Technical problems?

Started by Private on Tuesday, July 9, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-150 of 160 posts

Private User, I am still having difficulties adding projects. I think the whole idea of being able to add projects to this is excellent and Geni should be making more of it however it is frustrating when one has a swathe of projects to add and it isn't accepting them.

I do know, Terry, that you have to wait for the 1st 'project addition' to complete before you can add a second. It can take a while if there are a lot of people in the 1st project. Go do something else, then come back to check that the project and the count are shown properly before attempting to add another.

Indeed, some of the larger projects can take a long time to complete. If there is a particular project you want me to watch, let me know. I'll be on vacation until July 13th, so problems with updates and the leaderboard may not get addressed quickly.

Jeff: Does a project have to have at least one profile to be put into the HistorySearch database?

... remember, also, Terry, that the project will have to be manual 're-triggered' (click the little 'recycle' symbol by the name) in HistorySearch to have it load up the current set of profiles within that project.

HistorySearch does not do a dynamic searching of the Geni project for profiles; it's a "local-to-the-server" database. (It looks up the profiles on Geni by way of the family relationships, then checks the local database for any associated projects. It doesn't use the list of projects connected with the profile on Geni.)

I think a project does need at least one profile initially. I'd have to review the code to be sure, but I expect that's why they're not listing.

I suspected this may be the problem so I made sure I added a profile to a project and then tried uploading it. Still failed.

http://www.geni.com/projects/Nonsuch-Palace-Surrey-England/26396

(?? puzzled ??)... Terry: I copied the project number (26396), pasted it in the box on the page http://historylink.herokuapp.com/projects, waited until the 'activity' stopped (the little horizontal bar), then (since the page didn't refresh on its own), refreshed, and then found the project got added (at the bottom, in this case, but they are listed by number, not name, so it might not always be at the bottom).

We, it does work sometimes, if you're lucky. Perhaps I just have to be more patient. They say it's a virtue!

*well, it seems to be working pretty well, touch wood, at the moment!

I tried for ages last night and again this morning to add projects 29284 and 29285 to no avail! I have tried refreshing but still no luck.

Terry Jackson (Switzer), there are no profiles in those projects for HistoryLink to index. I can't recall the code, but I likely ignore the submission.

As these are buildings in London there will no doubt be a number of profiles added in due course. I understood that as long as it was a project inviting profiles it qualified. Has this changed or have I misunderstood?

The furthest I can go back in my code history is 1 Nov 2012 and the code to reject projects that have no profiles had been committed at that time. So, yeah, it's been that way for a while. There are projects that say "None" for the profile count, but that probably indicates they had profiles at one time, but no longer do.

I didn't realise it had changed - I've definitely added projects with no profiles in the past successfully but will bear in mind in future. I see there are quite a number of projects that are never likely to have profiles that could be removed ifyou are short of space:

http://www.geni.com/project-12687

Refresh Project #2243322433: Buckinghamshire Genealogical Resources‎ (None)
Refresh Project #2260722607: Bedfordshire - Genealogical Resources‎ (None)
Refresh Project #2260922609: Berkshire - Genealogical Resources‎ (None)
Refresh Project #2261022610: Cambridgeshire - Genealogical Resources‎ (None)
Refresh Project #2261122611: Cheshire - Genealogical Resources‎ (None)
Refresh Project #2261222612: Cornwall - Genealogical Resources‎ (None)

You're welcome to do so. The syntax should be http://historylink.herokuapp.com/projects?delete=######

Private User I'm having difficulties with History Link loading.

I'm not seeing an issue at the moment. Might have been a temporary problem.

site seems to down at the moment - was trying to add 29433 but couldn't

Appears to be working now... not sure what caused the outage.

Am I the only person telling you when the site's down? Private User It's down at the moment.

Have not tried to access it today so don't know

Terry, yes - I've seen it a few times today. I was forced to update the platform if I wanted to make any further updates. I had some updates needed for SmartCopy, so thus I had to update the platform. I started to see a couple of these crashes when submitting new projects. Not sure what was causing that - trying to keep an eye on it.

Can anyone and the curators in particular suggest projects that I might join to help in my search for info in regard to the Van Meldert lineage? I would appreciate your input in regard to this. Dale Melder melderdale@yahoo.com

You might try using the Ancestor & Descendant graphing tools to see if you recognize any potential 'connecting points' ... or where information may be missing.

Read the Project Description for a bit on how to use them; by changing the 'focus' person you can relatively quickly visualize the extent of direct ancestors or descendants.

The link to the HistoryLink project is the first one listed in the upper left side of this project's discussion.

Today, all of a sudden, the graphing stops at 6-7 generations, even though I'd asked for 10.
I even rebootted...The same thing happens... ???

While I'm at it: A second observation: I can no longer save a .jpg of a graph.
I used to be able to...
I miss "My" historylink... :)
~• Mike vB

Michael: Which profile were you starting with?

Showing 121-150 of 160 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion