Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
Private
7/9/2013 at 3:56 AM

I have received a very interesting article in Familia 1965 by Dr. AH Jonker. In there it is definetaly stated that Adolph Jonker was not the child of Jonker van Magascar. He was not born out of wedlock and not a child of slaves.
I am going to unlink him from the parents as not to be said I am being milingent again. Hoop dit is reggespel. Read the full article in the sources. Unfortunately it is again in Afrikaans so if anybody feels like translating it you are welcome.
It was brought under my attention by another user and they immediately send me the correct information. I am thus going to lock the profile til a better sources article can be proved this wrong.

Private
7/9/2013 at 3:57 AM

Sorry the link

http://www.geni.com/people/Adolph- Jonker/6000000004054239958

9/29/2014 at 1:30 AM

Private, more recent research by Private User contradicts this altogether: http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/remarkablewriting/UL28_Jonker.pdf, & even more recent DNA tests appear to bear this out in an article by Delia Robertson:
: http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/RemarkableWriting/JonkerDNA.pdf

In light of this I would suggest we relink Adolph Jonker back to his parents (Unknown Profile?)

9/29/2014 at 3:02 AM

Merged the two, as I see that the Profile Curators Judi & June have both been on Geni to see this.

Private
9/29/2014 at 3:21 AM

Sharon I have not been there today or before seeing this message but it is fine. Not as well sources though as the other so we will handle it when someone complainss again.☺

9/29/2014 at 3:38 AM

I've been trying to figure out why the article in Familia 1965 by Dr. AH Jonker is better Sourced that the Upham one? That would be the crucial point.
What Sources do you think are more accurate?

Private User
9/29/2014 at 5:15 AM

Very interesting reads, thanks Sharon.... I would be much more inclined to accept the recent research.. (backed up by the DNA study).

Private User
9/29/2014 at 6:37 AM

@Sharon Adolph Jonker is my 5th g-grandfather (mother's side) so I guess I can add my opinion. I definitely lean toward Mansell & Delia's articles which are underpinned by excellent research, plus DNA results (which I alerted Delia to btw). Their writings are also not coloured by political motivation imo.

9/29/2014 at 6:50 AM

Thanks Don. Well put Christo. Agreed.
There is perhaps a further conversation to be had challenging the Source documentation with Dr Jonker's, by those who disagree.

Private User
9/29/2014 at 6:52 AM

There seems to be an unfinished merge on the tree - http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000004054239958 which maybe those connected to him would like to complete?

9/29/2014 at 7:51 AM

It's waiting for Johannes Frederik Jacobus Jonker to complete it.

Private User
10/21/2014 at 5:31 AM
6/4/2015 at 4:33 AM

Hi @Judith, @Donovan, @Christo, @Sharon, @Catherine

I am very happy to announce that the article for which the DNA analysis (referred to above) had been done in the first place, had been completed by me and Martina Louw and published in the latest edition of Familia (No 52, 2015-2).

Martina and I searched long and hard to find applicable JONKER DNA profiles from two well documented separate lines of descent from Adolph Jonker. Once the DNA profiles delivered the proof we had been looking for, we investigated the possible paternal candidates that would be supported by those results. We spent a lot of effort on this so as to leave little further doubt about this matter and came to the following conclusions:

* Adolph Jonker was from Indonesian ancestry in his Paternal line
* Adolph Jonker was the son of Jonker van Makassar
* Jonker van Makassar was NOT the same person as the so-called Prince of Ternate

Regards
Jaco Strauss

6/4/2015 at 6:35 AM

Thanks Jaco. That's so impressive. Can you post more info for those of us without access to your Familia article?

6/5/2015 at 5:09 AM

Hi @Sharon, please contact me at Jaco Strauss (one word) at gmail and I will discuss with you directly.

Private
6/11/2015 at 2:29 AM

Jaco I read it by now and it is great. Thank you again.
Sharon Doubell this is the 2nd time Jaco contributed DNA to us. 1st Time was a full Strauss in Genesis.
Goeie artikel Jaco. Wel gedaan.
Juds

6/11/2015 at 11:08 PM

There is an English synopsis of the latest JONKER article at http://www.stamouers.com/index.php/stamouers/surnames-h-to-j/231-jo... . The many incorrect links that have been made since 2013 based on the incorrect assumption that Jonker van Makassar and the so-called banned Prince Catchiri Daijman Mamoeti of Ternate were the same person will now need to be corrected.

Private
3/19/2016 at 2:31 AM

Congratulations to Jaco Strauss and Martina for the excellent reward that they have received for the Best Article in Familia at the Genealogical Society Annual Prizegiving on Saturday for this outstanding article.
Cingrats also to Jaco for winning the Golden Banner award for his great work and contribution to the DNA projects in South Africa.
Trots op julle.
Judi

3/19/2016 at 3:03 AM

Well done Em Lo and Jaco Strauss :-)

3/19/2016 at 4:20 PM

Thank you VERY MUCH Judi and Sharon!! Jaco is "off the air" for a while on a well-earned holiday but I think I can speak for both of us for now and say it was indeed a HUGE honour to have received these awards. We were very happy chappies when we heard the great news! ☺

Private
3/20/2016 at 2:57 AM

We are very proud of both of you. Skuilname of te not☺. It is Em Lo en Zoe I wonder who else of my GSSA friends are under the radar here☺.
Jaco in anderland alweer?

3/20/2016 at 6:11 AM

Thanks Judi! Jaco is back from there but away for a while with his family. When we hear from him again his batteries should be super-charged! ☺

Private
3/22/2016 at 2:01 AM

Thats great.
He did e-mail me after the AGM but didn't know he was on holiday.
Stay well.☺

12/4/2020 at 9:00 AM

Riaan Jonker, a direct Y descendant has tested as K-M9.

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion