.

a cousin is allways a direct ever far descendent of the same remot ancester

Geni is self destructing too many wrong merges my tree has been changed, get it right or don't merge it

Ya , I know they keep telling me certain profiles in my tree match with other but i know it's not true. So even if I could merge , I wouldn't.Don't want to mess things up!

Edward ... and others ....

If you have a persistent problem with mis-merges, you may want to work with a Geni Curator to 'protect' some / most of the key profiles as "Master Profiles. That can help prevent a lot of mistakes.

The place to request MP's (Master Profiles) is here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/83475 ... while the implication in most of that discussion is about "great, well-sourced" profiles, if you have a good reason for wanting to 'protect' a set of profiles from frequent mis-merges (e.g. because of common names, or perhaps because there are bad data on other Internet sites!), ask at that discussion!

Private User If the suggested merge is not a match, just click on that and it will not be suggested for anyone else. That is how you stop bad merges.

Eldon: sometimes you find a valid match that's already had bad merges done to it, and you don't find it out until you okay the merge. That's when it really hits the whirligig.

I managed to empty out the "tree matches" section of my "relatives" merge center some months ago (required a few hours of click-click-click), and now regard it as a priority item to remove false matches as soon as they appear.

I hope this is one reason why I've seen few problems with mismerges in my close family; those magnifying-glass icons are an awful temptation.

Maven, I believe that Judy is saying that she ignores bad matches. That is why I am saying get rid of them.

I've just done a couple of "good" matches which then turn out to have horrendous problems around them; the matches were right but unless I checked the whole tree around them I could not, I think, have foreseen the problems.

I remove completely wrong matches when possible. But, though I do not like having to ask a curator to fix problems every couple of days (and I would not like to be the curator who gets asked), I think this is nonetheless better than having lots of unmerged trees containing the same (correct) information and (different) errors. It's the Wiki principle at work; you get mistakes, but the idea is that they get corrected over time. Insh'allah.

I do the same thing -- aggressively look for matches, merge all that can be merged, do clean up around them, then remove the bad matches. It takes time, yes, but much better than struggling with new merges every time someone else hits that part of the tree.

.....and, anyway, my aunt Hester May Dickinson, from whom I inherited this unfortunate addiction for family history, is variously listed in Mundia as born in Gateshead or Taunton, England; whereas she was actually born in South Africa. I can quite see why people think they have got matches, which prove to be wrong. She would have been amused.

And copying - however careful and critical you are - always includes the possibility of mistakes. I've lost count of how many times baptism information has been entered by me as death information; and while I think I have corrected them all, I cannot be sure.

we are connected

Hi there how are you. I am still new at this I just started this to find sone of my family.thanks Ruth Hill.

Hi Ruth, here you are: "ruth smith hill is your 20th cousin twice removed"
Ruth Smith Hill

Greetings from Brasília(DF)

Deisi Vaz Pinto

Ruth Smith Hill - you will have a lot more luck finding Relatives (even Famous ones) - if you make Profiles of people who Died = Public.

** (top tab) Family > Lists > show advanced controls (next Your name Tree heading) > Filters > Deceased > Update list

Make them Public - and enjoy your new Paths - to many Users & Famous profiles :)

I'm using ~1800 as my cutoff, with a few exceptions (anybody who's deceased and listed in a major resource, like "Anne Arundel Gentry", is "fair game").

Peter Rohel

I have been doing that. Didn't at first, and didn't realize I wasn't. You are right, why keep them private? Better results if you open them up.

Private - many users asked me - why can't I find my Path to the same Famous people - you have ?

Over & over again - it's because there are Private profiles - Ancestors, etc. - on the way to the profile.

Private User - even 1800 cutoff is sometimes - t enough.
If your Paents profile = Private - that can be enough sometimes - Not to be able a Path or show it to Geni.

*switch to Path discussion: http://www.geni.com/discussions/119588 -- for any futher comments on PATHS :)

Peter, - private profiles does not block Geni finding a path. The only effect is that you only see the initials on those names.

What can cause a problem is pending merges, especially parent conflicts.

Private User - Geni has to be shown the Path (trained) sometimes - from Profile view.

In every direction (sometimes few profiles can be skipped) - until you get to the profile you want the path to.

I have done this many times - and if there is 1 or more Private profiles - 90% of the time - you are Unable to proceed.

*the other 10% of the time - in Tree view - going to a nearby Public profile (child, sibling, etc.) - Geni can now find the Path - and you ca continue to you destination profile.

Showing 151-180 of 205 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion